Japan Times: Mao, JSF appear content to retain present course | Golden Skate

Japan Times: Mao, JSF appear content to retain present course

Bennett

Record Breaker
It seems that no change would happen to Mao's team this season. That seems her choice. Although the team doesn't seem to be working well, it could be even harder to change it at the middle of the season. There are many more years to go in her career.

figurejennah

On the Ice
sigh..... Mao.................Well, at least I am not concerned about her making to the Olympics. I read a newspaper article that the Japanese Federation will almost make sure that she makes it! (So the question is who will be the other two... Miki, Akiko, or...... Yukari....?)

Last edited:

evangeline

Record Breaker
sigh..... Mao.................Well, at least I am not concerned about her making to the Olympics. I read a newspaper article that the Japanese Federation will almost make sure that hse makes it! (So the question is who will be the other two... Miki, Akiko, or...... Yukari....?)

I think that Miki, reigning world bronze medalist, former world champion and winner of 2 GP events this season, is pretty much a lock for the team, provided that she doesn't completely implode during Japanese Nationals. It's the third spot that is up in the air at the moment.

figurejennah

On the Ice
I think that Miki, reigning world bronze medalist, former world champion and winner of 2 GP events this season, is pretty much a lock for the team, provided that she doesn't completely implode during Japanese Nationals. It's the third spot that is up in the air at the moment.

I still can't believe that Mao chose bells of Moscow for her LP. It's like a never ending bad dream.......AHHH. I couldn't even watch Cup of Russia when
it was on TV ....... poor Mao......... :( So, even if Mao bombed Japan nationals, she will certainly come to the olympics, right?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Asada may be able to do it at Japan nationals but can she do it under Olympic Pressure? stay tuned.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Jump layout is the same.

SP : 3A-2T, 3F, 2A
LP : 3A-2T, 3A, 3F-2L, 3L, 3F-2L-2L, 3T, 2A

Reading in between the lines (and those triple axels!), Mao is probably either going to win in a blaze of glory or bomb her way off the podium. *sigh* I don't know how I'm going to watch Mao at the Olympics without the help of sedatives...

R.D.

Record Breaker
Reading in between the lines (and those triple axels!), Mao is probably either going to win in a blaze of glory or bomb her way off the podium.

It IS a risk after all, and the question is whether it is worth it or not. With everyone always playing it safe at the Olys anyway I wouldn't be surprised to see her drop one or both of them.

Phoenix347

Final Flight
If she hit all her jumps, she's going to be very very formidable in any competition. Do not write her off. Remember she says it's just a mental issue.

If I remember correctly, under the new rules of the Japanese Skating Federation for choosing its world and Olympic teams, the skater who finishes highest in the Grand Prix Final automatically makes the team (maybe she has to medal?).

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
If I remember correctly, under the new rules of the Japanese Skating Federation for choosing its world and Olympic teams, the skater who finishes highest in the Grand Prix Final automatically makes the team (maybe she has to medal?).

Yeah, she has to medal, if I remember correctly.

BlackAxel

Final Flight
http://www.asahi.com/olympics/columns/mao_asada/TKY200911240169.html

Mao is training with Shanetta in Japan.

They shortened step sequence 45 seconds to 38 seconds. (SP? LP?)

Jump layout is the same.

SP : 3A-2T, 3F, 2A
LP : 3A-2T, 3A, 3F-2L, 3L, 3F-2L-2L, 3T, 2A

Looking at that jump layout I am stunned at the lack of diversity there is in Mao's jumps....what about the 3S or the 3Ltz....it just seems to be 3A, 3T, 3L, and 3F. I really hope Mao can get her jumps back together and stop concentrating mainly on the 3A.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Mao likes the Bell

http://www.asahi.com/olympics/columns/mao_asada/TKY200911240169.html
In the article, Mao says that it is out of question to change the program before delivering it perfectly, that it's instilled into her body as she practiced it everyday since the off season, that she couldn't do it all over again from the start, and that she doesn't want to throw out such everyday efforts in vain.
She also says that TAT made long-remembered programs for Yag and Shiz. Not only TAT recommended it, but also she wants to perform a long-remembered program. She wants to deliver a superb performance and wants to accomplish creating a fine work.

She sounds confident in the practice that she's had since the off season. She also seems to have great trust in TAT.
Regarding 3A, she says that 3A was going well in practice, but that her nervousness affected her entry to the jump.

Last edited:

SXTN

Final Flight
i don't know why she is not risking a 3-3... even if it's downgraded , the judges aren't supposed to give negative GOE anymore..... she has to risk more and show more than GOE-yuna if she wants to stay competitive...

and no salchow and no lutz.... but hey: she can do a 3T now...

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Yeah, I've wondered why. Her 3F-3T seems to be good enough.

I really wish she would bring it back. At least have it as a planned element. Skating with no 3/3 and no lutz is a very odd way to go about being olympic champion. But i wish her the absolute best.