Mirai Nagasu's future prospects | Page 57 | Golden Skate

Mirai Nagasu's future prospects

cjsk8fan

On the Ice
I don't actually think it is too much of a long shot. Polina is not skating well and is having problems with UR's as well. Gracie will probably skate well enough to make top three. I was impressed with Ashley, however, she actually fully rotated her triple triple at the GP final. Who else would be in the running for the third spot? I think Mirai has a very good chance.

Crystallize

On the Ice
A national title for Mirai would be a long shot, but making the World's team? That's doable. I see her as having a better chance than either Polina or Samantha.

Figure 8's

On the Ice
I have been waiting for years for Mirai to get that magic back that she had when she won her US Gold. I have come to the conclusion it is never going to happen. It is almost painful to watch her skate with the stress on her face and the tension in her body. She may enjoy skating but I doubt if she enjoys competing. What worries me is some one is pushing her to keep competing.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Mirai skates last in the SP! If she hits everything she should be rewarded nicely.

For sure. Her position will net her ~2-3 more points in PCS than had she skated in the first two groups. The most important factor will be whether Terry Kubicka is a strict caller.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I do not understand why a true fan of Mirai's would want anything but a strict caller. Isn't it better that her problems are pointed out to her, instead of covered up?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OTOH, it can be hard to be the last skater because of the long wait. In 2014, Polina was last to skate the SP, and she did very well, nailing her 3/3 and finishing 2nd overall. But at 15, she did not have the burden of fan expectations on her as Mirai does.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I do not understand why a true fan of Mirai's would want anything but a strict caller. Isn't it better that her problems are pointed out to her, instead of covered up?

Though I agree with that sentiment, it always seems to me that Mirai gets hammered on the UR's more than others. With a few exceptions, Mirai always would come to Nationals fit and on her A game. And she still doesn't get the marks. I hope for her sake she skates lights out and gets better marks. If it's same old same old, I'd just advise her to retire. She got a new coach this season, better programs, and really seemed to dedicate this entire past year to improving. If that doesn't result in any change, then what's the point?

Icey

Record Breaker
I suspect Mirai's jumps are scrutinized a lot more than that of other skaters . If true, that is hardly fair. Liam, I would give her some more time to work out whatever skating and other problems she might have. It takes some time just to adjust to a new coach. All that being said, I think Mirai is going to medal this year.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
It seems like this season a lot more skaters are having their jumps scrutinized. Ashley, for example, usually did not get a lot of < calls in the past; last season at Skate America her 3/3 looked < and at Nationals a few of her jumps also looked < but she got full credit. This season, she has had quite a few < called correctly.

mskater93

Record Breaker
The most important factor will be whether Terry Kubicka is a strict caller.

I would guess he is based on his history as a skater.

As for Mirai getting "more scrutiny" (suggesting it's unfair but not saying it specifically) than other skaters, I'd disagree. In the rink at SkAm, I was able to pick out which jumps were going to be reviewed in real time during her program and which were under rotated (I named them off after her skate before her score came up). For a tech panel, you have to be fair and fair is that something that looks not quite right gets reviewed. Also, she doesn't do herself any favors in her 6 minute warm up. At SkAm she warmed up a bunch of her jumps right in front of the tech panel's table (we were 10 rows behind the judges/tech panel) and you could see the under rotation on the ice from our seats, so I am sure that the tech panel and judges saw them as well. If I had iffy rotation, I'd certainly bury those elements FAR away from the judges/tech panel, especially on fresh ice.

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States
It seems like this season a lot more skaters are having their jumps scrutinized. Ashley, for example, usually did not get a lot of < calls in the past; last season at Skate America her 3/3 looked < and at Nationals a few of her jumps also looked < but she got full credit. This season, she has had quite a few < called correctly.

The judges at nationals last year were doing everything in their power to hold Ashley up. Even with their help she only managed 4th place, yet was rewarded with an Olympic birth over Mirai. Could you imagine if she had placed lower what would the USFSA had done? Let's see what happens this year...

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
The judges at nationals last year were doing everything in their power to hold Ashley up. Even with their help she only managed 4th place, yet was rewarded with an Olympic birth over Mirai. Could you imagine if she had placed lower what would the USFSA had done? Let's see what happens this year...

To be fair, I think it's likely that Mirai had at least as many as < (if not more than) Ashley. Ashley definitely had her problems but Mirai could have been slammed for her < but she wasn't.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not only that but Mirai's program was almost devoid of any choreography. I swear she took about a 1 minute break in the middle of the program.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Also, she doesn't do herself any favors in her 6 minute warm up. At SkAm she warmed up a bunch of her jumps right in front of the tech panel's table (we were 10 rows behind the judges/tech panel) and you could see the under rotation on the ice from our seats, so I am sure that the tech panel and judges saw them as well. If I had iffy rotation, I'd certainly bury those elements FAR away from the judges/tech panel, especially on fresh ice.

Excellent point. Why doesn't her coaching team tell her that?? It was like when Robin actually said she moved Sarah's flip that she called a lutz to a farrer vantage point so the judges could not decisively call it a flip (and let's just say Sarah Hughes NEVER had a lutz, she curved so much into the circle to the point of a prerotation on what Robin would call her 'lutz'. But hey it worked.) Good luck Mirai, and show us some of this: http://youtu.be/3rJX0_QqCTE

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
By Worlds 2003, Sarah's 'lutz' was so bad that the right edge of her boot was actually touching the ice as she prepared to tap in!

And if Ashley got cut a few breaks at Nationals last year, so did Mirai---the tech panel ignored Mirai's URs, and the judges mistook Mirai's blank look for intensity.

Last edited: