Patrick Chan | Page 398 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

blueberryhill

On the Ice
I wish you and Blueberryhill the best onsite experience ever! :agree::love:
Do you mind if I quote your post on my blog?

Thanks so much Vivley! Of course you have my permission to quote anything I post here in Patrick's fan fest!

I want to contrast this 2016 experience with the one in 2014. Then, it was just before sochi. I was exceedingly nervous in anticipation of Patrick's quest for the OGM. I found at that Nationals, there was a palpable tenseness in the air. I had front row seats in the end zone which meant that every time the skaters came around there was a chance for direct eye contact. (I wouldn't sit there again. :p) I saw Patrick up close and felt he was tense and somber, his eyes were always downcast. This Nationals, aside from the disappointment with doubling the quad sal, imo, he is skating with a different mindset. Yes, he's in competition mode but he's also skating as an artist who wants to paint a canvas on ice and his body was relaxed. :love: (I notice that especially in his arm movements. :love: :love:)

For me, this time I'm here to enjoy great skating. I decided to leave my dslr at home and concentrate on what's happening in the moment as oppose to trying to capture images (there so many amateur and pro photographers who are much better than me anyways). I wasn't able to spend as much time there yesterday as I would have liked but I really enjoyed the entire men's practice. Seeing all of them just fly up and down the ice and I actually enjoyed looking for skating skills as opposed to the big jumps. :clapper:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Patrick did an almost full run through of Black Bird, missing only a few steps and the solo jump, probably because it was a bit crowded when he got there. Gorgeous 4T3T and 3A. :love:

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Did you see this?

http://www.tsn.ca/figure-skating/vi...p-composing-chan-s-free-program-music~1038092

youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4r6KUy5OFo

Ooooh! It's holy universe, holy cosmos. So amazing **

Can smb make transcription? I'm affraid Iunderstand not all ^^'

Only a photo until now. Thanks. It's beautiful, in many ways.

You're so right. Their friendship so strong and touching...
:love::love::love: this video!!!!!! I especially love the beginning where we see Patrick and Eric having such fun together. :luv17: Patrick skating with no program and no music is still divine. Each movement is always so beautiful.

Thanks so much Vivley! Of course you have my permission to quote anything I post here in Patrick's fan fest!

I want to contrast this 2016 experience with the one in 2014. Then, it was just before sochi. I was exceedingly nervous in anticipation of Patrick's quest for the OGM. I found at that Nationals, there was a palpable tenseness in the air. I had front row seats in the end zone which meant that every time the skaters came around there was a chance for direct eye contact. (I wouldn't sit there again. :p) I saw Patrick up close and felt he was tense and somber, his eyes were always downcast. This Nationals, aside from the disappointment with doubling the quad sal, imo, he is skating with a different mindset. Yes, he's in competition mode but he's also skating as an artist who wants to paint a canvas on ice and his body was relaxed. :love: (I notice that especially in his arm movements. :love: :love:)

For me, this time I'm here to enjoy great skating. I decided to leave my dslr at home and concentrate on what's happening in the moment as oppose to trying to capture images (there so many amateur and pro photographers who are much better than me anyways). I wasn't able to spend as much time there yesterday as I would have liked but I really enjoyed the entire men's practice. Seeing all of them just fly up and down the ice and I actually enjoyed looking for skating skills as opposed to the big jumps. :clapper:
Thanks for sharing. I love hearing that Patrick looks so relaxed at this Nationals! You are so fortunate to be able to watch him skate in person!!! :clap:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Did you see this?

http://www.tsn.ca/figure-skating/vi...p-composing-chan-s-free-program-music~1038092

youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4r6KUy5OFo

Ooooh! It's holy universe, holy cosmos. So amazing **

Can smb make transcription? I'm affraid Iunderstand not all ^^'

Thank you, Ayara! I will work on a transcript and post it on my blog post later today.

:

Thank you! I added a section in my blog post for your story!

Forgot to add - my cheer graphic for Patrick!

https://twitter.com/PCSkatingFan/status/822525625055383553

Go, go, go, Pchiddy!

Last edited:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
I finally finished updating my post - as usual, I was able to collect some good stuff, including photos of ice conditions at the rink. The transcript Ayara requested is also on there.

Patrick Chan 2017 Canadian Nationals: Part 1

Patrick still managed to impress, despite the mistakes in his performance. What bothers me right now are the few who still want to compare him to Nathan or Yuzu. Also, this tweet here. Not sure if it's even true, and if it is, whether this took place before or after the SP. I just can't imagine Patrick doing that when he still needs to compete tomorrow night.... :scratch2:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I thought I would post in here after seeing Patrick for the first time "live"

Yes... I have been crazy about Patrick for almost 10 years... with some time down when I was extremely busy ;) but always and 4ever, he will be my favourite skater...

I was disappointed tonight that he had tight landings on everyone of his jumps but very happy he didn't fall nor pop...

HOWEVER, the disappointment was very short-lived.

I know many of you have seen him skate before but let me indulge in my awe and love for pchiddy

Yes... speed and power... deep edges... but what is so striking is how he is always moving and it's always so perfectly balanced and beautiful. Sometimes, people refer to skaters as artists. I cringe a bit... because they are athletes first in my humble opinion... even with a guy like Patrick... I think tonight, I understand Zoueva's comment first degree... Patrick is not an artist... HE IS THE ART.

He is pure magic. He is unique. Funny enough, maybe I was a bit too far but I forgot how sexy he was ;) I was just mesmerized. His SP had too many little flaws today in a short period of time... fair enough... but I know for sure that tomorrow, his LP will at least have a long step sequence on "emotional" music.... and I am afraid I will have to hide my tears around me... the ladies next to me go to many skating events and are blasé(es).... they were not too happy with him tonight because they think he always wins even with mistakes... I had to point out he was the only one who rotated all his jumps and stayed on his feet and he wouldn't be penalized BV wise... actually, his BV tonight was .43 higher than usually since he did the 3T in the second half LOL... (he also got credit for all his elements which he doesn't always manage to do so let's hope that sticks for worlds).

I hope i get to see at least a couple good jumps tomorrow... so for sure I will not try to take photos during the warm up... :) he did a good triple axel that I didn't catch there... do believe that when his jumps are good, they are textbook. the ideal jumps... but unfortunately not tonight...

I have mentioned it in another thread... which I know many of you won't visit... so i repeat it here... What was the most striking for me, as I totally expect to be blown away by his skating were his spins... WOW... so fast... such good positions... so centered. I think he is probably very underrated when it comes to spins because he doesn't catch foot or what not... and on tv... spins that are fast look slower and spins that are slow look faster in my experience... and well... live, his spins are AMAZINGLY FAST and beautiful...

I have no idea what tomorrow will bring us... will he do a great LP like when he messes up the SP? Will I see his gorgeous 4S? Will the emotion come true? Now that I have seen him in one program, I will be even more open to enjoy his performance. I won't be as nervous as I was today... especially with all the men splatting... I may even skip the first 10 men... just to save some juice... in any case... just thought I would send some greetings from Ottawa.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I finally finished updating my post - as usual, I was able to collect some good stuff, including photos of ice conditions at the rink. The transcript Ayara requested is also on there.

Patrick Chan 2017 Canadian Nationals: Part 1

Patrick still managed to impress, despite the mistakes in his performance. What bothers me right now are the few who still want to compare him to Nathan or Yuzu. Also, this tweet here. Not sure if it's even true, and if it is, whether this took place before or after the SP. I just can't imagine Patrick doing that when he still needs to compete tomorrow night.... :scratch2:

about the tweet..

it was tweeted one hour after the start of the men's SP... i doubt Patrick was at his hotel maybe 60 minutes before he skates? we actually saw footage of him warming up at the rink ... so unless she meant at another time before this week, she is lying.
Also, anyone could go to a bar and ask for a Perrier ;)

in any case, I wouldn't read into that...

re comparing with other skaters... my answer is MEH.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
The first time I watched Patrick's SP, it was on YouTube without audio. :laugh: Mistakes, but oh well. Just don't do that at Worlds, please.

Here's DailyMotion and here's his interview afterward, in which he talks about learning to control his hyperactive mind. :thumbsup:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
I thought I would post in here after seeing Patrick for the first time "live"

Yes... speed and power... deep edges... but what is so striking is how he is always moving and it's always so perfectly balanced and beautiful. Sometimes, people refer to skaters as artists. I cringe a bit... because they are athletes first in my humble opinion... even with a guy like Patrick... I think tonight, I understand Zoueva's comment first degree... Patrick is not an artist... HE IS THE ART.

He is pure magic. He is unique. Funny enough, maybe I was a bit too far but I forgot how sexy he was ;) I was just mesmerized. His SP had too many little flaws today in a short period of time... fair enough... but I know for sure that tomorrow, his LP will at least have a long step sequence on "emotional" music.... and I am afraid I will have to hide my tears around me... the ladies next to me go to many skating events and are blasé(es).... they were not too happy with him tonight because they think he always wins even with mistakes... I had to point out he was the only one who rotated all his jumps and stayed on his feet and he wouldn't be penalized BV wise... actually, his BV tonight was .43 higher than usually since he did the 3T in the second half LOL... (he also got credit for all his elements which he doesn't always manage to do so let's hope that sticks for worlds).

Thank you so much for posting your story and perspective, 4ever! Yes, Patrick is THE ART. And so we celebrate art on ice here and on my blog. :agree:

And thank you for defending Patrick's performance to the other ladies as well. I hope they gained more appreciation for Patrick's skating afterwards. I think nowadays people demand absolute perfection on the ice. I'm glad that the judges rewarded Patrick for what he did well.

I hope you don't mind me quoting you on my blog? :)

The first time I watched Patrick's SP, it was on YouTube without audio. :laugh: Mistakes, but oh well. Just don't do that at Worlds, please.

Here's DailyMotion and here's his interview afterward, in which he talks about learning to control his hyperactive mind. :thumbsup:

Ha, I don't think skating last is as much of a problem as Patrick's overthinking. After all, he had skated last and won spectacularly at SC2015, 4CC2016, and COC2016. So what was the difference between his mindset then and at GPF or last night? At SC2015 he said he had "shut off his brain". At 4CC I think he might not have thought he was going to win, so he just let loose and out came that perfect program. Maybe it was the same at COC.

He just needs to trust himself and let it happen. ;)

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Vivley. Full report coming soon. Still celebrating. But for now: all the ladies jumped during the last spin. I think i understood something tonight. They were all chiddy lovers. However, since sometimes he hasnt done as well as he can, some fans are closeted at this point. They are afraid of saying they are patrick fans because they don't like the yadda yadda pcs score inflation he does not deserve it banter. Everyone was crazy about his skate tonight. Most didnt even notice the 3t. But really who cares ? Will be right back posting my report later. For quoting me, well, let's see what you want to quote lol. I say so many stupid things. Hahaha.

Last edited:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Vivley. Full report coming soon. Still celebrating. But for now: all the ladies jumped during the last speed. I think i understood something tonight. They were all chiddy lovers. However, since sometimes he hasnt done as well as he can, some fans are closeted at this point. They are afraid of saying they are patrick fans because they don't like the yadda yadda pcs score inflation he does not deserbe it banter. Everyone was crazy about his skate tonight. Most didnt even notice the 3t. But really who cares ? Will be right back posting my report later. For quoting me, well, let's see what you want to quote lol. I say so many stupid things. Hahaha.

Thank you 4everchan! I'm so glad you were able to see Patrick at his best tonight! And of course I will quote the best part of your reports, too!

I am blogging as fast and furiously as I can, doing transcripts of Patrick's interviews and compiling everything... All I can say is that I am so so so proud of Patrick for all the growth and maturity he's displayed this year!

Here's another interview with him after the victory ceremony, where he said what I was thinking just the other day! That he should thank the young guys for pushing him technically. Otherwise, we wouldn't have seen him skate the best performances he's ever skated last year and this year!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jobH8SkO0Hc

I will have the transcript of this one on my blog post as well!

Well... just found this interview with PJ Kwong! Another one to add to my blog:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPjSljnDHBj/

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Vivley. Full report coming soon. Still celebrating. But for now: all the ladies jumped during the last spin. I think i understood something tonight. They were all chiddy lovers. However, since sometimes he hasnt done as well as he can, some fans are closeted at this point. They are afraid of saying they are patrick fans because they don't like the yadda yadda pcs score inflation he does not deserve it banter. Everyone was crazy about his skate tonight. Most didnt even notice the 3t. But really who cares ? Will be right back posting my report later. For quoting me, well, let's see what you want to quote lol. I say so many stupid things. Hahaha.

I remember a very touching report by a fan who watched Patrick's at 2011 Nationals. Embarrassed about her crying over his performance, she went into the ladies' room to clean up and found others all teary eyed there.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Thank you, VB. I'm glad to make a contribution to Patrick and his fandom. :)

Here's my blog post as it currently stands. I expect to do more updates tomorrow and for the gala, of course.

Patrick Chan: Nine-time Canadian Champion!

It was so nice to change the front page text on my website to "Nine-time Canadian Champion"!