Kana Muramoto & Daisuke Takahashi | Page 18 | Golden Skate

Kana Muramoto & Daisuke Takahashi

mikeko666

Final Flight
Thanks synes for all of the updates, much appreciated.

Here is a Russian interview with Marina regarding the results. She is not to happy.
You can google translate.

I do have to agree with her about Kanadai being at a disadvantage because they were
coach-less at this competition.
LOL. Marina is more eager to prove JSF wrong at 4CC than Kana or Dai. :rofl:

Last edited:

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
I was shocked to hear that, it seems in the summer of either 2020 or 2021 (translators on twitter don’t seem to be sure?), Dai had a cracked rib and Kana suffered a concussion and therefore they lost even more practice time (in addition to the difficultues they faced due to the pandemic). :eek2: :cry: I believe this was never reported before? I’m at a loss for words – it’s unbelievable how far they came under these circumstances.

Nikkansports published a follow-up article that clarifies the order of events. The cracked rib(s) and concussion occurred on practicing a lift and spin positions respectively in the summer of 2020 after Kana and Dai had returned to the U.S. when their home rink reopened:

Dear meowmix also went to the trouble of making a subtitled video that summarizes the article. It basically tells the story of how Kana and Dai grew together as a team overcoming quite a few hardships (thx so much! :pray:):

ETA:

Kana-chan's new post on ig ❤️: https://www.instagram.com/p/CYBvbXLvH0_/

Thank you for all your support🌸.
Only next step!
I'll do my best to represent Japan at next year's Four Continents Championships and the World Championships, cherishing the chance to compete with Dai-chan against the world! Further evolution 🔥 so that we can share more of Kanadai's charm with the world!

Have a great New Year everyone❣️!

Last edited:

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
^^ Thank you for posting these, mikeko. :thank:

Their breakdowns are always very educational. They have a really sharp eye. There's a lot of stuff I find hard to catch when you're not trained to assess the accuracy of steps/turns. In real time I often can't spot hopped turns for instance, because most of the time it's very subtle. I find shallow/flat edges easier to detect.

I don't agree with all of their verdicts, but with the provided screenshots and slowed down videos I can see where they're coming from in most cases. In one instance they noted the wrong edge, which is a bit confusing:

"On re-watch, Daisuke has a clear enough RBO exit immediately after LFI Bracket to merit a yes, especially from a domestic panel.

Bracket entrance, distinct LFI for Daisuke fulfilling one of the requirements for KP3

RBO exit from LFI Bracket, shallow from this angle, best executed on the night, stricter tech panel might have given an N but Y is understandable."

It's actually a RFI to RBO bracket. (There is no change of foot in a bracket.) In the subsequent annotated video it's correctly labelled though, so I guess it was just a slip. :)

According to them Misato executed 4, Tim 5, Kana 6 and Dai 8 clean steps/turns over the two step sequences in the FD (OfSt and DiSt/CiSt). That really drives home the point that step sequences are Kana's and Dai's strongest weapon!

I probably wouldn't be so harsh on Tim's RBI-RFI rocker in the OfSt though. The hop seems really minimal to my eyes.

And I guess the reason why Kana's and Dai's RoLi in the FD was rated level 4 despite the loss of balance on the one foot feature might be, because they were given credit for the leg pull (for lack of a better word) as an entry feature (significant transitional movement)? :unsure:

For the most part their assessments look pretty solid and objective to me. It's great that they included short analyses of Ayumi/Shingo's and Kiria/Aru's FDs. It would be interesting to see this discussed in The Edge. On the other hand I don't know, if it would go down so well...

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker
Happy New Year to ALL from me, too! ^^/

BIIIIIG thank you to Kana and Dai for giving us, fans such joy and privilege to watch TWO out-of-this-world programs and fabulous performances at competitions! Please please rest well first, then prepare carefully for upcoming 4CC and the Worlds. :pray: Just wish no more injuries ( Dai with a cracked rib then Kana with concussion;;; )
Boy, such another roller-coaster season... still goes on! All K7D1 fans, let's get ready, shall we, too! :ghug:

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Belated happy new year from me as well! Wishing Kana, Dai and everyone here to stay healthy and to make the most of what the year brings. Let’s continue to cheer for KanaDai together! :ghug:

Dai remembered the existence of his ig account! ;) He just posted this nice new year message:

Machine translation:

“Sorry for the delay.

Happy New Year!

And sorry it's been a while.

Thank you for all your support last year!

My goal was to win the All Japan Championships and participate in the Olympic Games.

It didn't come true, but I was able to have many valuable experiences and it was a fruitful and fulfilling year!

And this year, we have the 4 Continents Championships and the World Championships.

I am very happy to be able to participate in these!

After the disappointment of not being able to give my all in the All-Japan Championships, I will do my best in these two competitions!

I will take my time to think about the future in the off-season.

Thank you all for your support this year!

I wish you all a very happy new year, as well as myself...

I'm a man of the year, so I'm sure it will be a good one! *

I'm borrowing this photo.

I didn't take any New Year's photos this year💦.

Here's one of my absolute favourite photos of the year!”

( * It’s the year of the tiger – the same as Dai's birth year.)

ETA:
Proper translation by iguana (thanks a bunch!
:pray:
):

After her last one Kana also posted another lovely message, this time in English 🤗:

Last edited:

mikeko666

Final Flight
Marina has been in Nashville with her students for US Nationals, and one of her two senior teams, Raffaella Koncius & Alexey Shchepetov withdrew after RD because Raffaella tested positive for COVID :eek2:. According to her family(?), everyone is doing well so far. I hope Marina is coming home to Florida virus-free, but it might be better for her to self-quarantine for several days before going back to the rink.

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Do we know if Dai and Kana are back in Florida or are they still in Japan.

Pair Coaches Jenni Menino and Todd Sand both tested positive at US Nationals and
K/F their star team had to withdraw because Brandon was positive.

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Yes, the situation at US Nationals is shocking (imo they should have cancelled the event and chosen their Olympic team solely on the basis of BOW).

I have faith in Marina's sense of responsibility and am sure she will quarantine herself immediately, but considering how the situation has worsened over the last few weeks in the wake of the Omicron strain, I'm scared as h*ll for everyone set to compete at Euros and 4CC. At this point attending any event, especially with no bubble solution and such lax protocols, is like playing Russian roulette. As I'm sure Kana and Dai won't withdraw, not least because they were so grateful to at least be able to represent Japan at 4CC and Worlds and because they have a good chance of a medal in Tallinn, I can only pray they'll be as careful as possible. :pray: They'll have these long flights too, wether they're flying from Japan or the U.S. (I'm also wondering where they are right now, demarinis).

Before recent developments I would have attended 4CC and Worlds to support them in person, but I'm not taking that risk now. 😔

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I worry about Kana and Dai having any contact with people who were at US Nationals in Nashville.

The worst COVID per Capita in the US right now is in Tennessee, according to the TV.

US should never have scheduled Nationals there. .

And skaters often have exertion related asthma. COVID and skaters is a dire combination.

Heck, I am concerned about their going to 4CC, which is right after Europeans, and is in the same facility in Tallinn.

I just hope Kana and Dai stay safe!

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
We will have to wait and see how this all plays out. Will Brandon and Alyssa test clean in 4 weeks
time, (I hope so but there is a real possibility they wont) The alternates better be ready and sending the alternates to
4CC's would be a mistake IMO.

mikeko666

Final Flight
Do we know if Dai and Kana are back in Florida or are they still in Japan.

Pair Coaches Jenni Menino and Todd Sand both tested positive at US Nationals and
K/F their star team had to withdraw because Brandon was positive.
They have been back in Florida. There will be an on-line talk show (recorded) this Saturday.

mikeko666

Final Flight
They have been back in Florida. There will be an on-line talk show (recorded) this Saturday.
I watched the on-line talk show last night. They have left Japan for the US on January 2.
Although they did not give details, apparently it was very difficult without a coach for weeks before Nationals.
They were in good sprits, aiming for the podium at 4CC and top 10 finish at Worlds to bring 2 spots for Japan. They are keeping the programs as they are, but want to make lots of changes before Worlds.
Although they didn't tell their plan after World, the genre both they want to skate to is tango :love:.

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Dai is great at tango, but he has already explored the genre on several occasions (I'm not sure, if Kana has done a tango during her singles career? I can't recall any... :unsure:). Then again, I'd prefer a tango FD over a lyrical one by a country mile - there's been an overdose of those in id the last couple of seasons and I feel it would be a waste of their potential. If they feel very passionate about it, it would certainly be fun, if they did a tango exhibition and then they could try sth. really experimental and edgy in their FD. I mean Kana herself pointed out that, because of Dai's artistic range, they have many possibilities she'd like to explore (imo her own range is impressive too), so I hope they'll come up with sth. outside the box like Soran bushi/Koto again - a program that is uniquely theirs. 🤩

On a different note, I'm intrigued to hear that they intend to extensively revise their programs for Worlds - sounds like they're ready to attack (or just want to keep it fresh for themselves and the audience/the judges)!

They're off to Tallinn:

Last edited:

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Kana and Dai finally landed in Tallinn at 1:24 am after being stranded at Frankfurt airport for more than 8 hours! :drama: Their originally scheduled connecting flight from Frankfurt to Tallinn at 13:50 was redirected to Stockholm and the rebooked Lufthansa flight departed 1.5 hours later than planned (at 22:07 instead of 20:35). (Dai's ig story)

Kana posted that they got their luggage at 2:10 am. The first official dance practice starts at 11 am! o_O Wouldn’t be surprised, if they skip it to get a snatch of sleep. There’s another practice today at 14:40.

Gosh, that’s more than enough drama – hope that means that everything else goes smoothly now (especially that everyone, who made it to Tallinn, stays healthy). :pray:

Last edited: