Patrick Chan | Page 203 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
On a serious note do we have actual confirmation/more news on Patrick's knee? Let's just hope for the best until we hear more.

we don't but... here are my two cents... no news... good news... earlier this fall, people started to say that WEAPO were injured (K) and that they would probably withdraw from a bunch of competitions including GP... it was apparently reported (IINM) by TSL "dave"... ermm... well.... that was the last time we heard about an injury for them.

Patrick may have bruised himself, making it painful to skate one night... but then.. that doesn't mean he won't skate in 3-4 days from now? I fell on my butt recently ;) I am fine but god I couldn't walk the next day HAHA

Yesterday I searched for confirmation of Patrick's injury, and here are the three sources that I found:

This YouTuber who was at the DSC show and taped the performances said on their playlist page:

"Patrick Chan was scheduled to perform, but withdrew after the warmup."

Someone on Twitter posted this tweet:

@WeaverPoje @dscclub @SpecialOlympics Fabulous! Sorry about @Pchiddy. Good luck to all @dscclub skaters at their upcoming competitions.

And on The Skating Lesson's Facebook Page, this was posted:

Cheryl Koots Emery I went to DSC club show tonight and Patrick was injured in the warmup falling on a quad. He appeared to have hurt his knee, he did not skate his short program. Very unfortunate.

Hopefully Patrick only bruised his knee. Better his knee than his head, of course! I hope he remains confident and unaffected by the fall.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
exactly... a bone bruise is super painful... if that's what it is... but a couple days later... it gets better :) I am not worried... if he skated the warm up is that it wasn't a huge deal... otherwise he would have not even been at the warm up at all... he probably didn't want to risk anything considering Nationals are in a couple weeks.

I am sure Patrick will be fine... ;) keep positive guys!

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Look at this photo of Patrick at GPF - anyone want to adopt this lost puppy? He needs some cheering up!

https://twitter.com/Eiskunstlauf_Y/status/686801006986792960

Today I set up a new Twitter account just for this purpose. If any of my fellow fans on this forum have Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram accounts, please send Patrick an encouraging message. Or send me your note and I'll tweet it to him. I call this "Operation Encourage Patrick"!

--------------------------------------------------

And here is the latest iteration of Patrick's appearances. He'll be in Japan in April as well - more info here.

January 22-24, 2016 2016 Canadian Tire National Skating Championships
April 9-10, 2016 Stars on Ice, Osaka, Japan
April 15-17, 2016 Stars on Ice, Tokyo, Japan
April 29, 2016 Stars on Ice, Halifax, NS
May 1, 2016 Stars on Ice, Ottawa, ON
May 6, 2016 Stars on Ice, Toronto, ON
May 7, 2016 Stars on Ice, Hamilton, ON
May 8, 2016 Stars on Ice, London, ON
May 11, 2016 Stars on Ice, Winnnipeg, MB
May 13, 2016 Stars on Ice, Edmonton, AB
May 14, 2016 Stars on Ice, Saskatoon, SK
May 15, 2016 Stars on Ice, Calgary, AB
May 18, 2016 Stars on Ice, Kelowna, BC
May 19, 2016 Stars on Ice, Vancouver, BC
May 21, 2016 Stars on Ice, Victoria, BC

luckiest1

Rinkside
Hello Patrick fans! I found this thread by following the link in vivley's tweet and I love the idea of "Operation Encourage Patrick"! I've occasionally read threads on this forum over the years but apparently I had never registered until today. I've been a member of another figure skating message board since 2001.
There is a Patrick fan thread there, but it's been pretty quiet this season. I am a huge Patrick fan so love that you guys seem much more active! I went on twitter this morning to try and find more information about what happened at DSC on the weekend. I'm heading for Halifax next week so my fingers, toes and everything else are crossed that Patrick is ok!

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Hello Patrick fans! I found this thread by following the link in vivley's tweet and I love the idea of "Operation Encourage Patrick"! I've occasionally read threads on this forum over the years but apparently I had never registered until today. I've been a member of another figure skating message board since 2001.
There is a Patrick fan thread there, but it's been pretty quiet this season. I am a huge Patrick fan so love that you guys seem much more active! I went on twitter this morning to try and find more information about what happened at DSC on the weekend. I'm heading for Halifax next week so my fingers, toes and everything else are crossed that Patrick is ok!
Hey, luckiest1! I think I've seen your username over at FSU (if you're the same person). I'm not a member of FSU but I occasionally lurk in certain threads. You're right - the Patrick threads there are very quiet right now. I wonder why. Anyway, welcome! :biggrin:

ETA: vivley, what's the name of the Twitter account. Just curious.

Last edited:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist

Wow! Welcome, luckiest1! How exciting for you to go to Halifax! I eagerly look forward to your on-the-ground reports!

ETA: vivley, what's the name of the Twitter account. Just curious.

You mean I can't keep anonymous? :laugh: Here you go:

https://twitter.com/PCSkatingFan

I'm sure most of us here have a social media account and can send Patrick an encouraging note. But if not, I'll be glad to pass on your message to Patrick.

Patrick should also set up a LinkedIn profile page to highlight his accomplishments. I searched but didn't see one for him. Here's a good example of a LinkedIn profile for a figure skater who is also an accountant. Another one is Aaron Parchem's profile, which lists his skating accomplishments at the bottom of the page.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
With the Powerball lottery at $1.5 billion, did anyone here buy a ticket?

It gives me great pleasure to think that if I were to win, I would spend some of it by going to see Patrick's performances. Next, I would hire him for a private skating event. Then, I would set up a scholarship fund for him.

If you won the lottery, what would you do for Patrick?

Of course, maybe Patrick bought a ticket, too. :biggrin:

luckiest1

Rinkside
I'd definitely go to Worlds and Olympics :)

BTW here's another addition to your Mack The Knife discussion. Clay Aiken did a great version on his 2010 Tried and True album and subsequent PBS special:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXV0yxzC8f4
I tried to link this to my original post but I got an automatic ban. Oops! Luckily the admins unbanned me. :biggrin:

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
You mean I can't keep anonymous? :laugh: Here you go:

https://twitter.com/PCSkatingFan

I'm sure most of us here have a social media account and can send Patrick an encouraging note. But if not, I'll be glad to pass on your message to Patrick.
Do you want to be anonymous? :laugh: Maybe like Patrick's Secret Santa? I'm very sorry if that was the case. Like I told you in the PM, I think what you're doing is great! :) And thanks for all the goodies you always bring to this thread! :cheer:

blueberryhill

On the Ice
Welcome, luckiest1! We are definitely looking forward to your reports from the nationals!

It gives me great pleasure to think that if I were to win, I would spend some of it by going to see Patrick's performances. Next, I would hire him for a private skating event. Then, I would set up a scholarship fund for him.

Good luck, Vivley! I hope you win! Patrick surely can use the money for his training cost.

In 2012, his federal government funding was $1,500 a month ($18,000 annual). I read that he gets an additional small amount from the province of Ontario.

His annual training cost is estimated at a minimum of $150,000 to $200,000+up. He has to supplement his training through prize money, sponsorships and skating shows.

Last edited:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Good luck, Vivley! I hope you win! Patrick surely can use the money for his training cost.

In 2012, his federal government funding was $1,500 a month ($18,000 annual). That info came straight from Patrick's mother. She told this to a group of us at a fundraiser that I had attended in 2012. I read that he gets an additional small amount from the province of Ontario.

His annual training cost is estimated at a minimum of $150,000 to $200,000+up. He has to supplement his training through prize money, sponsorships and skating shows.

And his skating school and wine sales. ;) I wonder how much wine he's sold so far?

Yes, I heard about his enormous training costs - by now he could have bought a nice house. I think he could find other sources of revenue, though. Maybe at one point he could write his memoirs, or appear in a movie, like Denis Ten did. He could use more publicity, for sure.

Speaking of social media, Patrick does do some of the things listed in this article, but I'm sure he could become even more engaged and build his personal brand.

Even though 4everchan said no news is good news on his knee, it still does worry me a bit that he didn't post a status update to @dscclub or say something like, "I regret that I had to withdraw from the show and couldn't support our local Special Olympians." A statement like that would be more reassuring, I think.

Last edited:

Coriana

On the Ice
Yes, I've been looking on the various sites for some word from Patrick...and the silence is beginning to roar. I hope Luckiest1 and I won't be crying in our rum and cokes in Halifax. And I suspect we won't know for sure till the last minute.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i hadn't been here in a couple days ;) so much love going on!!!! I hope Patrick knows how happy we are he is back.

VIVLEY :) you crack me up using the Chanada location... not like I created it but I have had this posted on my profile for a while now ;) sometimes I call it Chan Nam Da ;)

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Yes, I've been looking on the various sites for some word from Patrick...and the silence is beginning to roar. I hope Luckiest1 and I won't be crying in our rum and cokes in Halifax. And I suspect we won't know for sure till the last minute.

Lol, we are so lucky to now have TWO on the ground reporters for next week! I hope you get to meet him and convey our support to him!

i hadn't been here in a couple days ;) so much love going on!!!! I hope Patrick knows how happy we are he is back.

VIVLEY :) you crack me up using the Chanada location... not like I created it but I have had this posted on my profile for a while now ;) sometimes I call it Chan Nam Da ;)

Has it been that long? Doesn't seem like it!

I thought of you when I put Chanada, except mine is virtual. I regard all of Patrick's internet fandom to be "virtual Chanada."

Now this makes me want to play with words...

Chanactivist: An activist fan on behalf of Patrick Chan.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
maybe like 12 hours away from the thread ;) seems like a week ;)

chanatic ;)

chantastic

enchantment (that's what he does to me)

anybody else has great chan puns :) or chan buns ;) :dev2:
Lol, we are so lucky to now have TWO on the ground reporters for next week! I hope you get to meet him and convey our support to him!

Has it been that long? Doesn't seem like it!

I thought of you when I put Chanada, except mine is virtual. I regard all of Patrick's internet fandom to be "virtual Chanada."

Now this makes me want to play with words...

Chanactivist: An activist fan on behalf of Patrick Chan.

Last edited:

Coriana

On the Ice
For the lovers of wordplay, - on the other forum, there is a little group of us known as Chiddy-Biddies. (a biddy being a garrulous old woman).