Ladies' SP | Page 73 | Golden Skate

Ladies' SP

will74lsn

Rinkside
I just wanted to add. Do not understand me wrong; I am not criticizing the skaters, both Ando and Flatt are excellent skaters and they did have great elements in their programs. I am just questioning the job of (some) judges :)

prettykeys

Medalist
I thought Yu-na's skated better Bond Girl in Skate America. In Vancouver, she wasn's as speedy and enthusiastic; I thought she skated a bit tentatively. BUT, I have a renewed repect and awe towards Yu-na for not crumbling under pressure when skating right after Mao who brought the house down before her eyes. I thought Mao was great and was worried for Yu-na.
I completely agree. A lot of YuNa critics are almost completely ignoring the context of YuNa's skate last night. Watching Mao right before, I felt my heart soaring for Mao's triumph while it was simultaneously sinking into worry for YuNa. YuNa's Bond Girl at TEB and SA were more confident, but I'm still amazed by her performance in Vancouver.

And by the way, YuNa knew not to underestimate her competitors. I remember her interview saying how many skaters pull themselves together later into the season. So much for her "arrogance".

:)

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice
I have to admit that I was pretty worried for Yu-Na too. When I saw that Mao had done a clean SP, I was happy for her but I also wanted to know how Yu-Na was feeling. She took to the ice and warmed up a bit, only to listen that Mao had scored a pretty monstrous total and had done a season's best. According to Kim, there was "no pressure" which we can interpret in two ways: a) She's lying or b) She actually blocked everything out - the pressure, screaming fans, all of that - and delivered. I'm inclined to think that she just remained focused on her own skating. And it was good enough.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Both girls were amazing last night and handled Olympic pressure extremely well.
And let's not overlook Joannie who was also amazing and showed the heart of a champion.

usethis

Rinkside
Agreed completely. I've seen a better portrayal of the 'Bond girl' from Ms. Kim in the past, but that doesn't negate anything Ms. Kim's has achieved last night. Ms. Asada presented a performance of lifetime at the Olympics, and I thought she was absolutely adorable in many ways. But boy, Ms. Kim is a heck of warrior. I mean, it was obvious even TV commentators' nerves were on the edge right before Ms. Kim's performance. But Ms. Kim delivered for the most part, and considering the generous scores across the board, I think both the scores are fair. Besides which, it's not like ~5 points are an insurmountable odd in women's competition so the suspense still remains. (At least between these two outstanding competitors) Interestingly the situation is now reversed (Ms. Kim first), so that takes the suspense another notch up! I can't wait to see how it will pan out.

P.S. Can someone link to the score cards from last night?

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I totally agree as well with your considerations on the downgrades.....the sad thing is that the current positions would be MUCH different, with MIRAI in 4th, CARO in 5th and then ANDO and FLATT....It would have totally changed the podium hunt.....

I really really feel sad, because I was watching it live yesterday night and you could clearly see both of them not completing the third turn...
I am not understanding why not many other people are realizing that...Maybe because it involves the US Champion?...

I actually would not have had a problem if Mirai and Carolina were ahead of Miki and Rachael, I find Mirai and Carolina to be more complete skaters than Rachael and Miki even though the latter two are obviously great skaters as well. Rachel's 3t and 3lz were both borderline so I can see how she got away with one, but I saw super slo-mo replay and they were both slightly more than 1/4 cheated so she got very lucky getting credit for both, the same can be said for Miki although she did receive a downgrade.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
All of Carolina's jumps were off. She only did 3f+2t and the flowout from that wasn't good. She put a hand down on the 3z and her 2a barely cleared the ice and the landing was wonky. IMO, she was overscored for that performance (less than a point behind Mirai and only 1.6 behind Rachael).

Carolina hasn't been a complete skater in many years. She was good back in 2005 (when she won the bronze medal), but since then, she's grown taller and her body changed, and her jumps have gone from pretty good to pretty bad. Carolina can't jump consistently any more, and her non-jump elements were never her strong point to begin with. She still gets relatively high PCS scores, pretty much based on past reputation---with the emphasis on past.

Bijoux

Match Penalty
Judging from the posts you've made all night, you really do like Asian girls, don't you? :unsure:

yes, that poster sounds both biased and immature, and lacking in compassion. I have skated and watched it since Peggy Flemming won gold. Joannie is a mature, elegant skater. Skating always has a darling and is full of hype. YUNA has hardly earned her stripes. She needs another 3 years of skating to be truly polished. She is overscored period. Beautiful skating lines? edges? spins? watch in slow mo. Arm and hand positions> Look at Joannie. BTW there is no comparison between skaters like Sasha, Alyssa, and YUNA. If Alyssa landed her jumps she would be unbeatable. I am not canadian, nor asian and was a very skinny small boned but tall girl. I do not want FS to become the sport that only immature asian bodies can do well in. If that sounds racist it isn't. I< like Dick Button want a Ladies champion that can be of any body type and still win. YUNA is cute, not georgeously beautiful like a Flemming or Hammil or Kira. I am impressed with her but don't think she deserves the 5-10 point leads they give her. if she falls on the flip, they will still give her the gold I'm afraid. That said, could she do what Rochette did last night? NO. She has not the maturity nor experience.

As an American, I thought JO Ro had it all from the beginning. Mirai is adorable and very good. Flatt so dependable and potentially very good. I wish them well. I am glad the world is on Joannie's side. She will need it. I'm praying she does not fall/fall apart Thursday. Sadly, while she had a good skate, it would have been a great skate under better circumstances. Her musicality sets her apart as well.

vlaurend

Final Flight
I agree. When Mao was winning they were praising her potential artistry and tech ability. For me it's always been both but in one year after Mao's world championship it was all Yu na. Both have qualities that makes them almost equal and special...at least for me.

I think Mao and YuNa were both fantastic last night and also agree with the slightly higher marks for YuNa in the PCS. However, I have to respectfully disagree with the judges on the higher GOE's they gave to YuNa for the layback spin and the CCoSp. While YuNa's spins may have been slightly faster, Mao held each position for more than the required number of revolutions, which should have given her extra GOE. Also, it appeared that YuNa was a bit wobbly on her first camel position in the CCoSp. I think Mao should have gotten at least equal GOE on these two spins, bringing her technical score closer to YuNa's going into the freeskate.

Last edited:

amykaren

On the Ice
Totally.
I think Scott Hamilton's voice was breaking, too, when he spoke after her skating, right?
My mom and I both choked up quite a bit watching her tears flowing at her ending pose.
It is simply incredible how she found the strength to even stay in the competition, let alone put out that controlled performance.
Lots of kudos to her.
Yep you could tell Scott was crying. I was crying. To me, it was a defining Olympic and totally human moment.

edge31

Rinkside
I am just curious if everybody here knows the meaning behind the masquerade music Mao is skating to. It's about tragedy of a women getting killed by her husband who thinks she's cheating. Many people who loves music know this and Mao's concept of a girl going to the masqerade for the first time is just odd and ridiculous. She's smiling through out the performance! I guess Tarasova was trying to cover up Mao's lack of expression with that concept.

Interesting.... but who says one has to act out the play on the ice? She can make the music whatever she wants.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I think that the judges should have given DGs on Miki and Rachael. But I also wanted them to score higher than they did in their PCS. Although their postures, stretch and tension are not among the best, I think both skated to the music very well, esp. Rachael.

Caro is a very beautiful skater with great speed, beautiful lines, and musicality and I am a fan. But she had had many other more interesting SPs than the current short program.

I missed Mirai so I cannot say anything about her.:cry:

Alena was the one who kept my eyes on throughout the performance. She has great personality on ice and very exciting to watch.

Princesspts

Rinkside
yes, that poster sounds both biased and immature, and lacking in compassion. I have skated and watched it since Peggy Flemming won gold. Joannie is a mature, elegant skater. Skating always has a darling and is full of hype. YUNA has hardly earned her stripes. She needs another 3 years of skating to be truly polished. She is overscored period. Beautiful skating lines? edges? spins? watch in slow mo. Arm and hand positions> Look at Joannie. BTW there is no comparison between skaters like Sasha, Alyssa, and YUNA. If Alyssa landed her jumps she would be unbeatable. I am not canadian, nor asian and was a very skinny small boned but tall girl. I do not want FS to become the sport that only immature asian bodies can do well in. If that sounds racist it isn't. I< like Dick Button want a Ladies champion that can be of any body type and still win. YUNA is cute, not georgeously beautiful like a Flemming or Hammil or Kira. I am impressed with her but don't think she deserves the 5-10 point leads they give her. if she falls on the flip, they will still give her the gold I'm afraid. That said, could she do what Rochette did last night? NO. She has not the maturity nor experience.

As an American, I thought JO Ro had it all from the beginning. Mirai is adorable and very good. Flatt so dependable and potentially very good. I wish them well. I am glad the world is on Joannie's side. She will need it. I'm praying she does not fall/fall apart Thursday. Sadly, while she had a good skate, it would have been a great skate under better circumstances. Her musicality sets her apart as well.

1. Yuna Kim is 19 years old, Joannie Rochette is 24 (?)...I'd be worried as heck if Yuna was more mature than Joannie.
2. Yuna hasn't earned her stripes? What does that even mean? And what does that have to do with the rest of your post (about her not being gorgeous, her horrific positions, blah blah blah...)? She is a World Champion, three-time Grand Prix Final Champion, and holds mulitple world records! Are you saying that she hasn't earned a single title since she stepped into the Senior ranks?
3. Maybe if all those skaters who don't have "immature Asian bodies" (which I, personally, find a very offensive statement) could actually land their jumps with any sort of consistency or grace that Yuna does, they'd actually win something! I agree that skaters of all builds should be able to able to win...and it has happened countless times over the years. I doubt there is any need to panic, or criticize.
4. I guess the point of my post is to understand what your point was...cause it sort of seemed like a needless attack on a talented skater, who has worked her butt off to compete and excel under the new scoring system. With some very nice comments about other skaters added at the end. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

p.s. For a 19 year, I find Yuna Kim very gorgeous.

Darcy518

Spectator
Interesting.... but who says one has to act out the play on the ice? She can make the music whatever she wants.

That’s true! And we shouldn’t forget that Mao’s 2008-9 FP was actually based on the tragic theme that Katchaturian’s Masquerade conveys. Giving totally different interpretations of a same music might require higher degree of artistry than merely acting out a single, conventional interpretation, perhaps?

silverlake22

Record Breaker

1.) What does Alissa have to do with this? If Alissa landed her jumps key word being IF....Alissa has broken down under pressure so many times and that is the truth. I feel bad for her and she is a lovely spinner but I don't see what she has to do with this. We can say what if all we want, but the truth is Alissa has not landed clean, rotated jumps when it counts and even if she had been clean at nationals no one knows if she would have even made the Olympic team anyways. Sasha tried to make the Olympic team and did not do enough, let's not compare her with Yuna now because she isn't even competing against Yuna at this competition.

2.) Immature asian bodies? Sorry to break this to you, but Yuna does not have the body of a little girl, nor does Miki, or Akiko, or even Mao and Mirai. Just because they are thin does not mean their bodies are immature. If you compare the way they look now to the way that they looked at 14, you will see a big difference.

3.) Skaters of any body type CAN win. In the top 10 at this event we have: Yuna, Mao, Joannie, Miki, Rachael, Mirai, Carolina, Alena, Elene, and Laura. I would argue that every one of those ladies has a body type distinct from anyone else in the top 10.

4.) According to you only white girls can be beautiful? Is Yuna cute because she is asian has an "immature body"? I think Yuna is gorgeous and think those other ladies you mentioned are beautiful too. Honestly though, do really think looks effect the TECHNICAL ELEMENT SCORE? I don't. Yuna is a great jumper who is great at everything else too, that is why her scores are huge.

5.) We don't know if she could do what Rochette did last night but that's off topic - Joannie's mom just died and Yuna's mom did not. Saying that Yuna couldn't do it is insulting and I would hope that Yuna would never find herself in a situation like Joannie. Also, Joannie is 4 1/2 years older than Yuna, maturity does come with age. Why can't we just be proud of Joannie for doing what she did instead of making bogus claims that IF Yuna was in the same situation, she couldn't handle it as well.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am flabbergasted that a poster thinks Kim hasn't earned her spot on top of the podium.
Here's her history:

JGPF Champion 2006
World Junior Champion 2006
Grand Prix Final Champion 2006-2007, 2007-2008, 2009-2010
Grand Prix Final silver medalist 2008-2009
2009 4CC Champion
Worlds 2007 - bronze medalist
Worlds 2008 - bronze medalist
2009 World Champion

Yu-Na has won a medal at EVERY international event she has entered since her first event in the 2004-2005 season. That's a total of 23 events, 23 medals over 6 seasons: 17 gold, 3 silver, 3 bronze

Joannie Rochette has been competing since the 1999-2000 season, a total of 11 seasons.
Her stats:
Junior Grand Prix 1999-2000, 2000-2001: 4 competitions, 1 bronze medal Never made JGPF
World Junior Championships: 2001 8th; 2002 5th
Grand Prix:2002-2003 through 2009-2010: 14 events; 5 gold, 1 silver, 4 bronze
GPF: 2004-2005 3rd; 2008-2009 4th; 2009-2010 5th. Total: 1 bronze
4CC: 2002 9th, 2003 8th, 2004 4th, 2007 3rd, 2008 2nd, 2009 2nd. Total 2 silver, 1bronze
Worlds: 2003 17th, 2004 8th, 2005 11th, 2006 7th, 2007 10th, 2008 5th, 2009 2nd. Total 7 Worlds, 1 silver
Olympics 2006: 5th
Overall stats: 37 events over 11 seasons, 16 medals: 5 gold, 4 silver, 7 bronze

M

mylastduchess

Wow this post is ridiculous! are you seriously comparing Yu-na's spins, lines, and edges to Joannie? Yu-na isn't the most flexible skater out there but Joannie is even worse. and whats the point of bringing up Yu-na's looks, and comparing it to other skaters anyway?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Yep you could tell Scott was crying. I was crying. To me, it was a defining Olympic and totally human moment.

that he was... it broke my heart. couldn't help but wonder if his heart and mind was taken back to when he lost his mother to cancer while he was still slogging through the ranks, and how much he wanted her to share in his olympic moment. If anyone knows the pain that Joannie's going through...