Is Worlds "unfair" to individual skaters? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Is Worlds "unfair" to individual skaters?

enlight78

Medalist
Absolutely, Fred. Let's get everybody into the Act.
A series of PreWorlds Tryouts for the Europeans. Two or Three of them, on different days, of course. The top 15 finishers make half the eligible for worlds.

Similarly, for the 4Season group. and the top 15 make the other half.

There you have it and the best in the world will actually compete again in the main event regardless of nationality yet they all had equal chance. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Joe

One question Joe. When would the tryouts be? After 4CC's or befor?. Or will they be at Worlds ?

One question Joe. When would the tryouts be? After 4CC's or befor?. Or will they be at Worlds ?
If we are going to get rigid about that Worlds must be in the winter, then this won't work. I presume that's what you are driving at.

Well, to suggest further: The Tryouts would be from January through en-of-March (to cover the winter) and the Worlds would be in May. A warmer month, and inducisve to tourism.

Of course, this wont happen.

Joe

sorcerer

Final Flight
This doesn't answer the question of the original poster, but if the question was how to see Suguri and Sokolova in the Worlds, I had long thought up of two ways.

1. Have one representative each from the Euros and the 4CC. I wrote about this on the ISU board. (I'm nefertiti there.)

2. Or let Suguri have Canadian citizenship, let her go through Canadian Nationals, let her beat Mira. Fumie was SO cool in the recent DOI show she'd be welcomed, she speaks fluent English, she is fond of Canada.
(How about France for Sokolova?)

Of course these won't come true either.
Unless Fumie gets married to a Canadian guy. :think:

Last edited:

enlight78

Medalist
This doesn't answer the question of the original poster, but if the question was how to see Suguri and Sokolova in the Worlds, I had long thought up of two ways.

1. Have one representative each from the Euros and the 4CC. I wrote about this on the ISU board. (I'm nefertiti there.)

I wonder would this increase the number of elite skaters who participate in 4CC
or decrease it since most of them will have already qualified for worlds.

sorcerer

Final Flight
Most of all, it would give higher motivation to the skaters participating in the 4CC, elite or not.
4CC will be given more significance, more reason to be held.
I think giving merely just two more slots in the Worlds would quite change the scene.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
2. Or let Suguri have Canadian citizenship, let her go through Canadian Nationals, let her beat Mira. Fumie was SO cool in the recent DOI show she'd be welcomed, she speaks fluent English, she is fond of Canada.
(How about France for Sokolova?)

Of course these won't come true either.
Unless Fumie gets married to a Canadian guy. :think:
Unfortunately, Japan does not recognize dual citizenship for adults, and Suguri would have to give up Japanese citizenship to skate for Canada.

There isn't the same problem for Russia and France.