15.Stuart BECKINGHAM
16.Gareth ECHARDT RSA
17.Tristan THODE NZL
18.Miguel Angel MOYRON
19.Humberto CONTRERAS
20.Justin PIETERSEN
21.Adrian ALVARADO
22.Konrad GIERING

Apparently both Evan and Ryan landed 7 triples, while Buttle only landed 5. Something smells fishy here.
:\

bonmil

Rinkside
Men's Final Standings

Perhaps it was the presentation. Its not always about the jumps. Buttle's presentation marks were quite a bit higher...also, the "quality" of the jumps make a difference. Jeffery Buttle and Emanual Sandhu both have intricate connecting steps into their jumps. I don't know about the other two, maybe they didn't have as high a degree of difficulty in the presentation.

dewet

Final Flight
1 Jeffrey BUTTLE CAN 1.0
4.6 4.7 4.9 5.1 5.2 5.2 5.3 5.3 5.4 5.4 5.4 5.5 5.5 5.6
5.4 5.4 5.5 5.5 5.5 5.5 5.7 5.8 5.8 5.8 5.8 5.8 5.8 5.9

2 Emanuel SANDHU CAN 2.0
4.9 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.2 5.3 5.3 5.4 5.4 5.5 5.6 5.6 5.6 5.7
5.4 5.4 5.5 5.5 5.6 5.6 5.6 5.6 5.7 5.7 5.7 5.7 5.8 5.8

3 Evan LYSACEK USA 3.0
5.1 5.1 5.3 5.4 5.4 5.4 5.5 5.5 5.5 5.5 5.5 5.6 5.6 5.7
5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 5.5 5.5 5.5 5.5 5.6 5.6 5.6 5.6 5.7 5.7

Some of the marks seem a bit low for Lysacek..., and Buttle's technical marks seem to have a very wide range. I'll wait until I see it (if ABC even bothers to televise it, that is).

bonmil

Rinkside
Yes, there does seem to be a wide range, especially in the required elements section. CBC will show it tomorrow, I am sure it will make sense then.

Verbalgirl77

On the Ice
I'm still in disbelief.

At FSU they reported that Jeff apparently didn't land a 3a, no 3lutz, landed 2 3toes not in combination, and had a 1loop-3loop as his only combo?

Evan and Ryan were apparently both clean. Both landed 3a. Ryan landed his 3z-3loop combo & Tano Lutz and Evan did his 3z-3t & 3 jump combos total. Ryan's got Tom Dickson choreography and great presentation. Evan's no slouch either.

The mind boggles...

ice_bean

Spectator
It was a very interesting event. me and my best friend & her sister ended up getting last minute tickets to tonights stuff, and i will say the mens did get a little bit tedious after all the spolied performances. But Jeff was really good! the crowd really loves him. I don't believe Emmanual landed a clean triple, but I could be wrong. There werent any clean quads either :eek:)

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Verbalgirl77 said:
I'm still in disbelief.

At FSU they reported that Jeff apparently didn't land a 3a, no 3lutz, landed 2 3toes not in combination, and had a 1loop-3loop as his only combo?

Evan and Ryan were apparently both clean. Both landed 3a. Ryan landed his 3z-3loop combo & Tano Lutz and Evan did his 3z-3t & 3 jump combos total. Ryan's got Tom Dickson choreography and great presentation. Evan's no slouch either.

The mind boggles...

As we say in real estate, LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION.:\

bonmil

Rinkside
What does location have to do with it? They're all ISU judges. I'll wait until it is televised. Then decide for myself...they probably won't show them all anyway.

ice_mommy

Spectator
ice_bean said:
But Jeff was really good! the crowd really loves him. I don't believe Emmanual landed a clean triple, but I could be wrong. There werent any clean quads either :eek:)

Emanuel landed a quad toe (not a perfect landing but good enough to add a double loop) as did MA, GAO and TAKAHASHI. In addition to Emanuel's quad toe he landed at least 5 clean triples. One of the landings had no flow out, but it was clean. There was another triple which he may have 2 footed slightly.

Jeff landed 5 triples, but one of them was repeated and not in combination, I think. He doubled 2 jumps and popped one. The technical difficulty jump wise just wasn't there.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I hope this is eventually televised.........should be interesting.....42

Cleo

On the Ice
Re: Men's Final Standings

bonmil said:
Perhaps it was the presentation. Its not always about the jumps. Buttle's presentation marks were quite a bit higher...also, the "quality" of the jumps make a difference. Jeffery Buttle and Emanual Sandhu both have intricate connecting steps into their jumps. I don't know about the other two, maybe they didn't have as high a degree of difficulty in the presentation.

Jahnke has *excellent* choreo., connecting moves, edges, speed, line, posture, etc., etc., etc. Watch the broadcast and see him get ripped off by the judges yet one more time this season.

Yes, this one smells very fishy. Much as I love Jeff, methinks he was held up big time.

Rosaleen

Medalist
Hey Cleo,

I'm still up at ???? time here in Hamilton. Just spent an hour or more writing up a 'dissertation' of my thoughts on the men's results. It's on the notes & results thread. . .

I think you'll be please that I'd have had Ryan in 1st in the free. Check it out.

Aria

Rinkside
How Many Clean Triples Did Jeff Land?

Some reports say Jeff landed five clean triples and some (including USFSA) say he only landed four. Which is right?

jesslily

Final Flight
Ryan Jahnke is a great classical skater. At US natioanl he should be at least 2nd. His huge jumps, great program, true edges, and nice flow, a lot better than many skaters who can just twist a quad. Too bad he is not awarded his true skating again in Canada.:\

I think we will have to see this to figure it out.

I did not expect Evan to beat the seasoned international Canadian skaters so it is no surprise he is in third place. However, going over the scores where Evan's scores are generally consistently high, and the Buttle and Sanshu are not, I believe would be the result of the seven judges drawn on the Panel.

Still, Evan is now becoming known in the Senior International scene. Good for him and congrats of Jeffrey and Emmanuel.

Joe

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
The problem is using the 'anonymous' 6.0 system. If you look at the marks, had all of the scores been included, the results might have been quite differrent. The 2 American guys were marked the most consistently-all the judges pretty much agreed they did a good job. The Canadians had some judges love them and some not and, obviously, the ones who liked them were the marks that counted. The technical marks for Jeff Buttle were low but he had very high artistic marks from some judges and that's what gave it to him. To me, the 'anonymous' 6.0 system is worse than the old system because of this and it allows judges to fool even more since nobody knows which judge gave Jeff in the 4s for technical and which gave 5.6 for technical and 5.9 for artistic when it doesn't sound justified.

Listening to the critique by many of you, your thinking has moved on to the new points system. In that system, Jeff Buttle couldn't have won with the jumps he did. To me, that does sound more fair. So then you have to look at SC's not sending him to Worlds. A good one? I still think so. Technical merit will count more in the points system. Ben has the potential to nail a Q-T combo and Jeff does not. Artistic won't win you a title in the new system if you're off by that much technically. And let's be honest, it shouldn't.

Just my two cents. I wasn't there so I'll have to wait for next weekend to know what I really think of the placings.

Last edited:

shine

Record Breaker
In only 2 hours I'll be able to scream Ryan Jahnke WUZ ROBBED!!!!!!!!