Men - Free Program | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Men - Free Program

zandor

On the Ice
People forgot about Brian's injury when he almost cut half of his foot and it happened LAST MONTH! And now his foot still hurts!!:banging: He was now already there in Tokyo ready for fight while for others the come back from such like injuries takes 3 months or so.
They forgot that he has already set a world record when he made 3 quads in one programe and won the competition after. He won all these season.
I don't like speculations about someone could have done or not, Brian did what he did and HE WON! NOTHING ELSE MATTERS.
:rock: Brian Joubert the 2007 WORLD CHAMPION!:rock:

Jasper

Final Flight
They forgot that he has already set a world record when he made 3 quads in one programe and won the competition after. He won all these season.
I don't like speculations about someone could have done or not, Brian did what he did and HE WON! NOTHING ELSE MATTERS.

Was that a play on words, re. his music choice? ;) :lol:

jan

On the Ice
My biggest issue with the mens freeskate was the awful spins by Joubert and TAKAHASHI's spins. Their spinning positions were not there. I love their skating but I have issues with their spins. Compare them to Lambiel, Buttles, Weirs, Lysascheck etc.

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
I just said Stephane did not create anything. He performed a program choreographed by someonelse who should get the credit for creating the program.
Also I did not say that the music is supposed to be the exact representation of "Flamenco Dance ". I actually haven't said anything about the music only about Stephane's abilities to project the flamenco feeling.

#1 - Why you are trying to assess Stephane's program on how well he imitates a Flamenco dance. That's totally irrelevant.

#2 - Yes, Stephane DID create something. He created feeling, mood, and emotion. He created the movements of the choreography in the way that his soul moved him to perform it. That's his product as an Artist.

~Z

emma

Record Breaker
Dick Button was off in saying that Stephane was just a "wild teenager" up until this point, though. He showed ample gravitas and artistry last year too.

~Z

i agree - I thought Button must have just forgotten Lambiel last year to say that.

emma

Record Breaker
I love Takahashi's lay back spin - but I'll have to rewatch and pay more attention to his spins; anyone know what level he gets?

Joubert's spins are improving - but he does need to keep working with Ruh. The bigger issue really will be use of his upper body and transitions - he's got the jumps and they are pretty!!!

carol45

Rinkside
I am probably the only one not impressed by Stephane program. Yes it was nicely choreographed but there was no flamenco feeling to it .
To me the best program of the night belonged to Verner. Lots of energy and presence on ice.
"There was no flamenco feeling in Lambiel's program? It was only Salome Brunner?" Please....this program was done by Antonio Najarro, a Flamenco dancer and choreographer from Madrid. T

Take a look at You Tube "Stephane Lambiel Flamenco Full Ver. 2007 Art on Ice" and then tell me that Stephane was only going through the motions. At the beginning you will see Antonio dancing and then Stephane joins him. This is the real deal.

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
I love Takahashi's lay back spin - but I'll have to rewatch and pay more attention to his spins; anyone know what level he gets?

2 of his spins were really not very good at all.

But that's alright. It was still the best overall performance of the night.

~Z

rinkmaster

Rinkside
Well, perhaps the point is that if the skater went for that extra 1/8th of a turn, like they were suppose to do to get the points, they'd fall on their butts too..

I agree 100%! For too many skaters in the past have gotten too much credit for under-rotated jumps. It cheapens the accomplishments of the people doing them. I think this keeps people who cannot turn the jumps, not trying the jumps (While they know they are cheating it).

rinkmaster

Rinkside
Personally, I would much rather see a jump that is rotated, fallen on as opposed to a jump that is cheated. I just think this is one good thing about the new system. It polices the "cheaters" and penaliuzes them for it... afterall if you do not do a TRIPLE (as in 3 full rotations) then you should not get credit for doing one. Just my thoughts! BTW, some skaters still get away with the occasional cheated jump and it bugs me.

rain

Record Breaker
Finally ready to say what I thought of the mens LP. Keep in mind I had a migraine last night while watching. Overall, I found it a bit of a disappointment. I think throughout the entire competition, including last night, Lambiel was given world champion bonus points he did not necessarily deserve. Don't get me wrong, I liked his LP, and thought his presentation was probably second only to Takahashi's, but while he (to my surprise, I admit) managed to land the difficult jumps, I thought it was a bit sloppy in some other places.

Joubert I thought was good, and did really have the two overall most consistently well-done performances, and therefore, I think, deserved the gold. I was a little put off by what I thought was a bit of overdone self-congradulatory fist pumping on his part towards the end of his program.

Takahashi had the skate of the night, but I find it hard to watch programs to Phantom of the Opera....it's so overdone and mouldy, it made it harder for me to appreciate the good choreography and expression.

Verner was technically proficient in the jumps department, but his program was totally lacking in anything that might be called choreography or expression. Get him to a choreographer fast.

Disappointing for Buttle, but at least he went for it. I can really respect that he shot for the gold rather than play it safe and try to protect a medal position.

Tigger

Final Flight
You know something...I will fully admit it. I *did* forget about Brian's foot injury. No wonder he didn't shoot out the lights like he can. I change my opinion about his free skate and say it was a gutsy get through it skate and he has gone up a few notches in my respect metre.

Not that he wasn't already up there to begin w/. I've always liked Brian and am very happy for him finally getting his deserved World Championship. :)

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
Personally, I would much rather see a jump that is rotated, fallen on as opposed to a jump that is cheated. I just think this is one good thing about the new system. It polices the "cheaters" and penaliuzes them for it... afterall if you do not do a TRIPLE (as in 3 full rotations) then you should not get credit for doing one. Just my thoughts! BTW, some skaters still get away with the occasional cheated jump and it bugs me.

A Triple doesn't need to be 3 full rotations to get credit. On a Loop or Salchow you only need 2 and 1/4 turns after take off. Almost everyone cheats their Quads by a quarter turn as well. Plushenko included.

The difference between a slightly cheated jump and a "sufficiently" rotated jump is often very hard to notice in the first place. Someone falling on the jump is way more disruptive and showing less control.

~Z

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I loved Takahashi. He had me sitting on the edge throught the whole performncae. I loved that program the first time i saw it. Hs short was geat and so was the Long. I know i was pulling for brian to fianlly get his gold, but he just didn't seem to want it enough.True, i was cheering every time he landed well in the freeskate.. i felt a litle cheated out of the second quad though. I guess Joubert should have won, but Takahashi was the best of the night. I realy liked seeing Tomas Verner skate so well. It was a nice surprise. I think this guy has really started going places and that we shoudl watch out for him next season.
Too bad about the home team. i was really proud of Evan, the way that he kept fighting through Carmen....I woudl really have liked to have seen him retire it with a bang, "i got to take my hat off to him" lol. I think that he over focused the quad. I see whta you mean about johnny. it started out well, but that triple loop. I would not be at all surprised if it did not apper at all in his programs next season. (if he even competes.

p.s. was i the only one who felt cheated that ESPN did not show ODA, who must ahve made acbig comeback or Bradley?

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Since Mr. KW's teams all missed the Sweet 16, he lowered himself (his words not mine...)to watching the Men's competiton with me and had several interesting comments that I call...

Musings of an Uninterested Male Casual Viewer...

1. He really liked Joubert because he was athletic instead of lyrical... and felt really smug when Dick started describing the difference... and here is proof that regardless of where a man comes from, he's still a man: "I bet his dad wishes he played soccer instead of figure skating..." hmmm.. sound familiar? :laugh: He also enjoyed the Quad jumps.

2. Cannot figure out what's so special about Evan but then he enjoys Johnny's off-ice antics and on-ice costumes. One thing he pointed out was that Evan needs to learn how to totally prepare vs. deciding that he will win on sheer willpower alone... Having never thought of this, I think I might agree... if his training was better, he could focus that will into the presentation vs. getting through the jumps.

3. Thought Lamibel looked more like a male version of Sasha vs. a male athlete. Not sure if I agree, but it was a funny observation.

My one major thought...
I was very glad that Brian won, but VERY disappointed that I didn't see him with his shirt off...

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
My pet peeve about the men is the head snapping to the side and head rolling. Give it break please.

1cmarie

Rinkside
OT, but KW's wife, was hubby ticked about VCU (I see your from Richmond)? I gotta say, I think our boys gave it their all (I go to school there), so I hope he's not too upset, if he is. Some people got irrationally pissed, though. I mean gosh, they had a really great season in spite of all that so...

But anywayz, back on topic...Congrats Brian, Daisuke, and Stephane!

indicatoto101

On the Ice
it harder for me to appreciate the good choreography and expression.

Verner was technically proficient in the jumps department, but his program was totally lacking in anything that might be called choreography or expression. Get him to a choreographer fast.

If Verner continues to do what he did at Worlds, we may have another Plushenko at hand.:chorus: Plushenko needs to be worried. There are two other skaters, Verner and Joubert, that just throw their choreography out the window, like he does. They might beat him at his own game.

enlight78

Medalist
If Verner continues to do what he did at Worlds, we may have another Plushenko at hand.:chorus: Plushenko needs to be worried. There are two other skaters, Verner and Joubert, that just throw their choreography out the window, like he does. They might beat him at his own game.

I think they should take choreography off the PCs and put it on the TEs. Have levels one through four. and have regular GOE's
A level four choerography would be worth 7 pts in men. a +3 would make it 10pts
level three 5.5pts
level two 4pts
leve one 2.5 pts

for women and pairs
level four 5pts
level three 3.8pts
level two 2.6pts
level one 2 pts

some of you may not think choreography is hard as jump, but hard choregraphy takes up a lot of energy and makes it 3x harder to do the jumps.

Last edited:

Tigger

Final Flight
My one major thought...
I was very glad that Brian won, but VERY disappointed that I didn't see him with his shirt off...

Oh KW...You should be up here watching the CBC CC coverage. We've seen the same Brian and Preaubert fluff piece every single night this week and Brian has his shirt off about three or four times during it.

No, I am not rubbing it in, just letting you know. :agree: