Ladies SP | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP

Bill508

Rinkside
Go Fumieeeeeeeee!!

Hope Fumie wins it! Kimmie and Emily Hughes should gracefully leave the skating scene. Emily, in particular, was never world class. They are not in the same league as the Japanese skaters or Yu Na.

Andalusia

Final Flight
I'm so happy for Fumie! Her personality is so endearing. :) The jumps are looking better than ever, but I just wish she'd clean up her spiral positions. She really seems to be on a second wind this season, and I can't believe she is Michelle Kwan's age! Way to go for the 'old ladies'! :biggrin: Seems like this season the judges are favouring the oldies who have clean technique (for the most part) and no URs. The young ones had better take note. I like that Morosov was there with Fumie, too...now that Miki isn't doing so well, maybe he realizes he had better spread the love around, lol.

So sad for Kimmie...all the gripes I have with her scoring have already been expressed. Right now I'd be happy if the podium consists of Fumie, Alissa and Kimmie, although a miracle is needed to get Kimmie up there. It'll be Fumie, Rachael and Carolina most likely.

Kinga

Medalist
It is just a shame that a clean program (Kimmie's), that was not disturbed with a fall, or a step out, or a hand down, was marked so low. Whats wrong with figure skating?? I am not claiming that it was a brilliant program, that it did not have any flaws (I said earlier that her spins and spirals need improvement) and she should be leading, but it is definitely not beneficial for this sport to put the things the way they are now. She should be placed higher. Casual fans will just stop watching..

katymay

Medalist
That happens to me too, but only during the first download. It's always been fine for me for the second but actually first viewing for me and everytime afterwards. If you can handle listening to snippets of sounds every minute or five minutes for the first go round, see if whatever you want to watch at YouTube isn't fine after hiting the "Play Again?" button.

Just found out in what passes for our local "news" paper that Broadband may be here by this time next year. Finally...A step into the 21st Century!! I'll still believe it when I see it though.

I DO have broadband, but YouTube still does not play. However, I use a firefox extension that downloads YouTube, then play it off line w/a FLV player. (free). This works fine.

frozenhell

Rinkside
Yes. From what I hear, Kostner skates with great speed, that can only be appreciated when watching her in person.

Well, SPEEDY has different meaning in figure skating community. SPEEDY is Ottavio cinquanta who is head of ISU and also italian like Kostner. He is probably public enemy no.1 to north american figure skating fans.

Last edited:

Sackie

Medalist
Just a thought with the US ladies seeming to get some many UR calls. Could it be that they were pushed to get the 3/3 to stay ahead of each other as Jrs that they lost something in the push. They were so concerned with doing the 3/3 combos that no one stopped to check if they were doing them completely. Now that they have moved up to SRs and don't stand out as much as they did as JRs their UR are being noticed more. In the JR ranks their ability to do the 3/3 meant that the judges overlooked a few other things. Things that are now showing up in the SRs - ie - Caroline's mule kick!

Bennett

Record Breaker
Caro was fantastic! Very interesting to watch! Love the costume, too!

Fumie did so much better than her SC. Better spins and better flow. Greater speed. I think that they were really not prepared at SC as much as they should have in time perhaps because Morozov made the programs late.

I also wonder why they keep using the layback on her right leg. It was so much better than the one at SC in terms of the speed and centering, but still had terrible positions. Although I know that she is not flexible, I suppose that her layback on her left leg would be at least a bit better. I wonder if she could not get the same/higher level using the layback on her left leg. She got only level 2 on this spin at this comp anyway. It is not only ugly but also risky to put it considering what happened at SC.

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Something is wrong when even the commentators don't understand the score and have to wait, sometimes hours, like the rest of us to see the protocols. Get rid of levels and let the judges call the jumps as they see them. But make sure the judges are not corrupt.

Maybe those commentators are not qualified as judges? One of our commentators saw Meissner´s underrotation problems clearly. She will have no problems after she has fixed her jumping. Anyway, it was a pleasure to watch her short programme.

antmanb

Record Breaker
IOW...you're trying to tell me she's still around? WTH?? Why isn't she banned???

Only whistleblowers get banned from the ISU - cheating corrupt judges get banned for a couple of years and are then invited back to the fold in a shower of love.

Ant

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Only whistleblowers get banned from the ISU - cheating corrupt judges get banned for a couple of years and are then invited back to the fold in a shower of love.
Which whistleblower would that be? The only one I know of is Sally Stapleford, who followed her report on M. La Gougne (for which she was not suspended, of course) with an attempt to start a rival federation, for which the ISU banned her and the other founders. The Court for Arbitration in Sport held it up. Didn't we discuss this a few months ago? I seem to recall someone quoting from "The Second Mark" and a whole lot of analysis of motivations and behavior of people we don't know ;).

Was any wrongdoing ever proven against Tatiana Danilenko? Could it be that she was misunderstood, or that she said something that came out different in English than she would have intended? It's not her first language, I imagine. I really don't know anything about the context, and Christine Brennan's column gives none.

As to the actual topic of the thread, Kimmie Meissner's PCS score was among the highest on the SP - 3rd or 4th, I think.

MissIzzy

Final Flight
As to the actual topic of the thread, Kimmie Meissner's PCS score was among the highest on the SP - 3rd or 4th, I think.

But Danilenko had nothing to do with that. In fact, listening to this conversation makes me wonder if the judges might have even decided Kimmie was being treated unfairly by the technical panel and given her the PCS to try to compensate.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Which whistleblower would that be? The only one I know of is Sally Stapleford, who followed her report on M. La Gougne (for which she was not suspended, of course) with an attempt to start a rival federation, for which the ISU banned her and the other founders. The Court for Arbitration in Sport held it up. Didn't we discuss this a few months ago? I seem to recall someone quoting from "The Second Mark" and a whole lot of analysis of motivations and behavior of people we don't know ;).

I was being sensationalist for the story!! Still It's a shame that instead of banning Stapleford and the other ISU officials who supported the WSF, the ISU didn't just accept that fair judging is not a thing that the ISU should shy away from and should have accepted it. They chose not to accept fair judging, anonymise all judging to allow the corruption to go along unnoticed so that FS wasn't kicked out of the olympic games and banned a number of good, fair not-corrupt judges.

Was any wrongdoing ever proven against Tatiana Danilenko? Could it be that she was misunderstood, or that she said something that came out different in English than she would have intended? It's not her first language, I imagine. I really don't know anything about the context, and Christine Brennan's column gives none.

I have lost track of the corrupt judges, what they did and when they got into trouble but i was fairly certain that Danilenko was banned for a while. I forget though - was she one of the toe tappers?

Ant

Mafke

Medalist

I'm sympathetic to saying something awkwardly in a foreign language or something that comes out wrong in another language (both have happened to me often enough) but your concern is, I think misplaced.

Danilenko was so crooked she was suspended by the _Soviet_ federation (for her marks at the 1986 world championships in the mens lp).

AFAIK she's never expressed anything that would indicate she would do anything differently a second time.
(Her marking was whack at SLC too but a lot of other judges were too, it's just pure chance that the podium made sense there, the sport came very close to another scandal).

Buttercup

Record Breaker
But Danilenko had nothing to do with that. In fact, listening to this conversation makes me wonder if the judges might have even decided Kimmie was being treated unfairly by the technical panel and given her the PCS to try to compensate.
Where did I suggest Danilenko had something to do with the PCS? I must note, however, that the judges also gave Kimmie some negative GOEs for her non-jump elements. Make of that what you will...

antmanb said:
I was being sensationalist for the story!! Still It's a shame that instead of banning Stapleford and the other ISU officials who supported the WSF, the ISU didn't just accept that fair judging is not a thing that the ISU should shy away from and should have accepted it.
Ant, you have to put in emoticons, or how will read between the lines? ;)

I agree with the suspension. One can criticize - harshly, even - and try to change things, but setting up a rival federation is going too far. And as I wrote, CAS agreed. As for Ms. Danilenko, like you wrote, in the annals of the ISU, judging scandals are all too common. Or, in other words: I don't remember. :p

Oh, while I was writing Mafke answered the question. Since the original post about her was supported only be Brennan's column, I thought to give her the benefit of the doubt (my negative opinion on Ms. Brennan's reporting having been expressed elsewhere). But crooked judging has no place in any sport, period. Or really in any domain (period). That having been said, technically it is possible that someone who made a mistake over twenty years ago has since mended their ways (not necessarily Danilenko; I'm making a hypothetical point, here).

McWicked

On the Ice
So to resume this here... ummm... let's count How many of you think Kimmie was scored unfairly in her SP???

Fair = 0
Unfair = 1