Jason Brown | Page 958 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

macy

Record Breaker
Another snippet about Jason competing, but this is the first one I've seen since it was confirmed he was not doing the GP: there is hope for the future::pray:

Brown, a 27-year-old who was sixth at the Olympics, is on “a mini break from the competitive grind of training” and will reevaluate next steps in the fall, a representative said.

He has a representative?:biggrin: (Of course I know about his agents, it just sounds so different to me, we're so used to Jason's effusiveness in dodging questions. ;)

this makes me feel better.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
He's been posting a lot from The Ice, but I think that's done now. It looked like they all had a great time doing that show and traveling together. I'm pretty sure he's doing a seminar in Peru this month, but not sure when and he has at least one more Ice Show in Japan at the end of August. It's Friends on Ice. So far the only US skaters are Jason and Jeremy Abbott, but Kaitlyn and Andrew from Canada are skating as well. Shoma is in that show too and also Stephane. He hasn't announced or hinted about anything else.

Maybe this is a good time for a Jason Fantasy Game. What Will Jason Do? All answers are acceptable! The season could be from September through US Nationals or September 1st 2022 to August 31st 2023. Anyone want to play? Do we need a separate thread in the Edge?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Great idea, although we should probably keep it here. In The Edge we might get “return and be overscored again, he doesn’t even have a quad, yada yada yada” and my eyes glaze over....

I have an immediate question: the Peru seminar starts Aug. 3. Will Jason go directly from Japan, or return to Chicago and connect? It comes out to 20 plus hours of flying either way.:eek:

I vote for coaching, thinking, shows and coming back at Nats. Then I think he is done with competition 😭 and I hope🤞 he can find a dual coaching/teaching gig in Japan.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Great idea, although we should probably keep it here. In The Edge we might get “return and be overscored again, he doesn’t even have a quad, yada yada yada” and my eyes glaze over....

I have an immediate question: the Peru seminar starts Aug. 3. Will Jason go directly from Japan, or return to Chicago and connect? It comes out to 20 plus hours of flying either way.:eek:

I vote for coaching, thinking, shows and coming back at Nats. Then I think he is done with competition 😭 and I hope🤞 he can find a dual coaching/teaching gig in Japan.
That's a good guess. I think he might want to finish school. If he transfers to a Chicago school, he could coach and choreograph in Chicago, live with his family for a year while he figures things out and he can still do summer ice shows in Japan if invited. Nationals is an attractive prospect, because his entire family can be present, he can train at the rink with Ro and spend a couple of weeks with Tracy and Brian to get into competition shape pretty easily from there. So my official guess is shows, coach/seminars and choreo, live in Chicago, get ready to finish school, and maybe consider skating one last Nats.

Anyone else want to chime in?

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That's a good guess. I think he might want to finish school. If he transfers to a Chicago school, he could coach and choreograph in Chicago, live with his family for a year while he figures things out and he can still do summer ice shows in Japan if invited. Nationals is an attractive prospect, because his entire family can be present, he can train at the rink with Ro and spend a couple of weeks with Tracy and Brian to get into competition shape pretty easily from there. So my official guess is shows, coach/seminars and choreo, live in Chicago, get ready to finish school, and maybe consider skating one last Nats.

Anyone else want to chime in?
I'd like for Jason to consider another quad. He can skip the Grand Prix, but still do a challenger or two. He probably would get Japan Open. Do Nationals and hopefully then will do 4CC and Worlds. If he still feels like competing , he should. He has nothing to prove, so he should feel like he can compete at his own pace.
If he does decide to retire, I hope he goes to Nationals, I think he would at least get Bronze and retire at World Team Trophy.

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
I'd like for Jason to consider another quad. He can skip the Grand Prix, but still do a challenger or two. He probably would get Japan Open. Do Nationals and hopefully then will do 4CC and Worlds. If he still feels like competing , he should. He has nothing to prove, so he should feel like he can compete at his own pace.
If he does decide to retire, I hope he goes to Nationals, I think he would at least get Bronze and retire at World Team Trophy.
I hope he considers another quad, too - and skates on his terms. Jason seems to fare better when some of the pressure is off. By not including the quads in his Olympics performances, he produced two of the best skates of his career.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, this photo collage I am reposting with a question:

can anyone tell who is with Jason in the two person black and white photo (and yes, I can tell which one Jason is :) )

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, this photo collage I am reposting with a question:

can anyone tell who is with Jason in the two person black and white photo (and yes, I can tell which one Jason is :) )
Pretty sure that's Junwhan Cha, el. He was wearing a black baseball cap and had glasses perched on the cap in many pictures. That's what I see in the photo -- cap with glasses.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nothing particularly new, while Jason has the nerve to relax and sun himself on Peruvian beaches:sneaky:. But I re-found this NYT magazine article while doing a little research on Riverdance.

Sad, because it was probably written in anticipation of Jason making the Oly team that year, but still a wealth of information on how Jason trained and worked with Kori and Rohene. Flashback Wednesday:laugh:

Gifting the article:

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Nothing particularly new, while Jason has the nerve to relax and sun himself on Peruvian beaches:sneaky:. But I re-found this NYT magazine article while doing a little research on Riverdance.

Sad, because it was probably written in anticipation of Jason making the Oly team that year, but still a wealth of information on how Jason trained and worked with Kori and Rohene. Flashback Wednesday:laugh:

Gifting the article:

Why sad? He did make that Olympic Team in 2014. The article is dated 2014 in Feb after the Team Event.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why sad? He did make that Olympic Team in 2014. The article is dated 2014 in Feb after the Team Event.

You are right, I was thinking of the 2018 NY Times magazine article in 2017. :palmf: No more sad. :)

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
While it was traumatic at the time, I can't help but believe that the course of Jason's career would have been very different and not as rewarding if he had made the team in 2018. His 4 years with Cricket, especially the first two, opened up the world to Jason and gave him a chance to grow and expand. The only thing I would have changed were a couple of those freeskates. But they did show the world that Jason and Ro were a world class team, and Jason now wants to do choreo. Sometimes not so great events have great outcomes.

That's not to say that USNats 2018 wasn't traumatic. I had PTSD for months.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason will be competing at the Japan Open for Team North America:hap10: So far the only North American men’s skater named for the Open.

If I am reading the Japanese Fan Club Twitter (Twitter translate) correctly, he is also doing the associated show, Carnival on Ice?

No rest for our boy, GP or no GP:biggrin:

sworddance21

On the Ice
Jason will be competing at the Japan Open for Team North America:hap10: So far the only North American men’s skater named for the Open.

If I am reading the Japanese Fan Club Twitter (Twitter translate) correctly, he is also doing the associated show, Carnival on Ice?

No rest for our boy, GP or no GP:biggrin:

What a lovely bit of news to wake up to this AM!!

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And after the news Jason posted this.

So The Impossible Dream is not an LP?

Will he be skating Sinnerman for the rest of his life? (I wish, I could watch fifty times a year)
???

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wonder when the US will announce the other 2 skaters?

Well, it's Team North America, so it could be Canadian skaters or even Donovan😍. I believe it is the option of the Japan Open organizers: they invite, and see who comes.

But clearly since I didn't know about the "LP only", I am not the biggest Japan Open expert😅

sworddance21

On the Ice
Well, it's Team North America, so it could be Canadian skaters or even Donovan😍. I believe it is the option of the Japan Open organizers: they invite, and see who comes.

But clearly since I didn't know about the "LP only", I am not the biggest Japan Open expert😅
Right - thanks. I forgot that it was Team North America! I'm down for Donovan. ;) Or Keegs!!