Nathan Chen | Page 944 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

sheetz

Record Breaker
The competition will be on the ISU Youtube channel unless you have a broadcaster in your region. (And there's always the option of VPN)

sheetz

Record Breaker
Yesterday the Youtube channel "Skatalk" hosted a livechat where they were asked who they thought had the best steps. One of the hosts, former JP skater Kento Kajita, said Nathan because of his really good balance. Apparently Shoma was in the chat and said that Nathan makes difficult steps look so easy that they don't appear to be hard.

The question is at 1:05:28 into the show, and Shoma appears under his alias ("おじげーみんぐしょま") in the chatbox at 1:07:12.

Last edited:

sheetz

Record Breaker

sheetz

Record Breaker
Some quotes from Lynn Rutherford
@nathanwchen
partly credits his fine form to more focused training during off-season:"The lack of shows, lack of other obligations, made be able to go on a daily basis & train with Raf (Arutunian)." He is not currently enrolled in Yale but is auditing classes.
@nathanwchen
finds the movement in the Latin section of his short more challenging than his free to Philip Glass selections: "It is more character-driven .... it's new for me. Glass is simple, minimal, I feel like I can interpret it better than the short."

Parts about Nathan have been added to her SA article

sheetz

Record Breaker
More quotes
In a Zoom press conference, @nathanwchen
said he was introduced to minimalist composer Philip Glass in a Listening to Music class at @Yale
. Chen said he also is a big fan of Dutch painter Piet Mondrian, whose modernist work some consider to have influenced the minimalists.
#NathanChen’s not at @Yale
this year, but he says his time there broadened his perspective: “It’s important to understand that without skating, there still is a world and a lot going on, so being able to switch out of that one specific goal mindset is helpful.”

shine

Record Breaker
Watched his sp run through. Hope the steps he did were not the new changed steps he’s actually going to do in competition, because that was totally not matching the music at the right moments based on what he did for ISP or JO... Jumps looked good though.

1111bm

Final Flight
You mean the step sequence? :unsure:

Seems to struggle with 4F, I wonder why he isn't doing 4Lz instead. (and omitting it altogether)

sheetz

Record Breaker