Mirai Nagasu's future prospects | Page 58 | Golden Skate

Mirai Nagasu's future prospects

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Fine by me, as long as they are consistent

Consistent is not good enough. That puts skaters who actually rotate their jumps, like Courtney, at a disadvantage. The judging need to be accurate based on how the jumps would be called by an international tech panel.

R.D.

Record Breaker
The judging need to be accurate based on how the jumps would be called by an international tech panel.

In theory I agree. But what we tend to get is that some skaters are scrutinized more than others. Either scrutinize ALL or NONE, that's my bigger point. Be consistent. I don't think that's too much to ask for...

Of course, in an ideal world we could have the above, without any bias whatsoever.

b-man

Final Flight
^^
I don't know if I agree with you on that. Because there have been several posters who've said as much about her skates I went back and watched nationals and looked at the jumps in super slo-mo. While I definitely can see most jumps that she under-rotates this fall, I was definitely not catching them in real time at Nationals, and I figured since several posters are claiming she got credit when she shouldn't have, but I'm not seeing it, I owed it to myself to watch in super slo-mo so I could finally see what others did.

And the thing is, the only triple in super slo-mo I would even question that got credit is the triple toe in her axel/toe combo (and then of course the opening flip which even my eyes could catch). Everything else was around and clean. I watched multiple times to make sure that it wasn't wishful thinking, and yeah - those jumps are clean. I'll even admit there are a few as she's coming down I think "she's not going to get that" and yet somehow when her blade hits the ice, it's pointing in the right direction, there's no hook.

I'm not necessarily trying to argue anything about should she have been on a team or not, I'm just saying those jumps were definitely rotated.

It looks like poster Samson and others others who have taken a closer look disagree.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
By Worlds 2003, Sarah's 'lutz' was so bad that the right edge of her boot was actually touching the ice as she prepared to tap in!

And if Ashley got cut a few breaks at Nationals last year, so did Mirai---the tech panel ignored Mirai's URs, and the judges mistook Mirai's blank look for intensity.

Or perhaps the intense look was gas lol. But seriously as long as the judges are consistent that is key.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Good for Mirai placing 4th in the SP, I thought she looked pretty strong last night and did sell her program well.

As much as I want to see her on the podium this year and repeat her bronze medal, I'm afraid if she does come in third, that she may be yet left off the world team and Polina or Courtney, depending on who finishes in 4th or 5th will be sent in her place.

I'd rather she finish somewhere in 4-6 tomorrow, so there won't be the same controversy as last year.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Good for Mirai placing 4th in the SP, I thought she looked pretty strong last night and did sell her program well.

As much as I want to see her on the podium this year and repeat her bronze medal, I'm afraid if she does come in third, that she may be yet left off the world team and Polina or Courtney, depending on who finishes in 4th or 5th will be sent in her place.

I'd rather she finish somewhere in 4-6 tomorrow, so there won't be the same controversy as last year.

I am 100% sure she would not get bumped unless she came in 3rd and Ashley or Gracie were in 4th. Polina and Courtney would not bump anyone off the team because they haven't had remarkable seasons.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Let's hope you are right, drivingmissdaisy,if Mirai should place 3rd.

I only thought this b/c Courtney's scores were higher on the GP than Mirai's were. And Polina said she was being supported by the US Figure Skating Association.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I am 100% sure she would not get bumped unless she came in 3rd and Ashley or Gracie were in 4th. Polina and Courtney would not bump anyone off the team because they haven't had remarkable seasons.

This. The level of controversy were she bumped for one of them could not be survived given how completely mediocre their seasons have been. It would be comparable, on paper, to one of them being bumped for Mirai.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I only thought this b/c Courtney's scores were higher on the GP than Mirai's were. And Polina said she was being supported by the US Figure Skating Association.

The USFSA hasn't been very forthright about how skaters would be bumped, probably to give themselves leeway to do it whenever they want. It is rare and wouldn't be done because one skater had a better season that the other, but rather one or two skaters had a much better season than the entire field. Even in Angela Wang ended up in 3rd and one of Polina/Mirai/Courtney finished in 4th, Wang would go to Worlds.

noskates

Record Breaker
I just watched Mirai's short program. And while she did do an admirable job, she STILL doesn't look like she's enjoying what she's doing. It's like a job. I think she's fast on the ice but she still looks heavy on the ice to me. I guess I just don't get the love!

willdu

On the Ice
Did anyone see the fluff on Mirai on the livestream before the final group for free dance? Mirai clearly isn't that little girl from 2010 that everyone wants, the little ball of energy that is always bumbling and smiling. She shows class and maturity, and that is also what's changed in her skating.

I think that she enjoys skating very much, her interpretation is more nuanced now. I think her SP was much more expressive than last years Gershwin's piece. I think you really have to pay attention to Mirai's face because I think her expressions are really subtle. But her musicality is there in her arms, etc. It's very different to let's say Ashley who sells a program and has really an expressive face to go with it.

I will say though, something about Mirai's skating does seem a bit heavy. But her speed and quality of skating has definitely improved over her short time with Tom Z.

LyraAngelica

On the Ice

I don't think they want the same PR nightmare as they did after the Nationals last year. I've seen many skating fans still holding a grudge over it.

Amei

Record Breaker

I kinda hope that the top 3 have splatfests and she wins Nationals so the Fed can't keep her off any team :cheer2: