Javier Fernandez | Page 178 | Golden Skate

Javier Fernandez

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
One more vid from the Reebok shoot two weeks ago -Patry Jordan' vlog (Javi on for a few seconds around 6'30). And at the same time possibly an interview was made - some pics here.

Then it was a apparently almost a week of mostly silence - with the exception of the clip with his parents published (and that was made earlier, obviously).

I guess he was preparing for the last week in July in Granada where he held a masterclass for a couple days and had David Wilson over for working on the FS... Pics here, here and here. From working with David, some pics. The new skates were also introduced from Granada (although he did not use them that much yet based on pics :biggrin:). There was also a camp for female hockey goalies and Javi was photographed together with Alba Gonzalo who will be playing in the Finnish league next season!

On Friday July 28, Javi was back in Madrid (he had maybe 4 days to work with David at the same time he working on the classes and with all the other actvity at the rink, so if it was the entire FS, it was done in much less than 4 days :eek:). The wax statue has gotten to a fairly advanced state based on the pics. What do you think? I feel like the artist has not belived the measurements and gone with the birdboned reality, as at this stage it looks more like Javi + 10 years (and 10 kgs) after his skating career... Or slightly larger than life? It will be revealed on December 15.

Last week he was busy with international summer camp (28 students from 12 countries! here with the Irish lads) at La Nevera at Majadahonda just outside Madrid, pics from FedHielo. On August 2, he received a commemorative plaque from the city of Madrid as a thanks for organizing the camp (as explained by Hielo Espanol), some pics here. During the week, they also continued work with the "Road to Korea" documentary: on his way to work, and some vids of him in action. Some pics from what seems to be the production company that does the documentary (Zion Gate Films), from the rink, and from an interview (and one from the Temple of Debod). And here's Prof Javi explaining once again how do to the Axel - geddit?

Hielo Espanol made an interview for Marca during the camp - it should have come out over the weekend, but so far I have seen nothing. They promise even some surprises...

Javi's summer in Spain in soon over - in the spring he said that he'd be back by mid-August. Looks like he will be teaching at Brian's summer camp at Port Carling at the end of the month, but at least will be performing in the Beat the Heat show on August 26.

I hope he is well-rested, relaxed and more than eager to start work for real! Here's clip on The Cricket Club from a Japanese TV show over the summer. No Javi, of course, but Brian Orser explaining the operations in English - also Javi's daily life for most of the year.

E

DelRetiro

On the Ice
Wow, that is an impressive collection of media links. Thank you for putting it all together!! :agree:

I searched all over the marca.com site but found nothing. I'll keep looking until it's posted and will of course share the link here, unless eppen beats me to it :)

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
I forgot this - news piece from Majadahonda newspaper which has all the camp info listed. It must have been available in the camp announcement, but I had never read them... 800 € for a private lesson!! :eek: In my working life I have seen a price of 350 €/hour or so for a top lawyer...

They delayed the Marca interview for more space on Monday edition - so today sometime soon maybe? Usually Marca stories come out first as (poor quality) pics, but they put most stuff out on the website later on.

Zion Gate Films is doing a NBC Olympics fluff piece, it turned out.

e

Plumededragon

Medalist
I forgot this - news piece from Majadahonda newspaper which has all the camp info listed. It must have been available in the camp announcement, but I had never read them... 800 € for a private lesson!! :eek: In my working life I have seen a price of 350 €/hour or so for a top lawyer...

They delayed the Marca interview for more space on Monday edition - so today sometime soon maybe? Usually Marca stories come out first as (poor quality) pics, but they put most stuff out on the website later on.

Zion Gate Films is doing a NBC Olympics fluff piece, it turned out.

e
No :laugh: 800€ is the price for the camp without hotel accommodation. The prices for private lesson aren't listed, but it will be additional cost.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Oh dear, one would think that at this age and with my academic credentials, I would be able to READ, but apparently not! :laugh: Thanks for the correction!

So I really hope I got this right... From Hielo Espanol about an hour ago:

"Os adelantamos que esta temporada Javier Fernández skater debutará antes de lo habitual. Lo hará en el Autumn Classic International a finales de septiembre (20 a 23). Prueba donde también se espera que acuda Yuzuru Hanyu. Después acudirá al Japan Open y a sus dos pruebas de Grand Prix (Pekin y Grenoble)."

Javi will start his season with a proper comp and earlier than usual - and in the same comp as Hanyu... I hope very much there will be a live stream...

e

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Oh dear, one would think that at this age and with my academic credentials, I would be able to READ, but apparently not! :laugh: Thanks for the correction!

"Os adelantamos que esta temporada Javier Fernández skater debutará antes de lo habitual. Lo hará en el Autumn Classic International a finales de septiembre (20 a 23). Prueba donde también se espera que acuda Yuzuru Hanyu. Después acudirá al Japan Open y a sus dos pruebas de Grand Prix (Pekin y Grenoble)."

Javi will start his season with a proper comp and earlier than usual - and in the same comp as Hanyu... I hope very much there will be a live stream...

e

Well wow, I didn't expect him to want to go against Yuzu so early in the season. But I think other TCC skaters are going to Autumn Classic (Javier Raya, Elizabet?), so it makes sense for him to go as well. The Olympic season doesn't disappoint in this aspect :biggrin:

And don't worry, eppen, there will be a live stream for sure. It's a Challenger event, and the past few years that I've watched it there's been a very good, non geoblocked stream :yes:

liv

Record Breaker
There usually is a livestream... so great to see them both so early, at a small venue... talk about getting your money's worth!!

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
wow, he hasnt done any competition before GPs (except Japan Open) since forever, its gonna be exciting right from the start!!:yahoo: and no worries about livestream, if my memory doesnt fail me, for the past 2 years Skate Canada showed not only competition but practices as well :popcorn:

vadrouille

Rinkside
There usually is a livestream... so great to see them both so early, at a small venue... talk about getting your money's worth!!

Yes talk about getting your money's worth everything. Especially for us Canadians. No flight, no hotel bill. I was so surprised when I went to the website of Skate Canada/ Event/Autumn Classic to buy the tickets, all event tickets are already sold out. So I have to buy 3 separate tickets for each 3 days of the competition.
I hope that Skate Canada will put additional tickets on sale at the venue for fans who decide to go later.

Plumededragon

Medalist
Yes talk about getting your money's worth everything. Especially for us Canadians. No flight, no hotel bill. I was so surprised when I went to the website of Skate Canada/ Event/Autumn Classic to buy the tickets, all event tickets are already sold out. So I have to buy 3 separate tickets for each 3 days of the competition.
I hope that Skate Canada will put additional tickets on sale at the venue for fans who decide to go later.
Yuzu is going, so it is always sold out, no matter the competition. :laugh: But I'm surprised Javi decided to go there, especially since Japan Open is not so long after this competition...

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Yuzu is going, so it is always sold out, no matter the competition. :laugh: But I'm surprised Javi decided to go there, especially since Japan Open is not so long after this competition...

Well, since JO is more of an exhibition than a competition I'm guessing he might want a more formal event to get his feet under him and feedback from the judges for both programs before the GP? And ACI reduces the trouble of travelling and jetlag :)

DelRetiro

On the Ice

e

Don't feel too bad. After reading the part in Spanish, that's what I thought too, that a private lesson with Javi was 800 euros *gulp* Only after reading the part in English did it become clear that the 800E was for the whole camp, with private 25- or 50-minute lessons available at additional cost. I confess: the Gladys Kravitz in me (oh boy, am I dating myself!) really wants to know how much a 50-minute lesson runs.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Thanks for the consolation, DelRetiro! Good to know that I did get the Spanish right at least!

Contemplating the ACI announcement yesterday, I started to think that it kind of makes sense if they are working to get that additional quad into the FS (4Lo, I guess). Putting it out in as many competitions as possible before the Olys would be the thing to do. With the ACI - and assuming that he gets to GPF and participates in the Spanish Nationals - it would be 7 chances to get it done right before the Olys hit him. About one entire season's worth of competitions. ACI is really the only one in the senior B comps that suits his schedule - as someone said already, also no extensive travel and it's a couple weeks before JO. It'll be so interesting to see!!

Seems like he's already back in Toronto! (I do hope now that Reebok is apparently clothing him, they will get rid of the grey sweatpants for good!)

The NBC Olympics fluff piece will include also a visit to a flamenco place. I hope we see him on stage dancing! (There will apparently be two - one by NBC and one for [Spanish?] Eurosport)

E

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Well, since JO is more of an exhibition than a competition I'm guessing he might want a more formal event to get his feet under him and feedback from the judges for both programs before the GP? And ACI reduces the trouble of travelling and jetlag :)

Challenger series events also have a properly ISU-sanctioned judge panel, and give ranking points, so I'm glad Javi is going there. A showdown so early in the season between the Cricket boys. Orser is probably thankful he doesn't have to travel much for that compared to what his GP schedule will be.

I just came back from Madrid but sadly I failed to see Javi. Why oh why wasn't he casually walking on a street across from me this weekend!? I couldn't even visit his (honestly kind of scary-looking) bust since it'll only be exhibited in December.

Barb

Record Breaker
I read in the Spanish forum of someone who already watched their programs that these are really amazing (both programs)!!! :yes2:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I read in the Spanish forum of someone who already watched their programs that these are really amazing (both programs)!!! :yes2:

That is great to hear and after a few weeks we will see Javi´s programs from a competition. Surprising that he participates in such an early event as he surely cannot have trained his programs enough because of his busy schedule? Well, we will see...