Record Breaker
Stop tempting the skate gods!

on that note--

1. Caroline Zhang
2. Amelie Lacoste
3. Bettina Heim

Mirunna

Record Breaker
My dream podium is Mao(gold), Caro(silver) and Akiko(bronze). All three ladies have inspiring stories(especially Akiko!) and I would love to see them on the world podium. Just imagine Mao's smile on the podium, that would be something truly special

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Sotnikova was 15 on July 1st, which technically makes her eligible to skate at Worlds.

Nope, because she was born ON July 1st. At apparently around 5:00 AM. So she was born just about 5 hours too late for this year's senior Worlds because you have to be 15 before July 1st. Or she would have been on the JGP circuit two year ago rather than just one.

Do you think there any chance that the powers that be will make an exception for her? This is ridiculous and will quickly become more so if she starts medalling on the GP circuit.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Do you think there any chance that the powers that be will make an exception for her? This is ridiculous and will quickly become more so if she starts medalling on the GP circuit.

Nope, because they could have done so back when she was already demonstrating skill - when she won the National Championship at the Senior level at 12 and still couldn't go to JW that season or JGP the next season.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker

I know, it sucks. But they wouldn't make an exception for Mao for the 2006 Olympics and she had WON the GPF...

As for the topic of the question, I could say contenders are definitely Kostner, Asada, Suzuki, with maybe Makarova/Leonova/Murakami/whichever Americans/etc as possibilities.

jatale

On the Ice
If Agnes skates on all cylinders she could be a medal contender - go Agnes! I really hope Akiko medals at worlds (Gold would be nice) and shows that age and maturity are not obsolete in ladies figure skating. Really, what is it about ladies figure skating (and ladies Gymnastics) where little girls are the champions? It really is getting ridiculous IMO.

gmyers

Record Breaker
If they can keep it up all season long it looks good for Kostner Vs. Czisny. Leonova almost beat Kostner in Moscow very deservedly. Her witches of Eastwick was the best. Her dramatic FS this season looks like it can be great but she needs all the jumps and not double anything like she did in Moscow worlds or miss her double axels like she did in Canada. I want Mao to be good again. Mao would be a 3 time world champ and that would be impressive. Suziki has been very strong on the GP but does tend to fade late in the season. With Mao iffy and Murakami not being so consistent she has her best chance to win Japanese Nationals. Nagasu has already won a SP at worlds. Her PCS went way down in Skate Canada but her jumps except one were all rotated.

JDLutz

Rinkside
I would love it if Akiko would dethrone Masha B. as the oldest ladies champion ever :biggrin:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
It is pretty wide open this year. Has it been confirmed Ando is out of Worlds this year. Granted based on her skating at the Japan Open I doubt it would matter much anyway. We havent even seen Asada yet.

I agree it looks good for Kostner or Czisny to win this year. I am expecting them to gold and silver in some order at Worlds. I doubt Maos recovery but we will see. Wow has the field ever gotten weak in the ladies event. The Russians becoming age eligible for major events, Nagasu and Asada getting it together/together again (if they ever do), or Kims return to glory, cant come soon enough.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I know, it sucks. But they wouldn't make an exception for Mao for the 2006 Olympics and she had WON the GPF...

I had read that the USFSA tried to get an exception for Caroline when she made the 2007 GP Final. They were worried about the 2008 Worlds. But the ISU would have none of that.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It is pretty wide open this year. Has it been confirmed Ando is out of Worlds this year. Granted based on her skating at the Japan Open I doubt it would matter much anyway. We havent even seen Asada yet.

I agree it looks good for Kostner or Czisny to win this year. I am expecting them to gold and silver in some order at Worlds. I doubt Maos recovery but we will see. Wow has the field ever gotten weak in the ladies event. The Russians becoming age eligible for major events, Nagasu and Asada getting it together/together again (if they ever do), or Kims return to glory, cant come soon enough.
Yeah i agree that the ladies event is looking weak at the moment. To many holdovers from not just the last Olympics but from Torino too. I mean Kostner and Czisny have been skating as Seniors since around 2003 for instance and you got Mao also. The new kids can't get here soon enough. The same goes for the US too. Alissa being the best the US has going into Sochi doesn't bode well.

Last edited:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Yeah i agree that the ladies event is looking weak at the moment. To many holdovers from not just the last Olympics but from Torino too. I mean Kostner and Czisny have been skating as Seniors since around 2003 for instance and you got Mao also. The new kids can't get here soon enough. The same goes for the US too. Alissa being the best the US has going into Sochi doesn't bode well.

Well, the new kids just have to step it up.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Problem is the new kids won't even be eligible for Worlds until a year before Sochi. I think that's why the field looks so weak now. Usually by the mid point of the next Olympics we have the new kids skating at Worlds and giving some new life to the women's field. For instance the year after Torino Kim and Mao were at Worlds and it made the Ladies event much stronger and deeper. Looking at Worlds next year and it will be Kostner and Czisny as the favorites and perhaps Akiko too. All them will be about 25 or older. Yes they skate like ladies and not little girls but where will they be in 2014? Hopefully it won't just be the Russian girls either the US and Japan will have young girls coming up too.