Patrick Chan | Page 180 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
LOl, VB, nice! You should also post that flyer in the Joanne McLeod thread (if there is one), too! ;-)

Now that we're talking clinics, I think Patrick should do more of these to various audiences as part of his goal to raise the profile of figure skating as a sport. One of the audiences he could target would be adult figure skaters.

I just saw that for the first time ever, the ISU will have two sanctioned adult competitions next year - the second one being in Vancouver, BC from 8/28/16 - 9/2/16 (see info here). The ISU is committed to supporting the growth and development of adult skating worldwide (link), so what a great opportunity for Patrick and the other age 21+ Canadian skaters to promote the sport!

Last edited:

m0001

On the Ice
Patrick's latest tweet:
"We’ll need a panel of judges to critique my Icewine next weekend @LCBO. Any takers to have their review featured here? #PCIcewine"
VB or Vivley, perhaps you can be the judges?:love:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
:laugh2:
So Patrick will be busy right after the GPF.

Kevin Reynolds will be a special quest and I rushed the news to his fan thread to beat ckn to it. :biggrin:

May Patrick do his best for this stage of his journey at the GPF. Another medal for his collection.

eta: Patrick is always surrounded by adoring girls at his clinics so I guess the suits decided to give the boys a chance for a change! :laugh:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Patrick's latest tweet:
"We’ll need a panel of judges to critique my Icewine next weekend @LCBO. Any takers to have their review featured here? #PCIcewine"
VB or Vivley, perhaps you can be the judges?:love:

Lol, I'm flattered, m0001, but why not you? ;)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I added a lot of links to articles to the OP. They go back to 2007. I hope Patrick fans will get a kick out if them.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Thank you, Dorispulaski! Now I'll have even more reading material to distract me... ;-)

All, here's an article today from Tracy Wilson:

One of the best men's skating events ever?

Here's what she said about Patrick:

"What I love about Patrick's short program, which has been his nemesis this season, is that it pushes him out of his comfort zone artistically and plays to the audience. And that allows us to see his likeable personality.

What makes this program difficult for Patrick to deliver is exactly what I like about it - it takes his focus outside of himself. It's a style he has found to be disconcerting in the competitive arena and more suited to shows. It is however, artistically in line with his objectives in his comeback and more than worth staying the course for."

Do you all agree? I don't like the SP that much, but I think Tracy's right.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Another article, this one not as positive. To quote a line from Mulan, "who spit in her (the reporter's) beancurd?"

Patrick Chan has some catching up to do in Barcelona: DiManno

The reporter uses the "I don’t think that’s fair — to start revamping my whole program just because of what someone else did as opposed to what I did" quote and also writes, "As Joannie Rochette rather nastily tweeted at the time..."

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
meh… someone who writes That free skate is a typically elegant Chan program performed to Chopard.

isn't to be read seriously :)

Another article, this one not as positive. To quote a line from Mulan, "who spit in her (the reporter's) beancurd?"

Patrick Chan has some catching up to do in Barcelona: DiManno

The reporter uses the "I don’t think that’s fair — to start revamping my whole program just because of what someone else did as opposed to what I did" quote and also writes, "As Joannie Rochette rather nastily tweeted at the time..."

Bonesfan

On the Ice
Thanks for sharing Tracy Wilson's article, a nice read. The other one, not so much. It has an overall negative tone.

Best of luck to Patrick at GPF! Has he arrived in Barcelona yet?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Wilson writes as someone who knows and loves figure skating and understands skaters. DiManno writes just like a smug sport reporter that she is, who is often despised and criticized, even called Canada's worst columnist.

I'm glad Patrick has his plan instead of constantly reacting to views and events. :drama: That would be no way to succeed or live one's life.

Stay clam and focus on the moment, Patrick. Skate perfectly if you want to skate perfectly. Win if you want to win. But you don't need to be perfect to succeed or to win. Skating competition is not a boxing match, so just focus on your own skating. Nothing else matters when you are on the ice. So go out there and do your best. We are backing you with all the positive energy we can send you.

happylife

On the Ice
Violet Bliss, Well said, I totally agree with you. I wish Patrick skates perfectly and to enjoy the way he loves to skate at GPF.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Wilson writes as someone who knows and loves figure skating and understands skaters. DiManno writes just like a smug sport reporter that she is, who is often despised and criticized, even called Canada's worst columnist.

I'm glad Patrick has his plan instead of constantly reacting to views and events. :drama: That would be no way to succeed or live one's life.

Stay clam and focus on the moment, Patrick. Skate perfectly if you want to skate perfectly. Win if you want to win. But you don't need to be perfect to succeed or to win. Skating competition is not a boxing match, so just focus on your own skating. Nothing else matters when you are on the ice. So go out there and do your best. We are backing you with all the positive energy we can send you.
i like scallops better

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Patrick's muscles go really well with or without his ice wine

Patrick's muscles go best with a focused mind.

I prefer oysters to mussels for the zinc content, especially with eggs to get the zinc/biotin combo. I have fresh mussels and smoked oysters regularly. :) I'm mostly vegetarian, but haven't given up seafood, eating low in the food chain. I stopped eating octopus once I found out how super intelligent they are. Goes to show brains ain't the only apparatus for intelligence. OK, I'll clam up now.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Mack The Knife is the kind of program Patrick does really well in a show. I guess he needs some mind adjustment to bring it in a competition. It's a new challenge and another reason for his comeback. I figure he's learned enough from the two outings to get it all together the next time.

So Pat The Blade chose the theme of "Mackie is back in town" for his return. I wish for him to be a serial slayer like Mack. Go slay the mind blocks, the 3As, the competitions, and the nays, Patrick! I'm happy he's an underdog now. I'll enjoy the dramas.

I wish he has a real and classy costume though, like he always did up till Sochi.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm still on the fence about the SP. I like the idea of it, but the program has never gone well enough that I could really decide about it. I hope he can skate it clean at least once so we'll know how it is "supposed to be." I think Buble's version of "Mack the Knife" fits Patrick's skating style more than the other versions would have. It's been rather obvious to me that Patrick isn't quite comfortable with it yet. There's usually such an effortless ease about his skating that I feel is missing from this SP thus far. He seemed immediately comfortable with "Take Five," so I hope it's not an upbeat music issue per se. I guess I agree with what Tracy said and I really hope that the SP will go well at the GPF.

The seafood discussion is hilarious. Thanks for the comic relief. :laugh2:

ETA: Thanks as always for your words, VB. Mind adjustment is what it's all about. He did it for the LP and now he needs to do it for the SP too. And yes, I would love to know why he chose that costume and if there's a "reason" behind it. I'm willing to overlook it, but it is bizarre. The LP costume reminds me of wintertime and fits with the music, I think. I wonder if Patrick has as much input about the costumes as he has about the music. With TuLy, it seemed like he just let TuLy do his thing. I don't know what the situation is now.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I'm still on the fence about the SP. I like the idea of it, but the program has never gone well enough that I could really decide about it. I hope he can skate it clean at least once so we'll know how it is "supposed to be." I think Buble's version of "Mack the Knife" fits Patrick's skating style more than the other versions would have. It's been rather obvious to me that Patrick isn't quite comfortable with it yet. There's usually such an effortless ease about his skating that I feel is missing from this SP thus far. He seemed immediately comfortable with "Take Five," so I hope it's not an upbeat music issue per se. I guess I agree with what Tracy said and I really hope that the SP will go well at the GPF.

The seafood discussion is hilarious. Thanks for the comic relief. :laugh2:

I love his Take Five! Lori knew how to choreograph just right for him. Mack The Knife went back for adjustment with extra 4 seconds added for comfort. I think he will be comfortable with it if he would just stay in the moment instead of letting his mind jump ahead, even for a fraction of a second. That's what happened at TEB but Patrick and Kathy both laughed about it so I think they know it's no big deal and will be rectified.

Patrick is at GPF practice but we have no live stream. :(