Mirai Nagasu | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Mirai Nagasu

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
Love the programs as well. Transitions in the FS look great! Must be that extra funding from being on the Team A envelope this year that got her to work with David Wilson. Kinda missing her beautiful Ina Bauer and spread eagle moves though, she does them so well!

YES, she should replace the spiral at the end of the program to a long Ina Bauer!

slider11

Medalist
YES, she should replace the spiral at the end of the program to a long Ina Bauer!

I do miss the Ina Bauer and spread eagles, too, although the spiral at the end as part of a step sequence was special. Maybe the Ina and spread eagles are in the short. This is a terriific program. I already know I will enjoy watching this many times over the coming season.

aviva_dawn

On the Ice
Love both of her programs. Doesn't hurt that I've had that nocturne on my "Please Skate To This" list for Mirai for years and years now.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Love both of her programs. Doesn't hurt that I've had that nocturne on my "Please Skate To This" list for Mirai for years and years now.

I just LOVE this nocturne. It suits her so well. I'm not too into vocals, but I know her FS will grow on me. Great beginning to the season. :)

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Her FS music, "Winner takes it all" by Abba sounds meaningful...am I the only thinking the choice of music recalls the U.S team selection for Sochi? I'm not against the song choice and choreography, but the program is more like an exhibition program that reflects her life.

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
Her FS music, "Winner takes it all" by Abba sounds meaningful...am I the only thinking the choice of music recalls the U.S team selection for Sochi? I'm not against the song choice and choreography, but the program is more like an exhibition program that reflects her life.

no, the song applies to everything for me. The winner takes it all... in figure skating.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So how did Mirai place at Skate Detroit?

From Unseen Skater...

(Nagasu qualified but elected not to skate and Mateya replaced her.)

She did alright in the SP but didn't skate the FS. I think I heard talk that her programs may not be completed yet.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... She did alright in the SP but didn't skate the FS. I think I heard talk that her programs may not be completed yet.

To clarify:

Mirai did compete her FS at Skate Detroit in the qualifying round.

My understanding is that she elected not to compete her FS in the final round, although she did qualify for it.

In Sarah Rasher's recap of Skate Detroit, she has comments about Mirai's programs.

Video of Mirai's FS (uploaded to Sarah's YT channel) is embedded in the blog.

As is true for lots of skaters, Mirai's programs are "works in progress" at this early stage of the season.

Last edited:

slider11

Medalist
I thought it was a decent showing for Mirai in Detroit. Ton of potential and she landed/fully rotated about half of her jumps and showed some interesting transitions and step sequences. I particularly like the sequence at the end with the deep spiral.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks, Eris and ozmodiar for the Mirai links. I will update the OP with these.

I really enjoyed Mirai's Demons - it seems she did sort of a return to the choreo that Adam Rippon did when she initially debuted it as an EX.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just received my October copy of International Figure Skating magazine, and there's a nice article on Mirai in there entitled "A Fighting Spirit". It talks about Worlds, working with Tom Z, what it's like to train in Colorado, and working with Jeffrey Buttle and David Wilson on her new programs. Nice photo of her too which I think is from her Worlds SP.

"I wanted to work with David and Jeff. So I decided to take a leap of faith and make an investment this year". Buttle choreographed her short program to Chopin's Nocturne in C-Sharp Minor. "Jeff worked with David when he was a younger skater and I could see his influence on Jeff's skating. But at the same time, it was very different. I loved working with David. Overall I really love both programs and I hope that I can do them justice as the season goes on."

Wilson was thrilled when Nagasu finally asked him to do a program for her. "I have really enjoyed her never-give-up attitude the past few years. I really admire her tenacity. In this day and age of the newest, next sensation, I have always had a soft spot for the more mature skater who still wants to go out there and go for it."

She then goes on to say that she has her sights set on the 2018 Olympics but has no firm plans beyond that. She will wait and see how she is feeling physically. But for now "I am as much in love with skating as I have ever been and as I get older it continues to be an important part of my life. I am so grateful to my parents for introducing me to something I really enjoy."

Last edited:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States