Michelle Kwan to cover Sochi Olympics for Fox Sports | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Michelle Kwan to cover Sochi Olympics for Fox Sports

lavender

Record Breaker
It seems like Michelle won't be expected to do a lot of extemporaneous speaking as it seems like mostly fluff and features pieces on various sports - I kinda imagine that might play like her Royal Caribbean commercials where she might try out the apparatus, etc. I think a lot will depend on how they tape and what kind of rapport she establishes. Will she skate circles around some hockey players? Will she try curling? These types of scenarios will allow Michelle to relax into the moment and play.

She might also do some post skating analysis - so , she wouldn't be commenting live and will have time to think about what she wants to say.

Awesome. She's actually pretty good doing this kind of interview.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Fox Sports official press release from yesterday:
Figure Skating Icon Michelle Kwan Named Fox Sports Olympic Analyst
Olympic Medalist Provides Commentary For Fox Sports 1, FoxSports.com & Fox Sports Radio

http://static.foxsports.com/content...chelle_Kwan_Joins_Fox_Sports1375733468591.pdf

Excerpt (with language a little different from AP's, I think?):
New York – Michelle Kwan, the most decorated figure skater in U.S. history, joins Fox Sports as an analyst for the 2014 Winter Games from Sochi, Russia. Kwan provides expert analysis during figure skating events and contributes daily commentary prior to and throughout The Games across all FOX Sports platforms including FOX Sports 1, America's new sports network launching August 17, FoxSports.com and Fox Sports Radio.

Wonder how the "analysis during figure skating events" will work ... given that Fox Sports does not have broadcast rights to show any Sochi competitions (with the exception of very brief snippets).

And not clear whether she will be conducting athlete interviews, but I think that giving her that role would be highly advantageous for Fox Sports. NBC will have first dibs on interviewing athletes, but I imagine that many of them (whether or not they are skaters, and whether or not they are Americans) would consider it a privilege to be interviewed by Kwan as well.

ladybug

On the Ice
Think about how great it would be if Michelle could get enough input on Fox Sport 1, to get them the rights to broadcast figure skating in the future. Maybe three days for each of the Grand Prix's, Europeans, Worlds as well as Nationals. Also perhaps they could televise "Live" rather that two or three weeks after the fact for two hours each. (Except for Nationals which gets more air time)

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Think about how great it would be if Michelle could get enough input on Fox Sport 1, to get them the rights to broadcast figure skating in the future. Maybe three days for each of the Grand Prix's, Europeans, Worlds as well as Nationals. Also perhaps they could televise "Live" rather that two or three weeks after the fact for two hours each. (Except for Nationals which gets more air time)

That would definitely be a testament to the drawing power of the Kween. :)

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thrilled that the Kween will be broadcasting at the Games! Good for her and good for her fans!

Now, that is an inspired idea! It would be splendid to have another venue for skating on actual TV, not some online site that I can't figure out how to access.

brightphoton

Medalist
Question: I thought NBC bought all the rights to air Olympics footage. How is Fox News able to broadcast Olympic stuff?

heyang

Record Breaker
Question: I thought NBC bought all the rights to air Olympics footage. How is Fox News able to broadcast Olympic stuff?

They likely won't be broadcasting any clips of the events until after NBC broadcasts. However, all media outlets have reporters at the Olympics that are allowed to interview athletes as well as put together fluff pieces on the various events. If anything, these types of stories can boost Olympic viewing as they may pique someone's interest enough to watch the Olympics.

MaureenKB

Rinkside
I am really excited to hear this. I think this is a wonderful opportunity for Michelle. I will be looking for her on this new Fox sports channel.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They likely won't be broadcasting any clips of the events until after NBC broadcasts. However, all media outlets have reporters at the Olympics that are allowed to interview athletes as well as put together fluff pieces on the various events. If anything, these types of stories can boost Olympic viewing as they may pique someone's interest enough to watch the Olympics.

I think Michelle should do some of the stuff she did on those cruise line videos with Greg Louganis. She was good at all of the activities. She should interview the athletes and then try their sports, like snowboarding and curling. She can also add a lot of insight into the skating competitions. I'm sure they can use clips from the short programs after they air and Michelle can do an analysis and say what the skaters need to do to win.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Because of this news, MK is #2 on trending topics on Yahoo! :laugh:

Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/V19Lt1X.png

Wow that is sooo cool! The lady still got it! I hope she get tons of money for this, can't wait for the analysis, commentary, and maybe interview with Yuna (+ other skaters):p

Not Fox's biggest fan, but may have no choice but to tune in now just for the Kwan.

thinspread

On the Ice
Great! I would love to see her cover events, athletes and stories, as well as figure skating. She's a certified heterosexual and cleared too.

leoncorazon

Skating on through
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Good call jenaj...that would be so cool and maybe Michelle could even speed skate with some of the speed skaters!

Of course, if she wanted to include figure skating in the list of sports she'd try her hand at, we wouldn't complain....