Only one program and one competition day format for FS? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Only one program and one competition day format for FS?

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Talking about Ice Dance, this discipline objectively demands division between pattern dance steps and creative free steps and elements since one can't do both at the same time. Even though it is possible to include both in a single program, it is still a good question if this is the best solution artistically.

I agree that CD had become rather formal and monotonous by time when it was cancelled. However, I also agree that ISU could have salvaged this discipline if they wanted to. Instead, the issues that plagued CD (overused music choices, artistic cliches) were simply transferred to RD. What's a tango? There can be a sad tango, a mad tango, a happy tango, a parody tango, a philosophic tango etc. plus breakdown by the era and geography. It can all be shown by costumes, by the way how the partner is invited to dance, by emotional involvement. But no, in RD you necessarily need fake passion, monochrome clothing, red flower in girls hair, and badly remixed Piazzolla music. If not, judges will not recognize it as a tango... or what's your other excuse?
So, we still have the problems inherited from CD plus we have lost a chance that, by a little help from a good commentator, a random viewer who tuned in to take look at fancy dresses may end up recognizing the dance pattern after occasionally having seen it 20 times in a row.
Doesn't make a good balance to me.

Zora

On the Ice
Another idea: keep the short program as it is as a technical program, maybe even 1 oder 2 more jumping passes (maybe the program needs to be longer or one spin less or a shorter step sequence), but in the free program a fall on any element means zero points, because it's the artistic program and it hurts the artistic impression. So in the technical program the skaters can go all in, but in the free program they have to be more careful in choosing their jump elements.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Terrible idea. Bring back figures instead. Make it 3 days.
I doubt that compulsory dances and figures will be brought back to ISU comps. The ISU is set on reducing length of competition events, not increasing. We have to look at old videos of the best CD performances. Torvill/Dean's Rock 'n Roll OSP is a classic!

For figures, we need to support the World Figure and Fancy Skating Championships