Kimmie Messiner article | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kimmie Messiner article

euterpe

Medalist
I have the distinct feeling that Sasha and Michelle won't be at 2007 Nationals, Sasha because she is pursuing an acting career, and Michelle because she hasn't recovered fully from her injuries. That will make Kimmie the odds-on favorite to win the title, and I think she can do it.

R.D.

Record Breaker
That's why it was even funnier to hear her talk about "game faces" on the View. Because IIRC (and the photos back this up) she herself had some of the worst ones!

R.D.

Record Breaker
euterpe said:
I have the distinct feeling that Sasha and Michelle won't be at 2007 Nationals, Sasha because she is pursuing an acting career, and Michelle because she hasn't recovered fully from her injuries. That will make Kimmie the odds-on favorite to win the title, and I think she can do it.

Same here.

soogar said:
Michelle always has an ugly look on her face when one of her competitors places over her.
Michelle never has an ugly look on her face. That look was quizzical. Like she was saying, "Hmm, what have we here? Time to open up a can a whup-a$$ for the LP, I see."

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, to me it's a killer stare. Sort of an "I'll show you what I'm made of" type of look IMO. Not the stare of a typical cutout skater who always wants to "do my best" or "have fun in the moment". :laugh:

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A stare / glare from Sasha as if to say, "Not for long..."
sashaeyesirina.jpg

MKFSfan

Medalist
soogar said:
Actually I was just watching a bunch of Sasha vids and there was one of Sasha's debut at Nationals when she won the SP over Michelle. The camera focused on Michelle's face and she had the ugliest look on her face when it was announced that Sasha took first place.

Michelle always has an ugly look on her face when one of her competitors places over her.

The link didn't work for me, but Sasha skate before Michelle in the SP? There was SO much hype over Sasha coming in to Nationals, so I'd imagine Michelle would be interested in seeing what Sasha, as a possible challenger, was all about. Michelle fell on her solo toe, so somehow I bet Michelle was more pissed about that then a clean Sasha topping her in the SP. Under 6.0, 3rd after the SP still controlled their own destiny.

Nothing beats Irina's reaction when she saw she wouldn't beat Michelle at 2001 Worlds! She walked right out of the Kiss and Cry before her marks came up.

euterpe

Medalist
Michelle had a fall in the SP, and that was what allowed Sasha to place above her. I suspect the look on Michelle's face owed more to her anger at her own performance than to any particular feelings about Sasha.

kittyjake5

On the Ice
soogar said:
Actually I was just watching a bunch of Sasha vids and there was one of Sasha's debut at Nationals when she won the SP over Michelle. The camera focused on Michelle's face and she had the ugliest look on her face when it was announced that Sasha took first place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtNUh0vYDH4&search=sasha%20cohen%20nationals%20debut

I just watched the video of Sasha's performance she did an excellent job she looks so young.

Why do you think MK 's "look" is ugly , I take it you are not a fan which is fine but calling her various "looks" ugly is a bit much.

R.D.

Record Breaker
seanibu said:
A stare / glare from Sasha as if to say, "Not for long..."
sashaeyesirina.jpg

I can totally see that...:laugh:

But, that is, if you consider 2 years/3 years/never to be a short time...:laugh: ok, n/m...I take that back...

waxel

Final Flight
Kimmie comes across as a lovely, well-mannered young lady. At the Friends of Figure skating breakfast the morning after Nats finals, Kimmie stayed and signed autographs and took photos long after an eye-rolling Emily Hughes had bolted at the first nod of USFSA officials.

R.D.

Record Breaker
really? that was nice of Kimmie. And I don't think what Emily did was wrong or rude or anything. It's just normal. Meissner just went out of her way to do that...

Eeyora

Final Flight
Kimmie like Michelle has a real genuine attitude. Kimmie reminds me a lot of a 14 year old Michelle.

soogar

Record Breaker
kittyjake5 said:
IWhy do you think MK 's "look" is ugly , I take it you are not a fan which is fine but calling her various "looks" ugly is a bit much.

Michelle had the same look when NNN made her sparkling debut as well. It's not an admiring look in terms of liking the way Sasha or NNN skates but rather a look of jealousy that someone is upstaging her.

Granted Sasha normally has disappointed looks on her face but she isn't like that toward her other competitors. In Marshall's she and Nicks were openly commending Alyssa's spins and Sasha was asking what she could do to get spins like that. I even notice Sasha taking more time with her Ina Bauer and trying to arch her back like Shizuka's. Sasha watches and admires her competition and then tries to bring those qualities to her skating.

Michelle (like Irina) just thinks that she is the standard and doesn't look at the value of her competitors.

Last edited:

Kasey

Medalist
soogar said:
Michelle had the same look when NNN made her sparkling debut as well. It's not an admiring look in terms of liking the way Sasha or NNN skates but rather a look of jealousy that someone is upstaging her.

Granted Sasha normally has disappointed looks on her face but she isn't like that toward her other competitors. In Marshall's she and Nicks were openly commending Alyssa's spins and Sasha was asking what she could do to get spins like that. I even notice Sasha taking more time with her Ina Bauer and trying to arch her back like Shizuka's. Sasha watches and admires her competition and then tries to bring those qualities to her skating.

Michelle (like Irina) just thinks that she is the standard and doesn't look at the value of her competitors.

And you know all this ("Michelle just thinks that she is the standard, blah blah") HOW? The "ugly" look you pointed us to looked to me a face of intensity, and I agree with what another poster said, a "hmm, so this is what's going to be challenging me now" look.

No comment on your interpretations of Cohen's particular "looks" toward competitors. :rofl:

As to the article that is SUPPOSED to be the topic here, good for Kimmie! She does come across as very sweet, down to earth, and humble, and I for one am very glad that she IS enjoying her skating so much.

Soogar, that is just such silly baloney. Humble Sasha "admires her competiton" but mean Michelle "doesn't see the value of her competitors." :chorus: Oh, right, now I see. :chorus:

MKFSfan

Medalist
Mathman said:
Soogar, that is just such silly baloney. Humble Sasha "admires her competiton" but mean Michelle "doesn't see the value of her competitors." :chorus: Oh, right, now I see. :chorus:

:rofl: I agree! Forget us "blind" fans, Michelle has been praised by her competitors as being one of the most humble, down to earth, nicest skaters' around. Many have commented being in awe of her, then realizing there's no need as she's approachable and easy to talk to. I think I'll take their word over what you preceive as nastiness any day! :chorus:

But, back on topic...the more I read about Kimmie, the more I really like her! She really does remind me of a young Michelle in her subtle enthusiasm, not too much in your face, but rather down to earth, girl next door way. I do hope she's able to find music she really connects with so that maybe she'll come across more natural in her movements. I hope she can add that 3axle back in, BUT only if it doesn't mean she only focuses on that, and not the rest of her skating.

Last edited:

euterpe

Medalist
Soogar: "Michelle had the same look when NNN made her sparkling debut as well. It's not an admiring look in terms of liking the way Sasha or NNN skates but rather a look of jealousy that someone is upstaging her. "

BaLONEY! Only a non-fan would see that as jealousy. I don't think ANY skater ever smiles happily when a competitor rakes in the high scores in a SP. It's sobering to have a challenger, which means buckling down and delivering in the free skate. I saw determination, not jealously, in her face.

"Granted Sasha normally has disappointed looks on her face but she isn't like that toward her other competitors. In Marshall's she and Nicks were openly commending Alyssa's spins and Sasha was asking what she could do to get spins like that. I even notice Sasha taking more time with her Ina Bauer and trying to arch her back like Shizuka's. Sasha watches and admires her competition and then tries to bring those qualities to her skating."

Sasha's spins match up quite nicely to Alissa's, so she has had nothing to worry about, especially when Alissa can't land her jumps (and Sasha is well aware of that, too). Alissa has NEVER been a threat to Sasha, so of course she can smile benignly. ALL skaters try to do the moves others do, as much as they are physically able.

"Michelle (like Irina) just thinks that she is the standard and doesn't look at the value of her competitors."

Oh, I hadn't realized you have mind-reading powers and can tell from minute to minute what Kwan things. Maybe you should apply for a job in the CIA.