Pairs Free Skate - History in the making??? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Pairs Free Skate - History in the making???

hongligl

Final Flight
Yesterday, I read in some places (on the isu site for example) that vise/trent's quad wasn't the first one (!!!???????) I thought no one had done it before....

But today they corrected it... Am I the only one that read it ???? :scratch:

They said that zhang/zhang landed it at skate america 2005.
I couldn't find any videos of it on youtube.

what caused that mess ?

help. anyone ?

Another Chinese team landed a throw quad (Toeloop) at skat america 2005. I guess Zhang/Zhang are more famous than that pair so people thought that they did it. But Zhang/Zhang did land the 4Salth in competition with very high quality at 2005 Chinese National. In ISU competition, I guess Shen/Zhao was the first one that did 4Sal th at 2002 Olympic, and if under the COP rules it would be considered landed clean technically with perhas +GOE, and a deduction for a fall after landed the jump :). Sorry, don't mean to take away the glory of V/T, I liked their skating and great achievement for them to land the quad. Just a statement of fact regarding quad done in competitions.

sillylionlove

Medalist
If I remember correctly because I was there, Zhang and Zhang were the only Chinese pair team at Skate America in 2005

Fae

Rinkside
Wow! V/T's quad was beautifully executed.

This is a stupid question but it's been bugging me...is he supposed to be Enjolras? If so, who's she supposed to be?

hongligl

Final Flight
If I remember correctly because I was there, Zhang and Zhang were the only Chinese pair team at Skate America in 2005

Their names are Yang Ding/Zhenfei Tong, ranked 5th in LP. So you might not have paid attention to them.

Last edited:

skatingfan04

Final Flight
First of all congratz to Vist/Trent, their uad was beautiful. But I have one complaint: Thechnically, Miller/Moram landed it first. Yes it was not clean (she 2footed) but they were given full credit for the rotation and she didn't fall or flip off her edge. Yes, Vise /Trent landed the first clean throw quad, but Miller/Moram landed the first. That is, of course, providing that these were really the first teams to land it. I really don't mean to put down Vise/Trent at all, just to congratulate Miller/Moram as well.:rock:

astimegoesby

On the Ice
But I have one complaint: Thechnically, Miller/Moram landed it first. Yes it was not clean (she 2footed) but they were given full credit for the rotation and she didn't fall or flip off her edge.

And that's probably why Vise/Trent's quad throw was ratified while Miller/Moram's was not. That was the main reason why Kurt Browning's quad at 1988 Worlds was ratified while Brian Boitano's quad at the same competition was not--Kurt, despite a less-than-perfect landing, managed to land his quad on one foot while Brian two-footed his quad. Jozef Sabovcik also two-footed his closest quad attempt in competition a few years before, IIRC.

As for D&D, I agree they'll need to up their technical difficulty in order to challenge S&S and the Chinese teams for the world title, but considering how many injuries and accidents D&D have experienced over the past few years, I can't really blame them for erring on the side of caution. This is the first season D&D have been able to compete without a major injury, so I don't blame them if their main priority is skating clean and trying to stay injury and accident-free this year.

I hope D&D will up their technical difficulty and take more risks once their confidence improves. They've got some tough competition not only internationally, but in their own country, too. Not only with Miller/Moram's quad attempt, but with Langlois/Hay and Duhamel/Buntin, too.

I still wouldn't place Miller/Moram above the other three Canadian teams, but that quad could definitely help Miller/Moram make the World team if they land it and the other teams melt down. The pairs event at Canadians is definitely going to be exciting this year! :clap:

Congratulations to Vise/Trent for landing that quad throw and Miller/Moram for coming very close! :rock: :clap: :bow:

V&T are a work in progress. Not easy skating the mirror image Pairs.

Z&Z have not yet gotten out of the wooden style that they began with. But they do have wow moves to excite the circus crowd.

P&T are loosing it. I think it's the music. Roti's R&J is much too sugary for them. They should have tried Prokofiev.

Will Z&Z skate in NHK for a third practice session and knock out someone trying to get to the Finals?

As I recall, no one did that to P&T and Z&Z when they were fledging Pair teams.

Joe

Will Z&Z skate in NHK for a third practice session and knock out someone trying to get to the Finals?
They are not scheduled, even though they are eligible for a third event if they wanted one. Savchenko and Szolkowy do have NHK as their third event, though.

As for knocking someone out, that's kind of a two-edged sword. If S&S knock one team out, they will knock someone else in. Of the teams that are on the bubble, these extra teams in the mix can either hurt their chances (by beating them) or help their chances (by beating the other guys).
As I recall, no one did that to P&T and Z&Z when they were fledging Pair teams.
Actually, they did.

Zhang and Zhang won the Junior Grand Prix (for the second time) in 2002, and they also had some senior events that same season. Their first season as seniors was 2003-2004. In that season's Grand Prix, five teams skated an extra non-scoring event, Pang and Tong, Petrova and Tikhonov, Langois and Archetta, Zagorska and Siudek, and Totmiania and Marinen (Zhen and Zhao were also eligible for a third event, but only skated in two.)

So I guess it's, what goes around, comes around.

They are not scheduled, even though they are eligible for a third event if they wanted one. Savchenko and Szolkowy do have NHK as their third event, though.

As for knocking someone out, that's kind of a two-edged sword. If S&S knock one team out, they will knock someone else in. Of the teams that are on the bubble, these extra teams in the mix can either hurt their chances (by beating them) or help their chances (by beating the other guys).Actually, they did.

Zhang and Zhang won the Junior Grand Prix (for the second time) in 2002, and they also had some senior events that same season. Their first season as seniors was 2003-2004. In that season's Grand Prix, five teams skated an extra non-scoring event, Pang and Tong, Petrova and Tikhonov, Langois and Archetta, Zagorska and Siudek, and Totmiania and Marinen (Zhen and Zhao were also eligible for a third event, but only skated in two.)

So I guess it's, what goes around, comes around.
True but that was when 3 GPs for elite skaters were permitted. It seems like now a third GP is permitted when the ISU deems it necessary for reasons that are not clear.