Olympics Results You Disagreed With | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Olympics Results You Disagreed With

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Actually, that's a question... how many times are you allowed to fall before people want to take your medal away and give it to a lesser performance?

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Come, come, I thought this thread was about results at the Olympics you don't agree with. Not about disparaging skaters. As I stated in another thread, I didn't agree in 2002 with the second set of gold medals for S/P because of the cheated judging in the LP which should have (in my view) led to the SP being the determinant factor (and B/S had a wonderful SP). Does that mean I think either S/P or B/S had bad skates. Definitely not. Personally, I had B/S in first anyway, but of course the cheating in the LP judging had to be resolved and the choice was made to hand out additional gold medals. Which seemed unfair to the Chinese who got Bronze. They should have gotten a silver, and there shouldn't have been a bronze. But I suppose that's a minority opinion. And that's okay.

In 2014 Yuzu had a great SP, and a not so good LP. Patrick had a not so good SP, and if had skated a terrific LP, he would have won. But he didn't. His LP was okay, so Yuzu won. Deservedly. It may not have been the best Olympic event ever, and I was rooting for Javi (who got no medal at all there because Denis skated a brilliant LP), but I wouldn't say the end results were wrong.

I would have wished S/S win the Pairs event in 2014, but their skates just weren't good enough. It was fair that V/T won, although S/K's FS was better (all in my view, and I'm not a judge).

And as for Yuna and Adelina in the same year...we've all discussed that many times. Adelina won deservedly (in my view), but the difference in points was too great. It should have been less than a point, and it was much more. Again, personally I would have liked Carolina to win (I just adore her Bolero skate) but it wasn't good enough. I think the judges judged it better than I did (and that's why they are judges, and I am just a fan).

Wrong results? What about Tatiana Navka and Roman Kostamarov in 2006? Boring skates (although they were good skaters)! I would had had Tanith and Benjamin First. But then, I would have had Angelica and Oleg first in 1998...and have Shea Lynne and Victor get at least one Olympic medal (if not a Gold). Why? Because they were such fun to watch. And having superb footwork too.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Actually, that's a question... how many times are you allowed to fall before people want to take your medal away and give it to a lesser performance?

Like a general question or just for the ones who think it should be the case?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

I certainly don't think anyone who falls four times should be winning a gold at any competition, even at their home event...and someone who was visibly injured enough to fall five times should simply never have been allowed to skate, let alone win the silver.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Well, it wasn't the Olympics, but TallyT also did not specify an Olympic medal.

Given that it's an Olympic results thread, I don't particularly care what bone you have to pick with each other :) somehow, I think TallyT understands context and thread titles though.

Please add an Olympic result you took an issue with. I'd love to know. You haven't done that yet. Maybe one where a little country skater was robbed?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Please add an Olympic result you took an issue with. I'd love to know. You haven't done that yet. Maybe one where a little country skater was robbed?

I take issue with Dominina/Shabalin winning bronze in 2010. That racist abomination should never have been anywhere near an Olympic podium.

And Katia and Harley were robbed of an Olympic free skate in 2018.

lesnar001

Record Breaker
I don't think it was a "wrong" result in the sense of some of the controversial decisions listed in this thread....

But for me, I thought Mishkutenok & Dmitriev should have won Gold in 1994.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Well, it wasn't the Olympics, but TallyT also did not specify an Olympic medal.

Disingenuous, surely? But I will comply.

How many times at the Olympics as stated are you allowed to fall before people want to take your medal away and give it to a lesser performance?

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
How many times at the Olympics as stated are you allowed to fall before people want to take your medal away and give it to a lesser performance?

One time less than the next person, as in any other competition, surely.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Yuzuru fell twice, but was otherwise superior to Patrick and the rest of the 2014 field. Dick Button fell - once - in 1952 and I don't actually know but I doubt all of his opponents did as well, and he was also otherwise superior. That's our two living male 2xOGMs, of course.

It does strike me as rather ironic that people on the one hand insist that it isn't a jumping competition, and on the other.... yes it is.

NadezhdaNadya

Final Flight
If reputation is so important in this sport how could Sotnikova win? She has had never won any World title, any GPF title, any GP title, only a B event title. So how it is possible?
Edit: She has had not even medaled at Worlds or GPF. Only at GP events.
Unlike Sarah Hughes who medaled at Worlds and GPF. And won a GP event.

Skatesocs

Final Flight

That's... Not really a thing. Or maybe you think Lysacek should have won Vancouver too, IDK.

I don't think it was a "wrong" result in the sense of some of the controversial decisions listed in this thread....

But for me, I thought Mishkutenok & Dmitriev should have won Gold in 1994.

I would love to see a debate on this though!

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yuzuru fell twice, but was otherwise superior to Patrick and the rest of the 2014 field. Dick Button fell - once - in 1952 and I don't actually know but I doubt all of his opponents did as well, and he was also otherwise superior. That's our two living male 2xOGMs, of course

It does strike me as rather ironic that people on the one hand insist that it isn't a jumping competition, and on the other.... yes it is.

I was being a bit sarcastic, but my point overall was: the Olympics is no different from any other competition. The gold medal goes to - to put it as bluntly as possible - the person who does the least worst across the two phases of competition. It's not the Hugos. The judges can't decide to go with "No Award" because they think even the best performer made too many mistakes to be worthy of a gold medal. So it's a pointless question. The person who makes the fewest mistakes wins, whether those mistakes are falls on jumps, key points in patterns, levels in spins or breaks in interpretation. If one person makes five mistakes and the next worst makes six of comparable magnitude, the person who makes five wins. Simple as.

Or maybe you think Lysacek should have won Vancouver too, IDK.

He skated least worst on the night in terms of errors made. Therefore, yes, I agree with his being awarded the gold medal even though I don't find his skating particularly enjoyable.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
He skated least worst on the night in terms of errors made. Therefore, yes, I agree with his being awarded the gold medal even though I don't find his skating particularly enjoyable.

Have to agree... on both points.

Skatesocs

Final Flight

What does an error mean? I found Lysacek's choreography to be a pretty huge error. It's just not how skating is judged. And I don't see how he made fewer errors than Plushenko anyway.

Have to agree... on both points.

Oh, OK. But you take an issue with someone saying Hanyu with two falls shouldn't have won. Anyway.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh, OK. But you take an issue with someone saying Hanyu with two falls shouldn't have won. Anyway.

Falls aren't of course the only errors, nor the only ones that count.

ps - dullness should be in itself an error, but one left to the judges discretion for obvious reasons...

Skatesocs

Final Flight
No the point is someone says Hanyu shouldn't have won because of two huge errors but the rest of us argue he should've because he still skated well enough. Even you said people don't want it to be about jumps. But there's no credibility I can assign your argument when you suddenly say Lysacek's overall skating just didn't matter - since there's no consistency there. So I'll leave the debate to get to someone who has a bit of consistency. At least Harriet has it.

Elspeth

Rinkside
What does an error mean? I found Lysacek's choreography to be a pretty huge error. It's just not how skating is judged. And I don't see how he made fewer errors Plushenko anyway.

It's not that bit that TallyT is taking issue with, but the fact that nobody else skated better on the night. The argument that someone who falls twice shouldn't win an Olympic medal doesn't make sense, because the difficulty of the program is relevant. If everyone else had gone clean but had only performed doubles, whilst Hanyu did two quads and five triples, I don't think number two should have won merely by staying on their feet.

That is the problem with this particular win for me. Patrick did not skate well. Hanyu's second fall is virtually no different from one of Patrick's mistakes; both of them put two hands down, Hanyu got a fall deduction and Patrick did not. Hanyu fell on another jump, but his lead from the short program coming into the free was worth about exactly one fall. So negating that, Patrick made one more mistake than Hanyu, and he ended up in second place. If Patrick would have skated a near clean free program and lost to Hanyu that would be worthy of outrage. He didn't though.

The debate on this one should really be whether Hanyu should have been able to win with two falls, which has to do with the scoring system and not with the result. The free skate at Sochi was a mess, which is partly why Denis Ten managed to climb all the up the bronze medal from being lower down after the short.

Also, off-topic, but thanks Harriet for being a nerd and making a reference to the Hugo's.