Men's Short Program: 2013 Skate Canada International | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Men's Short Program: 2013 Skate Canada International

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Is this a joke? Ross Miner has never won anything on the senior level. His last win was in 2009 as the Junior National Champion and a win at a junior grand prix event held in the USA. His resume, both nationally and internationally, is vastly inferior to Jeremy Abbott's. Abbott has won 3 Senior Grand Prix titles (1 at Skate Canada; 2 at Cup of China), a Senior Grand Prix Final title in the 2008-2009 season, 3 Senior US National Championships, the 2006 Finlandia Trophy, and 1 Junior US National Championship.

Strange that Ross Miner continues to bomb and is labeled a reliable, steady competitor, but when Jeremy Abbott bombs, he is constantly called a headcase. What gives? :confused:

Ross Miner seems to have only started to bomb in about the last year or so. In 2010 and 2011, IIRC, he was quite consistent, even though he didn't attempt the hardest technical content out of the men.

wallylutz

Medalist
I really like him but I really thought his skating skills were at a lower level than last year for him...not sure why.

I made the same observation from Finlandia but naturally, a whole gang of usual suspects barked at me for stating the obvious.

SGrand

Final Flight
Thank you, Flaneur! We seem to be in the minority on this page, however.

I figured you would be raked over the coals for your John Curry comparison (although I thought it would be worse lol). I personally love watching Patrick skate; his lines and flow are incredible to me. He is so fluid, nothing jerky, shoulders are down and relaxed, arms positioned just right. Yeah, maybe he's more learned than a natural artist, not everyone can be Taka or Buttle, but give him the credit he is due. He may be introverted in his emoting compared to some, but there is nothing, to me anyway, that makes me cringe or want to turn away during his performance. His footwork during that silence is gorgeous, my favourite part (although I loved it more at worlds).

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It's hilarious how people are such haters.

Here's the thing; Chan scored 10 points below his PB, Hanyu and Oda failed to have clean programs so maybe before you parrot "his skating leaves me cold, why does he always win, etc." maybe ask why the rest of the field doesn't step up instead of whining about judging or how much you dislike his skating therefore it shouldn't get good marks.

He did a 3-3 (and 3T-3T at that with -GOE), hence the sub 90 score. The rest of the program was intricate and superbly executed. Even if his PCS were lower he'd still be comfortably in the lead.

But by all means keep crowing how much you hate him. He deserves the lead, plain and simple.

Alvyne

On the Ice
Country
Canada

Here's the thing; Chan scored 10 points below his PB, Hanyu and Oda failed to have clean programs so maybe before you parrot "his skating leaves me cold, why does he always win, etc." maybe ask why the rest of the field doesn't step up instead of whining about judging or how much you dislike his skating therefore it shouldn't get good marks.

He did a 3-3 (and 3T-3T at that with -GOE), hence the sub 90 score. The rest of the program was intricate and superbly executed. Even if his PCS were lower he'd still be comfortably in the lead.

But by all means keep crowing how much you hate him. He deserves the lead, plain and simple.

:agree:

SGrand

Final Flight

Thank-you.

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
It was very obvious that Hanyu was a bundle of nerves before he started which affected the program. He skated it much better early last season. He'll do well in the free is my prediction.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The positive that Abbott fans can take from this SP competition is that he achieved all Level 4 spins and a Level 4 on his step sequence. In the past, his spins are an area that has troubled him with low levels. It's a shame that he left points on the table with his jump passes here. He is really making great progress and appears to be taking his preparation for this season very seriously. GO JEREMY! :love:

bekalc

Record Breaker

I don't have a problem with Patrick's score. However, some of the judges gave Oda sixes for skating skills. I'm sorry but that's just plain ridiculous. I mean he was within .50 of Miner..

wallylutz

Medalist
I don't have a problem with Patrick's score. However, some of the judges gave Oda sixes for skating skills. I'm sorry but that's just plain ridiculous. I mean he was within .50 of Miner..

Two judges in particular are very strict, aka. low markers at this competition. They seem to be consistent though, they are below average low on all skaters, you can clearly discern them from the protocol.

When you look at Oda's actual SS mark, it turns out to be 7.82, quite respectable in fact considering he skated very early.

Pay no mind to the outliers, some judges are going to be stricter than others just as some judges are prone to hand out marks like candies.

starryxskies

On the Ice
Did anyone notice how 1 judge gave Oda's 4T-fall a GOE of +2 while every other judge was a -3 or at least -2? How does that even happen....

bekalc

Record Breaker
Two judges in particular are very strict, aka. low markers. They seem to be consistent though, they are below average low on all skaters, you can clearly discern them from the protocol.

It doesn't matter wallylutz. 6s for Oda in skating skills is plan ridiculous. The guy has some of the best skating skills in the world. Strict would have been 7.5. That's strict for a skater of Oda's caliber. There's strict and there is low balling a skater.

Oda does have some issues PCS, absolutely but skating skills isn't; one of them.

And the fact is those two judges brought Oda's average down.

Skating early is no excuses, the skating early excuse only illustrates the problem. That skating is reputation based, and that lower ranked/rep skaters get the raw end of the stick. Those judges should be censored.

Even I can notice on my tv, the quality of Oda's skating.

sweetskates1

Medalist
Agree...

It doesn't matter wallylutz. 6s for Oda in skating skills is plan ridiculous. The guy has some of the best skating skills in the world. Strict would have been 7.5. That's strict for a skater of Oda's caliber. There's strict and there is low balling a skater.

Oda does have some issues PCS, absolutely but skating skills isn't; one of them.

treeloving

Medalist

And the fact is those two judges brought Oda's average down.

Skating early is no excuses, the skating early excuse only illustrates the problem. Those judges should be censored.

:clap:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
The positive that Abbott fans can take from this SP competition is that he achieved all Level 4 spins and a Level 4 on his step sequence. In the past, his spins are an area that has troubled him with low levels. It's a shame that he left points on the table with his jump passes here. He is really making great progress and appears to be taking his preparation for this season very seriously. GO JEREMY! :love:

This Abbott fan is happy that he landed his quad this early in the season. So he lost focus, like most skaters who just begin to land quads or are inconsistent with their quads. As I said before, he just needs to get used to landing them. He tends to lose it if he falls on the first jump, a quad, so losing focus for landing one is better than falling on one. Make it a habit and he will skate the rest of the program beautifully as he can.

wallylutz

Medalist

The truth is, Chan left the door wide open for Hanyu. In my mind, even with the little error on the 4T, had Hanyu not missed the Lutz combo, he would have been first.

Chan was the only guy without a visible error tonight whereas the field pretty much all bombed. A casual skating fan wouldn't even notice Chan made an error in his combo, given how many in this thread were asking whether it was 4-3 or 3-3.

As a result, his "win" is more a result of who sucked less tonight.

Hanyu had a mandatory -3 on his combo while Oda went splat on ice. Somehow, the "I am sick of Chan because he always win" crowd overlook those. But hey, don't let logic impede the haters, or the blenders. They are born this way, it's in their DNA. :laugh: