Olympics Results You Disagreed With | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Olympics Results You Disagreed With

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
I disagree with the US Olympic Team for 2014. Mirai Nagasu is a 3 time Olympian in my eyes.

IMO the 2014 team should’ve been Gold, Nagasu, Wagner, but Polina’s 2nd and Ash’s 4th put USFS in a tough spot.

I think Ashley deserved a spot on the 2018 team moreso than she did in 2014, KChen was over scored at Nats and Ashley beat her twice in the Grand Prix Circuit (which was part of the criteria for the Olympic team. Even tho KChen beat Ash at 2017 Nats and Worlds, Ash was the 2016 World Silver Medalist. I would’ve given Ash the Olympic spot but sent Karen to 4cc and Worlds over Ashley.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well we may be opening up old wounds but the talk her makes me re examine 2002. In ladies I actually think there is no issue Sarah won the LP But I would have had Slutskaya winning the SP and second in the LP which following the communication here means Slutskaya would have won gold. I admit Sarah skated beautifully but she is no Kwan or Baiul still the triple triples were wow. Thugh not sure about goes in todays system. Still that was the system back then. I think Michelle may have bene a bit tied hence the lack of freshness as one judge said. I wonder if Gabby and Guillaume will face the same because like Kwan they are amazing skaters but their programs at least fs tend to look the same. I appreciate that Sarah at least was clean or relatively clean unlike Yamaguchi but you are scored against your competitiors at the time.

In pairs, I forgot about 1994 pairs and yes, since it was 6.0 system it was possible the artistry could allow B/S to win over SP. Remember G and G had minor errors like BS but the better program/artistry which is the tie breaker. Its not like they were horrible

People talk about deserving winners. Well deserving is loaded word - we talk about usually on the day of competition. But if you look at a body of work probably Kwan, Browning, Orser and Stojko deserved Oly gold. But life or olympics can be cruel.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I was reading some of the posts and rewatched the 2014 olympic skates. I would add that there is good argument to put chan ahead of Yuzuru. I appreciate there are a lot more Hanyu fans but I definitely could see how the judges could have had Chan higher. But life goes on. Hanyu will continue to be a superstar and Chan will become a real estate agent who does pottery with his girlfriend and maybe teach skating on the side.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
To be honest the only time I side eyed an Olympic result was the Pairs at Salt Lake, I truly believe Elena and Anton deserved to win outright, they were stunning. Also the commentators outright favouritism of P/S and them going on how the "Totally deserved it, no-one could think otherwise" made me go "What were you guys watching?"

I can't possibly judge this event, I really have a lack of investment in some of these people. But I actually did watch again, and I would place B/S behind just for his awful imitation of a goldfish.

I do think Ina/Zimmermann should have been ahead of S/Z though. But those two teams are the only ones I even got anything out of, completely as matter of preference.

Gia_Sesshoumaru

On the Ice
Country
United-States
2010 - I did not think Lysacek should have won without Quads. I remember thinking at the time that it should have been Plushenko, Takahashi and then Lysacek, but I have not rewatched it.

2018 - Asada should have won the free skate.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
What does an error mean? I found Lysacek's choreography to be a pretty huge error. It's just not how skating is judged. And I don't see how he made fewer errors than Plushenko anyway.

Evan's mistakes were visible for the judges and expert.

From NYTimes "Lysacek received only a judges’ warning for a wrong-edged takeoff on his triple flip, not a 2- or 3-point deduction that would have changed the outcome, which was narrowly decided in his favor by 257.67 points to 256.36." Plus his prerotated 3As those weren't punished, too.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight

From NYTimes "Lysacek received only a judges’ warning for a wrong-edged takeoff on his triple flip, not a 2- or 3-point deduction that would have changed the outcome, which was narrowly decided in his favor by 257.67 points to 256.36." Plus his prerotated 3As those weren't punished, too.

Agree about the flip, but everybody prerotated axel to some extent (with double and triple axel). A number do 1/4, and many take off close to backwards**

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Agree about the flip, but everybody prerotated axel to some extent (with double and triple axel). A number do 1/4, and many take off close to backwards.

It is not possible to do less than 1/4. But Lysacek's was a special case that is unfortunately becoming more common.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
It is not possible to do less than 1/4. But Lysacek's was a special case that is unfortunately becoming more common.

I don't know how its taught elsewhere, but when I was first taught 2A I was told to skid as far round as possible (as close to backwards as possible). And then afterwards, skid less and less until skid less than 1/4. Then when start work on 3A go back to skidding round as far as possible for best chance at 3A. Anything less than 1/2 PT was considered successful jump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSwM7oj1_WY - This is Alexei Yagudin's 3A - considered one of the best, and I don't see it as more prerotated than Evan Lysacek when watching both in slow motion, so if it is an issue it has been around a long time.

Of course, the worst is when people don't prerotate on toe-pick, but go "round the corner" and stay on their edge for a long time.

readernick

Medalist

To me the whole Lysacek vs Plushenko argument is inconsequential. Having recently gone back and watched the entire 2010 men's competition, I found both of their skates to be dull. It is true that Lysacek had rather bad technique on several of his jumps, but at the same time, Plushenko's jumps were definitely not at their best during that competition either. IMHO almost all of his jumps deserved neutral or negative GOE and he fell which was heavily penalized at the time. I did not find either skater to be superior or inferior to the other. ( in this competition... obviously, Plushenko is a legend for what he accomplished throughout his career)

The one who was really robbed was Daisuke Takahashi (as several other posters have mentioned). I feel that he was the first male skater to really put together great musicality, quads, good choreography, and good skating skills in the IJS era. I would willingly rewatch his performances in 2010 again and again. They were masterpieces. I can't say that that I would ever go back and willingly watch Lysacek or Plushenko's 2010 skates again.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
To me the whole Lysacek vs Plushenko argument is inconsequential. Having recently gone back and watched the entire 2010 men's competition, I found both of their skates to be dull. It is true that Lysacek had rather bad technique on several of his jumps, but at the same time, Plushenko's jumps were definitely not at their best during that competition either. IMHO almost all of his jumps deserved neutral or negative GOE and he fell which was heavily penalized at the time. I did not find either skater to be superior or inferior to the other. ( in this competition... obviously, Plushenko is a legend for what he accomplished throughout his career)

The one who was really robbed was Daisuke Takahashi (as several other skaters have mentioned). I feel that he was the first male skater to really but together great musicality, quads, good choreography,
and good skating skills in the IJS era. I would willingly rewatch his performances in 2010 again and again. They were masterpieces. I can't say that that I would ever go back and willingly watch Lysacek or Plushenko's 2010 skates again.

Agree (although Evan had good lutz technique for me).
The thing that bugged me most about Lysacek was his posture. It blocked me from ever enjoying him as a skater (Like Artur Dmitriev Jr).

If Evgeni Plushenko did his team event 2014 FS Performance without the popped doubles, I'd have put him 10000X above Lysacek, but I wasn't fond of their performances on the night compared to Takahashi or Weir.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Agree (although Evan had good lutz technique for me).
The thing that bugged me most about Lysacek was his posture. It blocked me from ever enjoying him as a skater (Like Artur Dmitriev Jr).

If Evgeni Plushenko did his team event 2014 FS Performance without the popped doubles, I'd have put him 10000X above Lysacek, but I wasn't fond of their performances on the night compared to Takahashi or Weir.

Nothing about Lysacek's skating was particularly great, the posture, the jumps often looked under, the spins he benefited a lot from the old rules which allowed skaters to spam the same variations on all spins. Much like Sotnikova, those two results in 2010 and 2014 deserved the controversy and the drama in my opinion cause it's still a bit hard to understand how they won.

In 2002 and 2006 as posted somewhere else i think Fumie Suguri deserved better marks, and medalled at possibly both Olympics cause she was clean and skated really well in both events better than Irina, Sasha, Kwan who fell, even twice.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I also don't see Lysacek's Lutz as anything special, but eh, I'll refrain from turning this into something other than what it's meant to be.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I disagree with the US Olympic Team for 2014. Mirai Nagasu is a 3 time Olympian in my eyes.

Nope. USFS dug their own hole when they assigned a marshmallow tech panel. If they had assigned a stricter panel, Nagasu would have finished much lower, and it wouldn't have even been an argument.

As for the 3S that Lysacek had masquerading as a 3A...well.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I have nearly always agreed with the judges with just a few exceptions. These are the ones that come into my mind this moment:

- 2002 Hughes was way too high after the sp and that means = Slutskaya should have won the gold
- 2010 Takahashi should have won the sp, but that does not alter the final results, IMO
- 2014 Kim should have won
- 2018 Fernandez should have gotten the silver medal

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

The one who was really robbed was Daisuke Takahashi (as several other skaters have mentioned). I feel that he was the first male skater to really put together great musicality, quads, good choreography, and good skating skills in the IJS era. I would willingly rewatch his performances in 2010 again and again. They were masterpieces. I can't say that that I would ever go back and willingly watch Lysacek or Plushenko's 2010 skates again.

Plushenko didn't fall. :no: You remember wrongly. Daisuke fell in his LP in 4T. I'm over on this result too, but the thread is about it. There were mention many other questionable results and most of those arguments is inconsequential for me.;)

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Plushenko didn't fall. :no: You remember wrongly. Daisuke fell in his LP in 4T. I'm over on this result too, but the thread is about it. There were mention many other questionable results and most of those arguments is inconsequential for me.;)

I think that we should do something on skating scores where we remark each of the top 6-8 skaters in the 2010 Olympics, give GEO element by element, and PCS category by Category - and then see what the results would be. It would be quite interesting