Nathan Chen | Page 1021 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

luckyu2

On the Ice
First impression: the FS music is right up his alley and has the depth to develop into something great. When I rewatched the run thru video I took, I discovered a few nice small bits that I missed on the spot (like georgia mentioned)
Jumps looked solid overall. Doubling 4S in the earlier practices isn’t new. He definitely took some time to get himself more comfortable with 4lo. Needed more flow with the landing.
On a side note, I went with families who saw Nathan the first time live today. They were amazed at how handsome he looked in person and said NBC doesn’t do him justice lol

georgia

On the Ice
First impression: the FS music is right up his alley and has the depth to develop into something great. When I rewatched the run thru video I took, I discovered a few nice small bits that I missed on the spot (like georgia mentioned)
Jumps looked solid overall. Doubling 4S in the earlier practices isn’t new. He definitely took some time to get himself more comfortable with 4lo. Needed more flow with the landing.
On a side note, I went with families who saw Nathan the first time live today. They were amazed at how handsome he looked in person and said NBC doesn’t do him justice lol
Very handsome! As he was passing by me I complimented him on his program, and he turned around ,smiled and thanked me.

Last edited:

sheetz

Record Breaker
Very annoyed with Nathan for going for not doing a warm up event prior to this. I did kind of expect something like this to happen. Well, hope he learns from this experience. Also, there's no need to go for such a difficult layout in the SP when the scoring differential is so minute.

SaDa

On the Ice
I'm shook...and still trying to shake that feeling off. He didn't really look like he was present ☹️
Was not expecting that at all. I don't know how I feel about that Clementine SP because it's just so slow and depressing(until the StSq). I wonder if he needs a more upbeat SP to get his energy flowing?

...and why would he not do a warm-up event? Isn't that unusual?

Last edited:

luckyu2

On the Ice
Still in shock. I can tell he was nervous the moment stepping on the ice. Also a few hard falls in the lutz corner got me worried but I expected he pulled off the combo...oh well not today. His 4flip from noon practice didn’t look as good as yesterday. I don’t think it was necessarily a bad thing to experience issues this early in the season. Just hope he can recover himself mentally quick enough since he’s doing back to back GPs.

Dogo

On the Ice
He's known from coming back after these things guys. Don't be so discouraged. By now he's used to not do warm up events since he entered Yale. Which is a big privilege (given his crazy talent) that few skaters dare to not do. Even if he misses jump timings tomorrow (or next week during Skate Canada), I wouldn't be too concerned. Before the pandemic he used to go with an easier content for his first GP competitions. It's likely that "being this his first comp+knowing that other top skaters were bringing top jump content+some extra pressure from NBC constantly saying he's undefeated" played some games with his attention/focus.

I'm happy he's not injured and I know he will bring the house down eventually during the season. He is a one in a generation masterful beast skater disguised as a cool and chill human guy.

casualFSfan

Rinkside
That was shocking 😰 but Nathan’s been in this position before- bad SP but comes back strong in the free.

He is coming off a high from a perfect free skate at worlds. He’s been undefeated since the last Olympics. This time, he is the heavy favorite. I can’t imagine the pressure. Better to get out the nerves now.

He seemed to perform best when he was studying. Now that the olympics are a few months away, it’s become the main focus. Hope he finds that magical balance again.

Deep breath Nathan fans!

sheetz

Record Breaker
He's known from coming back after these things guys. Don't be so discouraged. By now he's used to not do warm up events since he entered Yale. Which is a big privilege (given his crazy talent) that few skaters dare to not do. Even if he misses jump timings tomorrow (or next week during Skate Canada), I wouldn't be too concerned. Before the pandemic he used to go with an easier content for his first GP competitions. It's likely that "being this his first comp+knowing that other top skaters were bringing top jump content+some extra pressure from NBC constantly saying he's undefeated" played some games with his attention/focus.

I'm happy he's not injured and I know he will bring the house down eventually during the season. He is a one in a generation masterful beast skater disguised as a cool and chill human guy.
But he's always done at least JO, which helps to get used to performing in competition. And with this year he's hardly had any opportunity to skate in front of the public. I just feel this should have been foreseen.

TBH, he really needs to ditch the 4Lo. The success rate is too low and this is a high pressure season. He needs to know his limitations. He had the exact same problem four years ago and it's disappointing he hasn't learned from those mistakes.

Dogo

On the Ice
But he's always done at least JO, which helps to get used to performing in competition. And with this year he's hardly had any opportunity to skate in front of the public. I just feel this should have been foreseen.

TBH, he really needs to ditch the 4Lo. The success rate is too low and this is a high pressure season. He needs to know his limitations. He had the exact same problem four years ago and it's disappointing he hasn't learned from those mistakes.
Just my perspective, but I think it's a bit unfair to say he hasn't learned from those mistakes after all the unbelievable things he has kept pulling during these four long years (if not more). He probably knows what happened today and should know his limitations by now. If he wants to try the Loop, I'd say why not?, as long as his success rate has been high (plus, so far he does not have issues with falling in a sort of safe way). I don't necessarily want him to win here at SA or at Skate Canada. I want him to get a lot of experience and destroy things at the GPF, Nationals, and next year.

I would give him more credit for knowing the timing of when it matters to push himself after what he pulled during Worlds' last year.

Ella5555

On the Ice
I haven’t watched it yet, but I had a feeling this might happen. I agree that he should have done a warmup event - especially since most of his competitors had done so. All the articles out there about him, and this being his redemptive year - plus journalists keep asking him about 2018 - not helpful. This will only feed into that narrative. Don’t think I can read what they’re writing now. Nathan must be sorely disappointed, but he has pulled it together before. Hope he can do it again this time. Even if he doesn’t win, I wish for a good free skate. Good luck tomorrow, Nathan.

sheetz

Record Breaker
Just my perspective, but I think it's a bit unfair to say he hasn't learned from those mistakes after all the unbelievable things he has kept pulling during these four long years (if not more). He probably knows what happened today and should know his limitations by now. If he wants to try the Loop, I'd say why not?, as long as his success rate has been high (plus, so far he does not have issues with falling in a sort of safe way). I don't necessarily want him to win here at SA or at Skate Canada. I want him to get a lot of experience and destroy things at the GPF, Nationals, and next year.

I would give him more credit for knowing the timing of when it matters to push himself after what he pulled during Worlds' last year.
His success rate for 4Lo has been very low, and the ones he does land are of poor quality. In addition by adding in the 4Lo he has to take out the 4Lz because he doesn't have the stamina to complete a 6 quad program at this time. It's just an all around poor decision during an Olympic season.

lurkz2

On the Ice
I seem to recall him landing the 4Lo every time he attempts it in competition? I can understand Nathan wanting to progress technically.