Coo

Spectator
I got information about GOE

Yu-na KIM
Spiral Sequence Lv4 GOE+1.8 !!!!! - last season: MAX+1.00
and
Step Sequence Lv3 GOE+0.8 !!!!! - last season: MAX+0.50
↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑
more than Carolina KOSTNER and Mao ASADA's stsq at Worlds 2008 SP.

:think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: It's incomprehensibility :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think:

Last edited:

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
Nice start of the season!

Kim:
Absolutely superb!!! But have the judges recognised lipping?

Ando:
Great to see her skate with confidence again. There's obviously room for improvement but I'm positive about her this season. Can't believe 3-3 was downgraded??

Nakano:
Nice skating. Didn't leave me much impression.

Flatt:
Like her the best out of American girls. Again, 3xx-3loop combos are judged quite harshly...

Okami

On the Ice
Miki was fabulous and Yu Na was subpar except for her triples, esp the amazing opening 3-3. I am NOT happy with the scoring tonight.

Danse Macabre is a perfect program for Yu Na and she is (or at least will be) totally up to it artistically, but besides the near-fall on the 2A, weren't her spins awfully slow and her sit spin position too high?

Miki OTOH outdid herself except for that absurd, meaningless fall. I saw her do this program over the summer, but she has gone way beyond that performance. Tonight she used her head and arms to capture the trapped-geisha spirit of the music. She was more than secure and fast, she was beautiful. The hand-flutter she added to a spiral was an inspired touch. Gorgeous work, Miki! :clap:

I totally agree with you. But I'm not really surprised. Just look at Carolina's scores at Worlds and in recent competitions. I don't think that the judges care anymore about the intricacy or beauty of positions. As long as you _rotate_ your jumps and skate with lots of speed you are set. I like YuNa and Carolina, but this particular CoP weakness makes me an unhappy fan.

I was really impressed by Miki and Kimmie in this competitions. They were both written off, but proved that they are still great skaters (scores be damned...).

Miki was amazing. This might be my new favourite program of hers. She's gorgeous, and improved so much in terms of posture and artistic expression. Some people might not like the frontloading that much, but with her injuries, it might be the only safe approach for her, considering that the spins make her arm hurt and probably consume a lot of stamina. WTG, Miki!

Kimmie was a huge surprise. I always liked her as a person, but disliked her skating. She always appeared stiff and wooden to me, and her programs didn't suit her at all. What a change! I totally enjoyed her style here. Her arms became softer and she skated more to the music that ever before... Kudos to you, Kimmie!

Yukari... I really love her as a skater, she's one of my favourites, but this program has to go! It doesn't fit her at all. She was usually such a bright star on the ice, and even if some of her jumps were downgraded, she could count on huge audience reaction and standing ovation. Her LP PCS at last Worlds were higher that Caro or YuNa's, and rightly so. This program, however, puts me to sleep - the music just lacks variations or excitement. Please, change it, Yukari!

I haven't watched the American young ladies carefully, because the family keeps on bothering me, but I liked what little I saw. What a tough field!

YuNa is so much more ahead of them, imo, that I have to use the lock word for all her future events.

Given that, all the Ladies skated as I expected them to do. Kimmie with more than an ounce of confidence should start working harder on her Tech. I agree with all the posters who say Flat wuzzrobbed.

Nothing special about the Ladies, Life goes on under the CoP.

liketotally

On the Ice
Maybe Flatt could think about tying up her hair? It just looks like it's going to get into her way.

Kim's 3-3 had brilliant height. It was amazing to watch. On the other hand, am I the only one who thinks that her costume makes her look like a spider?

Last edited:

Medusa

Record Breaker
Ando was ok but I kinda lost interest in the footwork sequence.
Me too - till she fell and than I was like "duh, stupid girl". I don't understand the downgrade though. That 3-3 looked better than most of Asada's in my opinion. But you never know with the loop, it rarely looks really clean and because of that it's probably difficult to determine if the jump was fully rotated or not.

Coo

Spectator
Yu-na KIM
Spiral Sequence Lv4 GOE+1.8 !!!!! - last season: MAX+1.00
and
Step Sequence Lv3 GOE+0.8 !!!!! - last season: MAX+0.50

more than Carolina KOSTNER and Mao ASADA's stsq at Worlds 2008 SP.

:think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: It's incomprehensibility :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think:

JUDGES DETAILS for Ladies SP

Yu-na Kim
3F+3T (+1.20) - 3Lz (+1.60) - SpSq4 (+1.80)
2A (-1.44) - LSp3 (+0.60) - FSSp3 (+0.20)
SlSt3 (+0.80) - CCoSp3 (+0.60)

Miki ANDO
3Lz+3Lo< (-1.00) - 3F (-1.00) - 2A (+1.00)
SpSq4 (+1.00) - FSSp3 (+0.40) - SlSt3 (-1.82)
CCoSp4 (+0.90) - LSp1 (0.00)

Yukari Nakano
3F+2T (0.00) - 2Lz (-1.00) - LSp1 (+0.50)
SpSq4 (+1.00) - 2A (+1.00) - CCoSp3 (+0.60)
CiSt3 (+0.20) - FCSp3 (+0.80)

Mirai Nagasu
3Lz (-2.60) - 3F+2T (0.00) - FSSp3 (0.00)
2A (+0.40) - SpSq3 (+0.40) - LSp4 (+1.00)
CiSt2 (+0.10) - CCoSp4 (+0.70)

Rachel Flatt
3F+3Lo< (-1.60) - 3Lz ! (-1.00) - CCoSp4 (0.00)
SlSt3 (+0.50) - LSp2 (+0.20) - 2A (0.00)
SpSq3 (+0.30) - FCSp4 (+0.10)

Kimmie Meissner
3Lz+2T (0.00) - 3F ! (-3.00) - FSSp3 (+0.30)
LSp1 (+0.40) - 2A (+0.60) - CCoSp3 (0.00)
SpSq3 (-0.04) - SlSt3 (+0.40)

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
By the way, Kimmie for the first time moved me during her program -- just gave me that emotional, touchy-feely moment toward the end of her step sequence. :p Her programs never moved me in this way before. I really like her LP music, too. I think if she can skate all the elements well, and be expressive of the music, then it might be the first program of hers that I really love.

I agree with you. She interpreted the music very well and moved elegantly. It is so wonderful for her! She was so much more mature now.

The only complain of mine was that the dress did not suit well with the music. The bright blue and the simple design gave her a cheerful, juniorish look, which may fit better with her past programs. I also did not think that the dress went well with the beautifully elegant make-up that she was wearing. The makeup went well with the program; but I simply cannot separate one's makeup and one's dress. Everything has to go together.

Phobiamaster856

Rinkside
Oooo kimmie improved so much! even though her jumps maybe a lil bit off but her style is much better. I agree with the others she really did move me and kept my interest throughout the entire program GO KIMMIE!

szidon

On the Ice
any club?

Kim:
Absolutely superb!!! But have the judges recognised lipping?

Ando:
Great to see her skate with confidence again. There's obviously room for improvement but I'm positive about her this season. Can't believe 3-3 was downgraded??

Her 3L was unfortunately underotated, but I feel Ando's now well prepared for this season. She'll revive this season.

Nakano:
Nice skating. Didn't leave me much impression.

Flatt:
Like her the best out of American girls. Again, 3xx-3loop combos are judged quite harshly...

As for Yuna, you should also refer to Arakawa, Miki, Paul Wylie, Susie Wynne, Tracy Wilson and Dick Button. They all acknowledge Yuna's perfect flip jump.
Please let me know if you want to watch those videos.

Well, Flatt and Mirai are all growing now and growth spurt's affecting those young ladies' jumping technique. I believe they'll show their real talent within several years. :clap:

Last edited:

flying camel

Medalist
Here's my 2 cent:
Yu-Na - She was great. She deserved first place. Her jumps were great so I forgive her for the double axel. Her choreography was great and she owned it. But I have to say some of her positions are just not up to the rest of her skating. It's almost like another skater is doing her in betweens.

Miki - She was good also. Her jumps were great and easy. The fall on the foot work looked like it was going to happen once she started flapping those ams.

Yukari - She was way overscored. Too me she should have been in 5th place.

Mirai - Well she was very surprised with her scores. The judges clearly liked her skating. She had spring in her jumps, bu I think she was just nervous.

Rachael- I thought she should have been higher, but she does look very young when she skates. That music just makes her look even slower. She needs more up beat music. I think her personality is more fun and happy.

Kimmie - I thought she looked great. The love of skating is back on her face. But once she went into the flip I knew she was going to fall. Remember Dick use to always say most people have trouble with the flip when they enter it from a curve. Oh well, She didn't let the fall ruin her spirit. She looked so happy to be out there. She has tried to address some of her problems. Some of her positions and spins look so much better. But it might not be until nationals when when we see Kimmie is totally back.

Bennett

Record Breaker
JUDGES DETAILS for Ladies SP

Yu-na Kim
3F+3T (+1.20) - 3Lz (+1.60) - SpSq4 (+1.80)
2A (-1.44) - LSp3 (+0.60) - FSSp3 (+0.20)
SlSt3 (+0.80) - CCoSp3 (+0.60)

Miki ANDO
3Lz+3Lo< (-1.00) - 3F (-1.00) - 2A (+1.00)
SpSq4 (+1.00) - FSSp3 (+0.40) - SlSt3 (-1.82)
CCoSp4 (+0.90) - LSp1 (0.00)

Yukari Nakano
3F+2T (0.00) - 2Lz (-1.00) - LSp1 (+0.50)
SpSq4 (+1.00) - 2A (+1.00) - CCoSp3 (+0.60)
CiSt3 (+0.20) - FCSp3 (+0.80)

Mirai Nagasu
3Lz (-2.60) - 3F+2T (0.00) - FSSp3 (0.00)
2A (+0.40) - SpSq3 (+0.40) - LSp4 (+1.00)
CiSt2 (+0.10) - CCoSp4 (+0.70)

Rachel Flatt
3F+3Lo< (-1.60) - 3Lz ! (-1.00) - CCoSp4 (0.00)
SlSt3 (+0.50) - LSp2 (+0.20) - 2A (0.00)
SpSq3 (+0.30) - FCSp4 (+0.10)

Kimmie Meissner
3Lz+2T (0.00) - 3F ! (-3.00) - FSSp3 (+0.30)
LSp1 (+0.40) - 2A (+0.60) - CCoSp3 (0.00)
SpSq3 (-0.04) - SlSt3 (+0.40)

I wonder if Miki got an edge issue with her flip here.

I also wonder why Mirai's lutz got so much deduction. I did not think that she flutzed there or URed. I thought she just two-footed. Should the deduction be 2.6 points for just a two-footed jump?

enzet

On the Ice
As for Yuna, you should also refer to Arakawa, Miki, Paul Wylie, Susie Wynne, Tracy Wilson and Dick Button. They all acknowledge Yuna's perfect flip jump.
Please let me know if you want to watch those videos.

Well, Flatt and Mirai are all growing now and growth spurt's affecting those young ladies' jumping technique. I believe they'll show their real talent within several years. :clap:

Is there really a club? I might consider joining since I also think Yu-Na lips. I don't know any of the posters who mentioned it, I just happen to agree with them.
And I don't care what Arakawa, Miki, Paul Wylie, Susie Wynne, Tracy Wilson and Dick Button said about her flip. I see what I see.
Saying she lips doesn't mean she's not an amazing skater or that she didn't deserve to win the SP or that she is a cheater. I believe she jumps the best she can and her jumps are a thing of beauty otherwise.:love:
I love her skating and she is one of my favorites! That doesn't prevent me from seeing an outside edge on her flip though.
If you see something different, fine, I just don't think that all those who dare to question her takeoff edge are necessarily trying to "unfairly dishonor her by malicious deceit."

zephyrskates

On the Ice
I just need to point out that it's not the skaters fault if they were overscored or underscored, or they get an edge call or not. So i see no point in skater bashing. they do their best on the ice, and the judges award them points.

Also, it's hard to compare between competitions. Someone was saying that yuna got higher GOEs for her spiral than mao did in a different competition, with probably a different set of judges, and different circumstance.

Like it or not, figure skating is a subjective sport. Also, the impact of a skater's performance. It's different for those watching in the arena, to those watching in their computers or TV.

DaveT

On the Ice
I wonder if Miki got an edge issue with her flip here.

I also wonder why Mirai's lutz got so much deduction. I did not think that she flutzed there or URed. I thought she just two-footed. Should the deduction be 2.6 points for just a two-footed jump?

Perhaps no proceeding footwork?

bekalc

Record Breaker
Is there really a club? I might consider joining since I also think Yu-Na lips. I don't know any of the posters who mentioned it, I just happen to agree with them.
And I don't care what Arakawa, Miki, Paul Wylie, Susie Wynne, Tracy Wilson and Dick Button said about her flip. I see what I see.
Saying she lips doesn't mean she's not an amazing skater or that she didn't deserve to win the SP or that she is a cheater. I believe she jumps the best she can and her jumps are a thing of beauty otherwise.:love:
I love her skating and she is one of my favorites! That doesn't prevent me from seeing an outside edge on her flip though.
If you see something different, fine, I just don't think that all those who dare to question her takeoff edge are necessarily trying to "unfairly dishonor her by malicious deceit."

If Yu-na lips it's hard to tell. At times it can look like she lips because of her ankles but then she does something else.right before her take off that could be an inside edge.. The thing is though her flip looks different from her lutz, her lutz is a clear strong outside edge, the flip isn't that way at all.. Either way it's a flat or shallow edge, and I believe that's actually considered textbook. In the end, these things only get called if they are obvious.

enzet

On the Ice
If Yu-na lips it's hard to tell. At times it can look like she lips because of her ankles but then she does something else.right before her take off that could be an inside edge.. The thing is though her flip looks different from her lutz, her lutz is a clear strong outside edge, the flip isn't that way at all.. Either way it's a flat or shallow edge, and I believe that's actually considered textbook. In the end, these things only get called if they are obvious.

This has been uploaded to youtube recently: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foDbzxb3RWA

especially in this clip, it is a very obvious lip, IMHO.
I agree her lutz has a deeper outside edge and that the edge on her flip is not so obvious in real time, but still, this is a lip.
It is not her fault the judges don't give her an "e" but if they did (or at least a "!" if they can't really tell) I'm sure she could fix it easily and then her jumps would really be textbook.

Well, never mind, good luck to her in the FS. I think she herself said her LP should be even better than the SP, so I'm looking forward.