Kana Muramoto & Daisuke Takahashi | Page 25 | Golden Skate

Kana Muramoto & Daisuke Takahashi

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
The new RD at FOI today:

It's still early stages and the choreo isn't finished (e.g. they haven't incorporated the lift yet), but whoa that's some high energy, fun program with lots of potential! Definitely makes me wanna move! :dance3:I'm looking forward to its evolution throughout the season.

(Gotta admit I'm not too keen on the "Ahora" middle part and I'm sad that the pattern was abolished.)

Dai's lovely duet with Jeremy Abbott (Dai is doing a hydroblade! :eek:)

Opening + "My favourite things" (the second number was choreographed by Kana 🥰):

Finale:

Thank you so much to the kind uploader (that was incredibly fast)! :pray:

Last edited:

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
The word on the street turned out to be correct - their new FD is PotO (I might be one of few people not to complain about this - imo it could have been way worse ;)):

Today's FOI special had a KanaDai segment, including their new RD with different angles from the live broadcast (and as a bonus: a closeup of Dai's abs at 2:09 :biggrin:):

Last edited:

mikeko666

Final Flight
The word on the street turned out to be correct - their new FD is PotO (I might be one of few people not to complain about this - imo it could have been way worse ;)):

Today's FOI special had a KanaDai segment, including their new RD with different angles from the live broadcast (and as a bonus: a closeup of Dai's abs at 2:09 :biggrin:):

Here is another video in a better quality.

In the Instagram post two days ago, Kana said that Marina's main concept is to make Dai the protagonist. So, the program is focused on the Phantom, not Christine.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Here is another video in a better quality.

In the Instagram post two days ago, Kana said that Marina's main concept is to make Dai the protagonist. So, the program is focused on the Phantom, not Christine.
Interesting! I am not really a fan of the Phantom so I am intrigued to see how Dai is going to make me root for him :LOL:
Also I guess Marina knows how to choreo a good POTO dance! Can't wait to see them debut their free!

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
This new article features Kana’s and Dai’s comments on their new programs, looks back on Dai’s breakthrough at Worlds 2007 with PotO and explains what it means to him and Kana to bring the story to life as an id team:

https://victorysportsnews.com/articles/8387/original

Machine translation:

From the past to the present and into the future. What is the "new world" that the ice dance team Kanadai are pursuing?

After last season's breakthrough, they are now entering their third season. Kanadai are expected to entertain their fans with even more matured performances. Figure skaters Kana Muramoto and Daisuke Takahashi (Kansai University KFSC), representatives at the 2022 World Championships in ice dance, have announced their programmes for the new season. The focus of attention is on the free programme "Phantom of the Opera", as well as the Rhythm Dance (RD), which was selected mainly by Muramoto, who says: "I wanted to create a Latin programme that has never been seen before". While the legendary [PotO] programme from 15 years ago, when Takahashi was a singles skater, that paved the way for Japanese men's history, has been remade into an ice dance version and will be presented to the world once again.

On the evening of the 11th of this month, their official websites were updated simultaneously, revealing the free programme that fans had been waiting for. On Instagram, part of the choreography was revealed, along with Takahashi, who will be playing the Phantom, expressing the mask with his hands. Takahashi wrote: "I'm going to skate Phantom of the Opera for the first time since the 06-07 season, 15 years ago (laughs). I didn't think then that I would skate it in competition as an ice dancer, too. I've always wanted to skate to this piece again one day, so I wondered if there was any meaning in skating it like this?! I'll do my best to present the completed programme to you all so that I can make it mean something! Please look forward to it," he mused.

The last time he competed with it in the free skate was 15 years ago, at the World Championships held at the Tokyo Metropolitan Gymnasium in March 2007. In his previous two appearances, Takahashi had finished in double-digit rankings and had been ridiculed as a "glass heart", but it was his performance of "Phantom of the Opera" that brought him out of his shell. After he placed third in the SP, he landed two triple axels in the FS (three-and-a-half rotations), and towards the end of the programme, he mesmerised the audience with a straightline step that expressed the Phantom's painful love, before finishing the programme with a gesture of removing his mask. Marking the top score in the FS, surpassing Stéphane Lambiel (Switzerland) who was aiming for the third straight victory, he was second after Brian Joubert (France) and became the first Japanese male athlete to win a silver medal at the World Championships. It was impressive to see him breaking down in tears in the "Kiss and Cry" as he waited for the score, and hugging his coach Utako Nagamitsu, who has been teaching him since he was in the second year of junior high school, and coach Morozov, who trained Shizuka Arakawa to become Olympic queen, in an emotional moment. His words, "It feels good", full of emotion, moved many people.

It is precisely because of this performance that the co-stars have a strong desire to re-enact/skate to it together. Muramoto, who was in the second year of junior high school at the time, said: "It's been 15 years since Takahashi skated to PotO in singles. It's a dream come true to skate the story of the Phantom of the Opera together as ice dancers", she wrote on her website, "I'm really looking forward to seeing how Phantom and Christine's view of the world will turn out.” The choreography is created by coaches Zueva and Tkachenko and dancer Kenta Kojiri.

The Rhythm Dance "turned out to be a unique programme".

As evangelists for the popularization of ice dance, the two have no shortage of topics to talk about. Of course, the rhythm dance with the theme of 'Latin' is also full of attention to detail. “Rather than classic Latin, we wanted to create a programme of Latin that had never been seen before. It took a long time to choose the music, and it was a bit difficult, but we ended up with a unique programme," says Muramoto. The programme, which is a compilation of three songs – “Conga and Rhythm is Gonna Get You”, “Ahora” and “Move” - is a stunning programme of up-tempo skating from the start. The performance received a number of comments on social networking sites from spectators, who saw the ice show “Friends on Ice” at the Kose Shin-Yokohama Skating Centre in Yokohama, where it was first performed, praising the performance and saying it was “amazing”.

A total of six people were involved in the choreography. Takahashi reveals the process that led to this. “We wanted to incorporate something new, like street music or techno, while adding classic elements, so we asked people who are familiar with that world to give us their ideas and help us fuse new things. In a performance of less than three minutes, how coherent a world view can be created? Muramoto says: "The highlights are the dance at the beginning and the step sequence at the end. We are also learning a new lift. The programme will make the audience feel like they are dancing too.”

In the Beijing Winter Olympics season last year, which was approached under the slogan of “super-evolution,” they achieved the highest score for a Japanese ice dance team at the Warsaw Cup in November, and at the Four Continents Championships in January, their first major international competition, they took second place, the highest ever for a Japanese ice dance team. After a fierce competition with Misato Komatsubara and Takeru Komatsubara (Kurashiki FSC) at the National Championships, they fell short of the 1st place [that was needed] to make the Olympic team. But the way Takahashi lifted Muramoto with his muscular and strong body, showed his growth as an ice dancer. And now that the new programme has been announced, the two are moving forward, just as Muramoto said on 27 December last year, the day after they were not selected for the Beijing Olympics, "I'm excited to see what we can challenge next, what kind of tricks we can do," vowing to make further leaps forward.

The World Championships, which will be held in their home country (at the Saitama Super Arena), await them next March. There is only one national team spot. Once again, a head-to-head duel with the Komatsubara team is expected. In preparation for the All-Japan Championships in December, the Grand Prix Series, which starts in October, they are entered in the first round of Skate America and the fifth round of NHK Trophy. We want to show the new world of "KanaDai" as soon as possible" (Muramoto), "I have no idea what kind of season it will be, but I always want to push forward with all my might, and keep improving" (Takahashi). What kind of performances will they show on the rink in serious competition? Even non-fans can't wait to see.

Massimo Scali briefly talked about his working relationship with Kana and Dai and praised Dai’s progress in this interview with IFS-magazine:

https://ifsmagazine.com/scali-living-his-american-dream/

“One of his favorite projects this spring was having the opportunity to work with Kana Muramoto and Daisuke Takahashi on a new show program, which they will debut at the “Friends on Ice” show in Japan in August.

“I was the person Kana and Daisuke first contacted when they were trying to figure out whether they could become an ice dance team,” Scali recalled. “I was like absolutely! It is such an exciting project. For Daisuke to finish the amazing singles career that he had and then challenge himself in a completely different discipline … I was like ‘Man, I admire you so much that you are even thinking about putting yourself into this situation.’

“But the improvement he made in just two seasons has been amazing. He really became an ice dancer. It’s crazy the amount of work he did. I keep reminding him when he gets a little negative and is like ‘I can’t do this’ that ‘You can do anything! Trust me!’ More than anything, I love the energy and connection that we have when we work together.”

In yesterday’s FOI special Kana reiterated that Dai would be her last partner and that she would retire when he does. Their goals for this season are to combine technical strength with performance, achieve good results in the leadup to as well as to win Nationals. (Thank you to igs on twitter. :))

Today Kana and Dai were featured in a (prerecorded) variety show on fuji tv (突然ですが占ってもいいですか?), where fortune teller Hitomi Hoshi read their palms and predicted that they would reach their athletic peak in 2026 (I hope she’s right! ;))

Summary of KanaDai’s segment (in Japanese):

https://www.fujitv-view.jp/article/post-675671/2/

Last edited:

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
This new article features Kana’s and Dai’s comments on their new programs, looks back on Dai’s breakthrough at Worlds 2007 with PotO and explains what it means to him and Kana to bring the story to life as an id team:

https://victorysportsnews.com/articles/8387/original

Machine translation:

Massimo Scali briefly talked about his working relationship with Kana and Dai and praised Dai’s progress in this interview with IFS-magazine:

https://ifsmagazine.com/scali-living-his-american-dream/

In yesterday’s FOI special Kana reiterated that Dai would be her last partner and that she would retire when he does. Their goals for this season are to combine technical strength with performance, achieve good results in the leadup to as well as to win Nationals. (Thank you to igs on twitter. :))

Today Kana and Dai were featured in a (prerecorded) variety show on fuji tv (突然ですが占ってもいいですか?), where fortune teller Hitomi Hoshi read their palms and predicted that they would reach their athletic peak in 2026 (I hope she’s right! ;))

Summary of KanaDai’s segment (in Japanese):

https://www.fujitv-view.jp/article/post-675671/2/

Their recent interviews give me hope that KanaDai will continue beyond 1 year :pray:

I found a shorter version of their new rhythm dance:

Carnival vibes! I'm so excited to see this dance develop throughout the season! I admire how they are not afraid to push themselves and Dai seems to be enjoying himself (or if not, then hiding it well!)

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Good news was announced in an official comment on KanaDai's ig account today! They are safe and able to continue training. ❤️:pray:

Open the post on instagram and scroll down a bit to the top comment:

Machine translation:

"We have received a lot of concern regarding the hurricane in Florida, but please be assured that Muramoto and Takahashi have now evacuated to an undamaged area and are continuing to train at the evacuation centre for their first GP, Skate America.

We thank you for your continued support."

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Saved from Kana's ig story:

Their trainingmate, Raffaella Koncius, also posted an update with her partner Alexey Shchepetov and Kana and Dai from their new training location (it seems that Marina's group has collectively relocated):

Kana and Dai went to see PotO on Broadway - they seem to be spending the entire weekend in NYC:

mikeko666

Final Flight
Saved from Kana's ig story:

Their trainingmate, Raffaella Koncius, also posted an update with her partner Alexey Shchepetov and Kana and Dai from their new training location (it seems that Marina's group has collectively relocated):

Kana and Dai went to see PotO on Broadway - they seem to be spending the entire weekend in NYC:

Some people identified the rink as Palm Beach Ice Works.
To our surprise, Evgenie Platov who once coached Dai as Tatiana Tarasova's assistant is one of the rink's coaches.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Having visited SkAme prediction thread in the Edge already MADE MY DAY! :)

Good luck to Kana & Dai at Skate America this weekend! :hap10::hap10::hap10:
Very looked forward to see their two new programs! Please carry me away with them! :love2:

Last edited:

mikeko666

Final Flight
Lots of beautiful photos of Kana and Dai at their first official practice :cool:

They are so charismatic and their edges are amazing :love:

Video (run thru)
VIdeo (elements check)

EDIT:
Adding one more :wink:

Last edited:

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Oh my, they both are smokin' hot in their Versace-style RD costumes. That look is such a slay! (Seethrough mesh on Dai? H*ll yeah!) 🤩

I'm on a cruise ship and have limited internet access, but what I could glimpse of their practices looks sharp, especially the footwork in their RD MlSt with crisp, deep edges by both on all steps/turns - choctaw, counter, twizzle and rocker. Very good choctaw and outside mohawk by Dai in the PSt too. Slight struggle on the entry to the RoLi though.

Interesting they're opting for a different set of sequential twizzles (RFI, RFO and RBO) from the last two seasons (RFI, LFO and LBO).

I spot a couple of subtle changes to the choreography compared to the version we saw at FOI.

Together with LaLa's and Lopareva/Brissaud's this is one of my favourite senior RDs this season. 🥰

I like what I've seen of the Phantom as well. They didn't do all three mandatory lifts in the runthrough I saw on twitter - just the Sl/RoLi combination and the choreographic lift, which all looked secure. Looking forward to finding out what their third mandatory lift is (probably a stationary one again?)

I read they got the biggest applause of all dance couples during practices. 😘

Ahh, I'm so excited/nervous! Best of luck to Kana and Dai! Keeping my fingers and toes crossed for a smooth competition. :hap10:

PotO-runthrough (ty so much to izayukam!):