Kim's representatives end Orser's coaching relationship threads merged | Page 65 | Golden Skate

Kim's representatives end Orser's coaching relationship threads merged

SkatingAnalyst

On the Ice
^ I guess. But Brian did have his own dignity and career and reputation to defend. And after ATS put out that news release saying that things had been tense since May, you think Brian didn't have the right to speak out on his own behalf? If he hadn't that would have been the last word out there, hanging out there, marring Brian's name.
I suppose that out of some sort of chivalry, he could have just kept quiet and let ATS keeping putting out insinuatingly snide remarks. But that's not really very realistic. Poor Yuna in all of this. First she falls out with her coach and then her management completely fails her in the PR department.

Pls. do not blame everything on AT Sports.
I would say...AT Sports=Yuna herself

AT Sports is a company with...$90,000 in total...paid in capital.
They are not even in a position...able to hire one decent interpreter or a manager who can properly represent for Yuna.

It really was a human relationship problem between skater Yuna and coach Orser. NOTHING ELSE.
I'm talking about the whole mess going on now.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Pls. do not blame everything on AT Sports.

AT Sports is a company with...$90,000 in total...paid in capital.
They are not even in a position...able to hire one decent interpreter or a manager who can properly represent for Yuna.

It really was a human relationship problem between skater Yuna and coach Orser. NOTHING ELSE.
I'm talking about the whole mess going on now.

I know, obviously, Yuna is ultimately reponsible for her own fate but she's only 19. Well, she was when this all happened. So I can't help but cut her more slack for lapses of judgement than I do for her mother or Brian.

And ATS's press release are indescribably awful. It's hard to exaggerate how awful they are, even for a starting company. I am absolutely flabbergasted that a star of this magnitude could have such amateurish management. Obviously, Yuna is choosing to go along but it doesn't seem like it was really her brilliant idea to dump an established PR firm and go with an upstart founded by her mother.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I know, obviously, Yuna is ultimately reponsible for her own fate but she's only 19. Well, she was when this all happened. So I can't help but cut her more slack for lapses of judgement than I do for her mother or Brian.

And ATS's press release are indescribably awful. It's hard to exaggerate how awful they are, even for a starting company. I am absolutely flabbergasted that a star of this magnitude could have such amateurish management. Obviously, Yuna is choosing to go along but it doesn't seem like it was really her brilliant idea to dump an established PR firm and go with an upstart founded by her mother.

Yuna is now 20 :). It's her birthday today, or at least in Korea it is. So she's not a teenager anymore.

Daniel5555

On the Ice
Layfan
^ I guess. But Brian did have his own dignity and career and reputation to defend. And after ATS put out that news release saying that things had been tense since May, you think Brian didn't have the right to speak out on his own behalf? If he hadn't that would have been the last word out there, hanging out there, marring Brian's name.
I suppose that out of some sort of chivalry, he could have just kept quiet and let ATS keeping putting out insinuatingly snide remarks. But that's not really very realistic. Poor Yuna in all of this. First she falls out with her coach and then her management completely fails her in the PR department.
I agree about fail in the PR department, but... what snide remarks? The only wrong thing they said was about Mao's team approaching Brian, but that is something he confirmed himself. As for about ambiguous relationship, he sort of confirmed it too. Then ATS made, I think, 4 statements in total (excluding Yuna's letter), while... How many interviews Brian did?
I don't see how statements from ATS could damage his reputation. They didn't say he was at fault or caused the problem (the first statement said that "they had an ambiguous and awkward relationship", but nothing else). Yuna later said that there were different reasons, but the original statement didn't say a thing about them.

I wonder, btw, why ATS is so criticized? Yeah, they were bad, but Brian wasn't any better from the moral point of view and he said too many things to hurt Yuna. PR wise, yes, probably he was more experienced. Giving interviews here and there, disclosing letters, program music, making himself a victim... Nice try.

SkatingAnalyst
No, AT Sports is NOT Yuna. There are various people working there and Yuna is more like their client than anything else (although she is partly owner too).

R.D.

Record Breaker
ATS said "that skater". Didn't call her out by name. I thought that was rather lame of them, but that's just me.

SkatingAnalyst

On the Ice
Layfan

I agree about fail in the PR department, but... what snide remarks? The only wrong thing they said was about Mao's team approaching Brian, but that is something he confirmed himself. As for about ambiguous relationship, he sort of confirmed it too. Then ATS made, I think, 4 statements in total (excluding Yuna's letter), while... How many interviews Brian did?
I don't see how statements from ATS could damage his reputation. They didn't say he was at fault or caused the problem (the first statement said that "they had an ambiguous and awkward relationship", but nothing else). Yuna later said that there were different reasons, but the original statement didn't say a thing about them.

I wonder, btw, why ATS is so criticized? Yeah, they were bad, but Brian wasn't any better from the moral point of view and he said too many things to hurt Yuna. PR wise, yes, probably he was more experienced. Giving interviews here and there, disclosing letters, program music, making himself a victim... Nice try.

SkatingAnalyst

No, AT Sports is NOT Yuna. There are various people working there and Yuna is more like their client than anything else (although she is partly owner too).

Buenas noches...amigo...Daniel
I just watched Yuna's Olympic performance again...MAGNIFICENT and FLAWLESS.

I hope Yuna come to New York for ALL THAT SPORTS...skating spectacular show.
Isn't it past 12AM there? in Madrid.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

They represent her professionally, so in that way - yes, they are Yuna. They speak for her, they represent her. That's what she pays them to do. That's what any agent does.

They represent her professionally, so in that way - yes, they are Yuna. They speak for her, they represent her. That's what she pays them to do. That's what any agent does.

^ Still, you can't boss your mother around they way you can boss your agent, no matter who is paying the bills. ;)

Daniel5555

On the Ice
SkatingAnalyst
Maybe she'll do more ice shows in North America... And I really hope we'll see another Christmas show like the one she did in 2008.

Tonichelle
Yes, but they are not the same. The fails of Helen Choi are not fails of Yuna.

rtureck

Final Flight
You must understand, I'm not saying she (MK) isn't a good person. (No way to know unless we're part of her immediate friends/family circle.) I'm saying that there is often a difference between the way people act when the cameras are rolling, and the way these same people act when the cameras are off. I've seen this firsthand...

No you didn't say she isn't a nice person, just casting a slight shadow here and there

Her choice of words often times leaves me with the impression that she is going out of her way to be less candid and more PC.
Actually MK's choice of words gives me the impression that she is very candid

Nothing wrong with that, but don't you think for a minute that it means that she's this perfect "can-do-no-wrong" angel. (Think Tiger Woods, how he was portrayed by the press and fans before his private dealings came out.)
MK certainlhy is not perfect, I don't think the press or fans are portraying that. But in the very narrow issue of being candid, MK has been consistent. She grew up in a fish bowl in our eyes, we have been watching her since she was 13. There plenty of imperfect candid moment, e.g. when she was ~15 during a pro am comp, she couldn't wait to step on ice, and didn't wait for the previous skater to finish the bows etc. I don't know why Tiger is mentioned, Tiger has been portrayed as an intense, I want to win period kind of athlete. The press and fans have always know his temper etc, so he too was not portray as perfect

Anyway, not too related to the above, but MK was a guest analyst for NBC sports during their much abbreviated coverage of the 2009 World Championships in LA. Now, the point of an analyst is to dissect the field, each competitor, weigh the strengths and weaknesses among the athletes to reach a prediction as to who might come out on top. She was paired with Dick Button and Bob Costas in the booth. At the conclusion of the broadcast, Costas posed a short series of questions to Button and Kwan. Now, to be fair to MK, Button has a lot more experience as a commentator, and isn't afraid to speak his mind about what he thinks about a particular skater. But what struck me about MK is that she always seemed to go out of her way not to say anything controversial or critical about any of the skaters. Once Costas FINALLY stopped asking her about a possible return (seriously), he then pointed out that only 2 Americans are going to the Olys. MK responded with "but we're improving, Americans are improving" (Button laughed) She clearly tried to put a positive spin on the whole thing. :laugh:

Nothing wrong with putting a + outlook. MK was different from Button beccause like you said she was new to commentating. IN addition to being a commentator, she also is a role model for the young skaters, imagine if she chose to see the negative (and there are always + and neg to every issue including skating), how disappointing would the young skaters be??

Sorry Michelle, but our lady skaters are NOT improving...with the exception of Nagasu's surprisingly good Olympic turnout, we're right back where we started once Meissner and Hughes sunk in the standings. Tell it like it is for once! :p

Sorry RD. Mk said "we are improving" that does not necessarily means that the USA ladies standing are improving. And yeah when Nagasu is improving so much at olys, that is good, and indeed "we" are improving.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Oh well, different strokes. Agree to disagree. I really don't feel like arguing and besides, it was a tangent

Last edited:

prettykeys

Medalist
I suppose that out of some sort of chivalry, he could have just kept quiet and let ATS keeping putting out insinuatingly snide remarks. But that's not really very realistic.
Huh? Orser went public first, criticizing YuNa's mother. YuNa's mother is a big part of the ATS management, thus, Orser brought it upon himself by making things public in the first place. i.e. it wasn't all out of defense - he went on the offensive.

I don't get some people's logic.

sunny0760

On the Ice
No coach for Min-Jeong KWAK at the moment! Former Coach: B. Orser. So she also split with him??

Minjung also split with Mr Orser and her new coach is Chi Hyunjung, who taught Yuna when she won the Junior worlds in 2005.

Here, Ms Chi says that Yuna, then 14, could grow up to be a world class skater as her artistry grows.
http://news.naver.com/main/vod/vod.nhn?oid=052&aid=0000063100

And Ms Chi choreoed Ben with Yuna.:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M6FAzzzEc8&feature=player_embedded