ISU world standings question | Golden Skate

ISU world standings question

samson

Medalist
ETA: Thanks to KIG for answering my question!

I was wondering if there's someone who could help me better understand how the ISU world ranking system works? The math seems off to me when I go to the ISU page.

By the way I understand the ranking system, scores are given by amassing all the points a skater got last season and this season at 100% of their value and any points amassed in the 12/13 season at 70% of their value.

I was looking at ladies worlds rankings and here's what I found.

Let's starts with Elizaveta, the Number 1 ranked skater. While it looks like they have already factored the 12/13 season numbers by .7 when I add them all the numbers up it equals 5085 points. That's 544 points she should have that aren't counted. When trying to account for the missing points here's what I found: There was no event where she earned specifically 544 points. So I checked to see if maybe she was missing several events, and in fact if you add the 252 she got for her second best grand prix in 2012 with one of the 292 points she got for a grand prix in 2013 - that is the missing 544 points.

Why aren't they included?

I then added Mao's points together and hers does indeed add up to 3920 as the list claims. But also, Mao's score comes from only 6 competitions while Eliza's comes from a possible 12 (only 10 are actually being used to add up)

When you get to Julia, her score is 479 points lower than it should be. This time it's both her grand prixs from the 12/13 season.

THEN, if you go to Satoko, she doesn't have ANY of her points from the 12/13 season counted. That's three competitions missing. If Julia and Satoko had all of their points counted Satoko and she would also be ahead of Mao.

I then checked with other skaters like Ashley, who also had a deficit - and finding the missing points wasn't as obvious to me.

I decided to add up the scores myself and I re-ranked the top 40 women here's what I came to. I've included next to their score how much their ranking would change positive or negative. Scores with asterisks are adjusted scores.

1. Elizaveta Tuktamesheva 5085* No change
2. Ashley Wagner 4816* +5
3. Gracie Gold 4613* +3
4. Elena Radianova 4555* +1
5. Satoko Miyahara 4330* -1
6. Julia Lipnitskaia 4304* -3
7. Anna Pogorilaya 4068* -1
8. Mao Asada 3920 -6
9. Kanako Murakami 3893* +1
10. Adelina Sotnikova 3812 -1
11. Viktoria Helgesson 3123* +4
12. Rika Honga 3122* +1
13. Joshi Helgesson 2774* +9
14. Carolina Kostner 2762 -3
15. Samantha Cesario 2734* +1
16. Mae B. Meite 2733* +2
17. Polina Edmunds 2702 -5
18. Zijun Li 2689* +2
19. Courtney Hicks 2656* -5
20. Haruka Imai 2520* -20
21. Alena Leanova 2461* -4
22. Gabriella Daleman 2394* +3
23. Mirai Nagasu 2321* +4
24. Alaine Chartrand 2299* +2

25. Nathalie Weinzierl 2207* +7
26. Valentina Marchei 2177 -5
27. Nicole Rajicova 2077* -1
28. Roberta Rodeghiero 2062* -1
29. Evgenia Medvedeva 2039 -6
30. Serafima Sakhanovich 2030 -6
31. Brooklee Han 1903*+2
32. So Youn Park 1790* -1
33. Christina Gao 1696 -3
34. Laurine Lecavelier 1569* +1
35. Hae Jin Kim 1540* +3
36. Miyabi Oba 1514* +3
37. Natalia Popova 1510* +3
38. Agnes Zawadzki 1497 -4
39. Nikol Gosviani 1450 -3
40. Maria Sotskova 1408 -3

The common denominator I found with scores that were still the same after I added them up was those were all skaters that only had points amassed from only two out of three seasons. It didn't matter if the season was 12/13 or 14/15.

I'm not sure why this is, but it does seem to be relatively significant for some skaters, specifically with Grand Prix assignments. The only skater that should be negatively affected for grand prix would be Valentina if she were to decide to compete next year. She would drop out of the top 24 to 26th.

The other skaters that would drop out of the top 24 are Evgenia and Serafima but it wouldn't necessarily affect their grand prix assignments because they still are in the top 24 seasons best.

It would likely positively affect Mirai and Alaine because they would go from being out of the top 24 to just inside it - which should guarantee them one assignment each, which is significant since neither finished top 12 at worlds or were in the top 24 seasons best.

I haven't looked at the other disciplines yet - but I'm curious could anyone explain this? Why is there this discrepancy? Maybe there's a rule I'm missing?

I'm not trying to be an alarmist, but if this is a mistake what are peoples thoughts? It's potentially alarming, because even if it's just a mistake on the ISU's calculation system it's still a pretty big one. That would mean in the top 40 ranking only 27.5% of those scores are accurate.

What's going on? :shrug:

Last edited:

KIG

Rinkside
I haven't looked at the other disciplines yet - but I'm curious could anyone explain this? Why is there this discrepancy? Maybe there's a rule I'm missing?

2.3 Within the preceding two seasons and the current season the following events will be
considered for the ISU World Standings order, season’s factors as per C.1. to be considered:

2.3.1 ISU Championships and Olympic Winter Games: The best result by points per
season; the best two results by points over a period not longer than 2 completed
seasons plus the current season;

2.3.2 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating and Final: The two best results by points per
season; the best four results by points over a period not longer than 2 completed

2.3.3 ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating and Final: The two best results by points
per season; the best four results by points over a period not longer than 2 completed

2.3.4 International Senior Calendar Competitions: The two best results by points per
season; the best four results by points over a period not longer than 2 completed

http://static.isu.org/media/99358/1629-world-standing-sandp_id.pdf

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I was wondering if there's someone who could help me better understand how the ISU world ranking system works? The math seems off to me when I go to the ISU page.

By the way I understand the ranking system, scores are given by amassing all the points a skater got last season and this season at 100% of their value and any points amassed in the 12/13 season at 70% of their value.

I was looking at ladies worlds rankings and here's what I found. ...

Sort-of-picky (sorry), but sort-of-important comment:
Your question (per the details in your full OP) is about ISU World Standings.
http://www.isuresults.com/ws/ws/wsladies.htm

Not to be confused with ISU Season's World Rankings.

Two very different metrics with names that unfortunately are quite similar.

The similarity in names has caused a lot of confusion in previous GS threads. Just trying to minimize confusion going forward.

2.3 Within the preceding two seasons and the current season the following events will be
considered for the ISU World Standings order, season’s factors as per C.1. to be considered: ...

Thx to KIG for posting the salient answer :).

Last edited:

Noolan

On the Ice
Elaborating on the topic of the thread, that system is weird. There are two slots for B events, two slots for Grand Prix and just one slot for the championships. I don't see how that makes a lot of sense. If Euro/4C gave points separately from World/Olympics, the whole ranking would look differently. Right now your Euro/4C results are pretty much discarded if you give a better performance at World/Olympics. What's the logic here? If you look at Tuktamisheva, random B events brought her 600 points and Euro gold brought her nothing. That's just silly.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Good to know about the two different rankings. I was confused as to how some skaters were lower than they had ever finished in any competition of their career, while some retired skaters were still listed. The season/lifetime thing clears that up a lot.

Noolan

On the Ice
I think one of the purposes of the ranking system is to get skaters to participate in B events.
Yeah, but those weird calculations lead to people pretty much ignoring the ranking. Being ranked #1 doesn't really mean anything when it's calculated in such a weird way.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Yeah, but those weird calculations lead to people pretty much ignoring the ranking. Being ranked #1 doesn't really mean anything when it's calculated in such a weird way.

"People" are free to ignore the World Standings, but the ISU uses the World Standings as a factor in determining things like starting orders and GP assignments.

So skaters/coaches/federations who ignore them do so at their peril.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

The rankings are pretty useless. Yuna won worlds in 2013 and I don't think she was even ranked among the top 20 (15?) heading into Sochi.

samson

Medalist
aaaaah WOW ok thank you KIG. A little embarrassing I went through all the work for naught, but also very glad I asked!

And thank Golden 411 for the correction! I'll change the name of the thread now to try to avoid any further confusion. :)

So here's another question. When determining Grand Prix assignments where world ranking comes into play, will they include the 12/13 season or get rid of it and just use 13/14 and 14/15 with 13/14 factored by .7?

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... So here's another question. When determining Grand Prix assignments where world ranking comes into play, will they include the 12/13 season or get rid of it and just use 13/14 and 14/15 with 13/14 factored by .7?

The updated World Standings (re-weighted and with 2012/13 points eliminated) will be used for 2015 GP assignments, I am 99% sure.

BTW, after 2015 Worlds, chuckm calculated the re-weighting of the Men's World Standings. I've copied below his post from the 2015 Worlds Men's FS thread.

(Even our esteemed chuckm meant World Standings but accidentally referred to World Rankings.)

I did a quick calculation of the Worlds Ranking reweighting (men only). Here are the top 24 plus Chan:

1 4067 HANYU Yuzuru
2 3411 FERNANDEZ Javier
3 3123 TEN Denis
4 3086 VORONOV Sergei
5 2971 KOVTUN Maxim
6 2727 MURA Takahito
6 2727 BROWN Jason
8 2615 YAN Han
9 2491 MACHIDA Tatsuki (retired)
10 2444 BREZINA Michal
11 2161 PETROV Alexander
12 2150 NGUYEN Nam
13 2114 GE Misha
14 2075 UNO Shomo
15 2052 DORNBUSH Richard
16 2012 MENSHOV Konstantin
17 1844 RIPPON Adam
18 1838 MURAKAMI Daisuke
19 1790 AARON Max
20 1743 BYCHENKO Alexei
21 1725 KOZUKA Takahiko
22 1669 LIEBERS Peter
23 1582 JIN Boyang
24 1557 PITKEEV Adian
25 1540 CHAN Patrick

It doesn't matter that Farris isn't in the top 24 since he gets two guaranteed GP assignments, having finished in the top 12 at Worlds.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
That one slot for worlds/olympics/euros/4cc can give some strange results.

In the dance, Stepanova/Bukin have 680 points in that slot based on 3rd at Euros. Ilinykh/Zhiganshin have 638 points based on 7th at worlds. So I/Z have less points in this slot, even though they were 2 places ahead of S/B at worlds

Before worlds were held I/Z had 612 points based on 4th at euros; they gained very few net points due to their worlds placing (only 638-612=26).

Also, since only the "best" result is counted, the points for both teams are exactly the same as they would have been if S/B had totally bombed at worlds or I/Z had totally bombed at Europeans.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Sort-of-picky (sorry), but sort-of-important comment:
Your question (per the details in your full OP) is about ISU World Standings.
http://www.isuresults.com/ws/ws/wsladies.htm

Not to be confused with ISU Season's World Rankings.

Two very different metrics with names that unfortunately are quite similar.

The similarity in names has caused a lot of confusion in previous GS threads. Just trying to minimize confusion going forward.

Golden, I may not know whether you are male or female, but I could give you a massive hug right now!

I never knew the ISU kept track of the points earned in individual seasons ("World Rankings"). I thought they just kept track over 2 seasons ("World Standings").

And, hence, I have been making the same mistake of using the terms "World Standings" and "World Rankings" inter-changably.

You can blame snooker for that. Their 2-season system is called "World Rankings", and unlike in figure skating, it actually means something. So I guess that's why I naturally found myself using that term for the 2-season system in figure skating as well.

But, now that I do know that figure skating does have a single-season system, it is the final piece of the jigsaw in my masterplan!!! Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!!

(Why did I decide to write out my ideas yesterday?! Now I have to go back and re-write a whole chunk of it! :rolleye: )

THANK YOU!!!!! :bow:

CaroLiza_fan

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
:slink: World standings go over THREE seasons, not two. The third season only counts 70% of what the other two do, though. There is always a massive change when the oldest season drops off and the new season, which is, of course full of zeroes at first, is added.

To add to the confusion, IceNetwork keeps a world standings record, but it weights the seasons differently and includes data from Nationals and all ISU listed events.

http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/rankings

A skater or team's ranking is determined by the number of points accumulated during the current season and the two previous seasons.

The system is weighted so that recent finishes count more than older ones. Skaters receive 100 percent credit from results from the current season; point totals from the previous season are factored by .7, and results from two seasons ago are multiplied by .3. The rankings work on an approximate rolling, 104-week calendar. By "approximate," it means that competitions in the 2014-15 season will be matched up with corresponding competitions in the 2012-13 season to determine when the points from the latter will be eliminated from all skaters' records.

For example, once the first Junior Grand Prix event is competed in the fall of 2014, for those skaters who have the first JGP event of 2012 on their records, the points for that event will be eliminated, regardless of whether that skater has competed in the current season.
The eligible competitions for which the skater/team earned the 10 highest point totals in the approximate 104-week time period will count toward that skater/team's total score. Any competition that appears on the ISU calendar is an eligible competition. National championships and national junior championships are eligible competitions as well. However, if a skater competes at his or her junior and senior national championships in the same season, the senior-level result will take precedence over the junior-level result, regardless of which point total is greater.

To be included in the icenetwork World Figure Skater Rankings, skaters must be active and have maintained their ISU eligibility. Retired skaters or skaters who are not eligible to compete in ISU competitions may not appear in the rankings.

More details on how IN calculates standings are here. There are weighting factors for a lot of situations:

http://web.icenetwork.com/documents/2012/09/06/38002322/3/Scoring_Breakdown.pdf

When a skater hits top 15 in icenetwork's World Rankings, they get an icenetwork Bio, if they did not already have one. IN bios do not require a subscription to view, and include links to photo galleries and news stories, a listing of all competition results, and all their program details.

Check out Papadakis and Cizeron's new bio for an example:

http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/team/papadakis_cizeron

It can be fun to look at World Rankings (one season), Icenetwork standings (mostly two seasons), and World Standings (three seasons) to see how placements evolve in the skating world.

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
:slink: World standings go over THREE seasons, not two. The third season only counts 70% of what the other two do, though. There is always a massive change when the oldest season drops off and the new season, which is, of course full of zeroes at first, is added.

To add to the confusion, IceNetwork keeps a world standings record, but it weights the seasons differently and includes data from Nationals and all ISU listed events.

http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/rankings

More details on how IN calculates standings are here. There are weighting factors for a lot of situations:

http://web.icenetwork.com/documents/2012/09/06/38002322/3/Scoring_Breakdown.pdf

When a skater hits top 15 in icenetwork's World Rankings, they get an icenetwork Bio, if they did not already have one. IN bios do not require a subscription to view, and include links to photo galleries and news stories, a listing of all competition results, and all their program details.

Check out Papadakis and Cizeron's new bio for an example:
http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/team/papadakis_cizeron

It can be fun to look at World Rankings (one season), Icenetwork standings (mostly two seasons), and World Standings (three seasons) to see how placements evolve in the skating world.

Oh, not again! :bang:

I should have realised that when I wrote something stupid in one of the 2 comments I posted this morning, that I probably wrote something stupid in the other as well! :rolleye:

For goodness sake, if I had clicked through to the page, I would have seen 3 rows of scores! :slink:

Anyway, enough about me. Back to the topic.

Mmmm. So there are actually three systems for ordering the skaters

1 Season: World Rankings
2 Seasons: Ice Network Standings
3 Seasons: World Standings

Is it any wonder that people get confused?! :confused:

I'm more convinced than ever that the way skaters are seeded needs to be reformed so that it is perfectly clear to casual fans why 1 skater is seeded higher than another.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited by a moderator:

deneb

On the Ice
I calculated the updated World Standings (top 36; but if you need more I have the whole standings) for all categories when season 2012/2013 will be dropped and season 2013/2014 will be factored by 70%:

Men
  1. 4067 Yuzuru HANYU
  2. 3410 Javier FERNANDEZ
  3. 3122 Denis TEN
  4. 3086 Sergei VORONOV
  5. 2972 Maxim KOVTUN
  6. 2727 Jason BROWN
  7. 2727 Takahito MURA
  8. 2491 Tatsuki MACHIDA
  9. 2443 Michal BREZINA
  10. 2164 Han YAN
  11. 2162 Alexander PETROV
  12. 2150 Nam NGUYEN
  13. 2115 Misha GE
  14. 2075 Shoma UNO
  15. 2012 Konstantin MENSHOV
  16. 1872 Adian PITKEEV
  17. 1843 Adam RIPPON
  18. 1838 Daisuke MURAKAMI
  19. 1790 Max AARON
  20. 1743 Alexei BYCHENKO
  21. 1725 Takahiko KOZUKA
  22. 1716 Richard DORNBUSH
  23. 1668 Peter LIEBERS
  24. 1582 Boyang JIN
  25. 1540 Patrick CHAN
  26. 1467 Jeremy ABBOTT
  27. 1428 Joshua FARRIS
  28. 1393 Florent AMODIO
  29. 1366 Ivan RIGHINI
  30. 1365 Alexander MAJOROV
  31. 1351 June Hyoung LEE
  32. 1300 Chafik BESSEGHIER
  33. 1268 Daniel SAMOHIN
  34. 1248 Nathan CHEN
  35. 1184 Petr COUFAL
  36. 1143 Alexander SAMARIN

Ladies
  1. 3692 Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA
  2. 3277 Elena RADIONOVA
  3. 3273 Satoko MIYAHARA
  4. 3044 Gracie GOLD
  5. 2976 Ashley WAGNER
  6. 2886 Anna POGORILAYA
  7. 2600 Julia LIPNITSKAIA
  8. 2445 Kanako MURAKAMI
  9. 2435 Rika HONGO
  10. 2379 Polina EDMUNDS
  11. 1987 Samantha CESARIO
  12. 1845 Viktoria HELGESSON
  13. 1758 Evgenia MEDVEDEVA
  14. 1755 Courtney HICKS
  15. 1750 Gabrielle DALEMAN
  16. 1735 Joshi HELGESSON
  17. 1726 Serafima SAKHANOVICH
  18. 1706 Alaine CHARTRAND
  19. 1680 Mao ASADA
  20. 1662 Alena LEONOVA
  21. 1555 Nicole RAJICOVA
  22. 1507 Roberta RODEGHIERO
  23. 1506 Haruka IMAI
  24. 1492 Mae Berenice MEITE
  25. 1476 Zijun LI
  26. 1460 Adelina SOTNIKOVA
  27. 1442 Mirai NAGASU
  28. 1315 Angelina KUCHVALSKA
  29. 1268 Brooklee HAN
  30. 1263 So Youn PARK
  31. 1236 Maria SOTSKOVA
  32. 1220 Nathalie WEINZIERL
  33. 1219 Lutricia BOCK
  34. 1188 Elizabet TURSYNBAEVA
  35. 1159 Carolina KOSTNER
  36. 1135 Karen CHEN

Pairs
  1. 4000 Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORD
  2. 3238 Ksenia STOLBOVA / Fedor KLIMOV
  3. 3155 Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN
  4. 3069 Cheng PENG / Hao ZHANG
  5. 2731 Alexa SCIMECA / Chris KNIERIM
  6. 2589 Haven DENNEY / Brandon FRAZIER
  7. 2319 Qing PANG / Jian TONG
  8. 2315 Evgenia TARASOVA / Vladimir MOROZOV
  9. 2155 Xiaoyu YU / Yang JIN
  10. 2031 Mari VARTMANN / Aaron VAN CLEAVE
  11. 2024 Nicole DELLA MONICA / Matteo GUARISE
  12. 2012 Yuko KAVAGUTI / Alexander SMIRNOV
  13. 1863 Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES
  14. 1799 Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR / Maxim TRANKOV
  15. 1777 Lina FEDOROVA / Maxim MIROSHKIN
  16. 1657 Miriam ZIEGLER / Severin KIEFER
  17. 1458 Tarah KAYNE / Daniel O SHEA
  18. 1428 Julianne SEGUIN / Charlie BILODEAU
  19. 1312 Madeline AARON / Max SETTLAGE
  20. 1287 Alessandra CERNUSCHI / Filippo AMBROSINI
  21. 1214 Maria VIGALOVA / Egor ZAKROEV
  22. 1146 Jessica CALALANG / Zack SIDHU
  23. 1089 Kristina ASTAKHOVA / Alexei ROGONOV
  24. 1052 Vera BAZAROVA / Andrei DEPUTAT
  25. 1023 Bianca MANACORDA / Niccolo MACII
  26. 1019 Narumi TAKAHASHI / Ryuichi KIHARA
  27.   921 Caitlin YANKOWSKAS / Hamish GAMAN
  28.   902 Amani FANCY / Christopher BOYADJI
  29.   900 Annabelle PRÖLSS / Ruben BLOMMAERT
  30.   887 Julia ANTIPOVA / Nodari MAISURADZE
  31.   882 Valentina MARCHEI / Ondrej HOTAREK
  32.   852 Xuehan WANG / Lei WANG
  33.   811 Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS / Michael MARINARO
  34.   780 Anna DUSKOVA / Martin BIDAR
  35.   775 Mary ORR / Phelan SIMPSON
  36.   750 Anastasia GUBANOVA / Alexei SINTSOV

Ice Dance
  1. 4006 Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE
  2. 3633 Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES
  3. 3419 Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON
  4. 3280 Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI
  5. 2741 Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER
  6. 2621 Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE
  7. 2607 Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE
  8. 2467 Nelli ZHIGANSHINA / Alexander GAZSI
  9. 2297 Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI
  10. 2124 Ksenia MONKO / Kirill KHALIAVIN
  11. 2076 Kaitlin HAWAYEK / Jean-Luc BAKER
  12. 2001 Penny COOMES / Nicholas BUCKLAND
  13. 1985 Sara HURTADO / Adria DIAZ
  14. 1864 Alexandra PAUL / Mitchell ISLAM
  15. 1855 Meryl DAVIS / Charlie WHITE
  16. 1835 Anna YANOVSKAYA / Sergey MOZGOV
  17. 1828 Alexandra NAZAROVA / Maxim NIKITIN
  18. 1715 Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIR
  19. 1700 Alexandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKIN
  20. 1654 Federica TESTA / Lukas CSOLLEY
  21. 1508 Lorraine MCNAMARA / Quinn CARPENTER
  22. 1470 Elena ILINYKH / Ruslan ZHIGANSHIN
  23. 1458 Rebeka KIM / Kirill MINOV
  24. 1428 Shiyue WANG / Xinyu LIU
  25. 1414 Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV
  26. 1408 Alexandra ALDRIDGE / Daniel EATON
  27. 1359 Madeline EDWARDS / Zhao Kai PANG
  28. 1329 Laurence FOURNIER BEAUDRY / Nikolaj SORENSEN
  29. 1301 Nicole ORFORD / Thomas WILLIAMS
  30. 1276 Rachel PARSONS / Michael PARSONS
  31. 1248 Betina POPOVA / Yuri VLASENKO
  32. 1211 Mackenzie BENT / Garrett MACKEEN
  33. 1127 Alisa AGAFONOVA / Alper UCAR
  34. 1006 Irina SHTORK / Taavi RAND
  35.   923 Anastasia CANNUSCIO / Colin MCMANUS
  36.   906 Cathy REED / Chris REED

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I calculated the updated World Standings (top 36; but if you need more I have the whole standings) for all categories when season 2012/2013 will be dropped and season 2013/2014 will be factored by 70%: ...

Men
1872 Adian PITKEEV
1716 Richard DORNBUSH

Thanks, deneb.

Curious that chuckm's calculation of the reweighting came up with different points for Dornbush and Pitkeev:

I don't know which calculation is right and which is wrong, but Dornbush would be the #2 U.S. man in the standings by one vs. the #4 by the other :think: :confused2: ...

Last edited:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
The rankings are pretty useless. Yuna won worlds in 2013 and I don't think she was even ranked among the top 20 (15?) heading into Sochi.
I think the rankings are pretty helpful for the skaters who're ranked high. I think I'm not the only one who thinks that Yuna's SP score in Sochi would have been higher if only her starting number had been higher.

deneb

On the Ice
Thanks, deneb.

Curious that chuckm's calculation of the reweighting came up with different points for Dornbush and Pitkeev:
I don't know which calculation is right and which is wrong, but Dornbush would be the #2 U.S. man in the standings by one vs. the #4 by the other :think: :confused2: ...

I used a script made by me to calculate all scores automatically. I checked again and it seems ok.

Current standings:

132638Richard DORNBUSH
USA
2014/2015 season (100%)
2013/2014 season (100%)
2012/2013 season (70%)
232176Adian PITKEEV
RUS
2014/2015 season (100%)
2013/2014 season (100%)
2012/2013 season (70%)

Reweighted: