Nathan Chen | Page 945 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

shine

Record Breaker
I honestly thought it was because he lost a bit of balance on that pose and missed the timing of the clap. We'll see.

fierysky

Rinkside
The arms behind the back is kind of a Mexican dance move so I think it was clearly intentional.

Interview with Johnny and Terry

I'm not sure I love the changes at all. The original has way more little nuances and flairs that matched the music much better.

Hopefully it's because the changes are new and he's still getting used to them, because the SP became a lot more empty because of it. Or at least it seems that way. He looked say more comfortable to me in the other 3 performances, but that could also be because he's more focused on the jumps this time.

Nevertheless he's always a pleasure to watch, and his jumps, always gorgeous.

His LP has really, really grown though. Fantastic practice run. I'm really looking forward to tomorrow 😀

1111bm

Final Flight
Wow, first impression: He was so energetic and on point. And quick! Whew... (also, I'm going skating in two hours and I'm slow as molasses as it is, but now I'm gonna feel even slower... 😪)

It also looked like he made sure his spins are faster (camel could still use more speed obv, but still, I think overall there definitely was more speed in all positions).

One thing I really, really appreciated, was the fact that he finished all of his spins on time. That's one thing that has bothered be so much in this SP, but also in La Boheme. He'd always mess up the timing of whatever moves, choreo or final pose that came afterwards and it had such a rushed feeling.
Now let's see if he finishes that one spin before the step sequence in his FS on time too. ;)

One thing I didn't like: He was too fast after the 'missing clap' moment in his step sequence, so that waltz jump didn't end up on those guitar strokes. :(

Interestingly, the costume is exactly what I envisioned for him, black colour and all (albeit a bit more tight-fitting). ;P

Maybe he took it out because of complaints of it being too Spanish? The new choreo feels more Mexican.

That's actually what I suspected as well (but I don't have any knowledge of dance styles to confirm).
I don't mind the missing clap, I like both versions either way.

Last edited:

1111bm

Final Flight
I'm not sure I love the changes at all. The original has way more little nuances and flairs that matched the music much better.

Hopefully it's because the changes are new and he's still getting used to them, because the SP became a lot more empty because of it.

I disagree, in the ISP or JO videos he looked like he was still trying to find himself and a bit more tentative. Now the moves looked more precise and intentional.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nathan's programs already seem polished and competition ready. I wonder if anyone would be able to talk him into a beautiful costume -- maybe something with the simplicity of a Mathieu Caron. It would show off his lines and Shae's great choreo so much better. It was great to see him having fun out there tonight, even if it was only on a computer screen.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

lurkz2

On the Ice
It's fantastic! I agree with Arriba I would like to see this program and skating in a great costume. Not too ornate if he doesn't like it but a little bit more spanish.. But I know Antonio Banderas wore same clothes in the movie.
Now that I've seen it in high definition the costume somehow seems more acceptable, Antonio Banderas didn't look too polished either. Maybe Nathan just needs a belt like Antonio? I was a bit distracted by the pant loops flapping around (I think those are the ones he attaches to his loose shirts?).

The one thing I'm glad he didn't go for is the long unkempt hair hehehe.

1111bm

Final Flight
So, do we think his mom made the jacket? 😋🤭

The one thing I'm glad he didn't go for is the long unkempt hair hehehe.

God yes, that would be so bad, if he went back to that slicked back hair again, with tons of pomade/wax... :drama:🙈

sheetz

Record Breaker
Made a few mistakes in run thru but you could tell he was holding back a bit what with the short turnaround and competition only 3 hrs away. Nobody else did great and in fact can't even remember anyone else landing a clean quad during their practice run thru.

discode

Final Flight
Wasn't his best performance, but still a big win. Not too shocked he popped the 3A, but his 4S has been so good lately.

fierysky

Rinkside
Popped jumps aside, Nathan is really bringing it artistically. He's grown sooo much. There's so many little details, just wow. At this point if you don't see that you are just willfully ignoring it it on purpose. I'm so tired.

As for the shirt, I actually like it, but I wish he wear something more form fitting so we can see his wonderful lines and body. There's got to be some sort of stretchy material he could use right? Contortionist wear body suits all the time. 😆

1111bm

Final Flight
I think he was really having an off-day, given how relatively rough his practice went today. And he's always went through phases in the past where he popped certain jumps, so not that unusual, albeit frustrating.

What took me more by surprise was the mistake on his last spin. That one actually had me a bit concerned because to me this means he lost his focus, when usually he's so cool-headed and keeps it together, even when he makes mistakes.
(That being said, I always though the upright position with the leg-grab would work better at the end, instead of mid-program, because it's too powerful looking and too fast for the softening and slowing down music right before the step sequence)

And I already expected, that his choreo sequence would be too short and simple to garner top GOE, and it seems I was right (considering they were more than willing to throw all the points at him). Those are 'easy' to get 1-1.5 points more he could achieve there.

Ella5555

On the Ice
I love both his SP and FS. Though he popped a couple of jumps, he was just beautiful to watch. As for his costumes this year, they’re great in my book. I prefer the simpler style. I also think it may be good to have a less than a perfect performance at this stage. It may help relieve the pressure a bit. Good job under the circumstances - and now he’ll have plenty of time to work out any kinks.

Last edited:

1111bm

Final Flight
That reminds me, I was gonna say that I feel he should put the Axel in place of the triple Loop, because even in the ISP performances the landings were shaky. I think it's too late in the program to put his problem jump there, as his last jumping pass. Then again, he himself said that it helps him to not overthink the Axel, because he's so tired at that stage, so who knows...