New Fan Fest Threads - Please Adopt an Orphan? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

New Fan Fest Threads - Please Adopt an Orphan?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Thanks for all you do!

I will try to start a thread for Sonia, although I am a bit up to my eyeballs right now.

Aw, Doris! I wasn't dropping hints for you to do it. I was just putting it out there in the hope that some of the other members would volunteer.

You are going above and beyond the call of duty as it is doing all these updates. It wouldn't be fair to heap even more onto your plate.

I would feel so guilty if you were to take this on on top of everything else you are doing. So, if nobody else wants to do her, I will.

CaroLiza_fan

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
:eek::

Thank you!

Remember, it is not necessary to do as complete and lovely a job as you did for Anna O.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Hopefully, I'll find some time to do Boyang's thread this weekend :)

shiroKJ

Record Breaker
I updated Boyang's OP the best I could. Google translate could only get me so far :drama:

shiroKJ

Record Breaker
:shocked: I'm working on Florent's OP and his programs/music.....lol......:drama:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
:eek::

Thank you!

Remember, it is not necessary to do as complete and lovely a job as you did for Anna O.

Phew! Thank goodness for that. I was worried that I had set the bar too high when I did Anna's Fan Fest. Let's face it, because I'm friends with her, there are things I know about Anna that I wouldn't know about other skaters.

Anyway, just to let you know that I have started the Fan Fest thread I promised for Sonia Lafuente.

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?55491

And even when I was making out that initial draft, I was finding out things that I never knew about Sonia. Like, the fact that she is not from mainland Spain, but rather is from one of the Canary Islands (Gran Canaria, to be precise). Which would explain why she was not at the 2006 Andorran Championships with all the other current top Spanish skaters. I also found results for her going right back to 2003!!!

Since Sonia has had a much longer career than I thought, it is taking me longer than expected to bring everything together. So, I have decided to post this initial draft of her Fan Fest now. But don’t worry, I will update it in stages over the next few weeks with results, videos, and other links. ;) :biggrin:

Until then, I hope you like what I have done so far.

CaroLiza_fan

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Finding out new things is one of the fun things about doing these Fan Fest OPs.

I had never noticed that Anna Yanovskaya was born in the United Arab Emirates. I hope she will be the Good Will person some time for the UAE championships, which is also an ISU event. It would be so appropriate!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
On a different note, can I please let it be known that I would like to adopt Jenna McCorkell. She is from my patch, after all. ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

And, although it took over a month (I wanted to get my other Fan Fests completed first), I have now started the thread for Northern Ireland's most successful figure skater. :cheer:

But, I came across a problem.

As you know, Jenna had a VERY long career. So long that she competed under the 6.0 System.

I only started watching figure skating during the transition period. And I didn't pay attention to the scores back then. Consequently, I don't understand the 6.0 System. Well, I understand that each of the Judges give you marks out of 6. But, how are the positions worked out?

Is it by adding all the scores up?
Is it by working out the mean of the scores?
Is it by taking the modal score?
Is it by taking the median score?
Is it by removing the highest and lowest scores and then adding up the rest?
Is it by removing the highest and lowest scores and then working out the mean of the rest?
Is it by removing the highest and lowest scores and then taking the modal score?
Is it by removing the highest and lowest scores and then taking the median score?

As you can see, for somebody who doesn't know, there are a lot of options available. And those are only the options I can think of off the top of my head.

And, unfortunately, it is not clear on the Wikipedia page on the 6.0 System or the results tables.

I see from the results tables that there is a Points column. These seem to be set values based on the positions that the skaters finished in – the Points increase by a set increment as you go down the table. The increments are bigger for the Free than the Short, but do not seem to be the same values at every competition.

For example, at the 2002 Junior World Championship, the Points for the SP went up by 0.6 as you went down the table, while the Points for the FS went up by 1.0.

Yet at every other competition Jenna competed in that season (e.g. the 2001 Trofeo Rita Trapanese), the Points for the SP went up by 0.5 as you went down the table, while the Points for the FS went up by 1.0.

And at the 2003 Junior Worlds, although the Points increased by the same increments in the SP and the FS as the previous year, the points for the Qualifying Round increased by only 0.4 as you went down the table.

So, I'm completely lost! :confused:

Since I don't understand how all this works, I have decided to just put the Points values into my table for competitions that used 6.0. For the simple reason that, as you read across the row, it is obvious that to get the Total Points, you add together the other Points values (Short and Free; or Qualifying, Short and Free)! :agree:

Hopefully that will turn out to be the right decision...

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Just saying, but I think I would use placing in short. Long, and final placing. Some years the qualifying rounds counted for points, some not. And way back, no qualifying rounds were used. What does tracings do with it?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just saying, but I think I would use placing in short. Long, and final placing. Some years the qualifying rounds counted for points, some not. And way back, no qualifying rounds were used. What does tracings do with it?

They just have the positions. But, that is the case for all competitions before the 2004/05 season, whether they used 6.0 or IJS.

With the amount of work Melanie has put into putting all the results for the past decade onto the site, I don't begrudge her at all for not going into details for earlier competitions. Especially when many are not easy to get a hold of.

After all, when some competitions have been going for over 100 years, you have to draw the line somewhere!

For my table, I have put the Positions in their column as normal, and have put these strange "Points" in the "Score" column.

With the way I have laid out my tables, it just looked very strange when, all of a sudden, the 3 "Score" columns went empty. So, I wanted something to put in them, and felt this was the best option.

And, it turned out to be a very graphic way of showing how some competitions adopted the IJS early on, and others were more gradual to make the switch.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I updated the OP from the ISU's GP rosters. There are quite a few skaters that I didn't have on the adoption list.