People should say something about the cyberbullying against Sotnikova | Page 8 | Golden Skate

People should say something about the cyberbullying against Sotnikova

Kazama

Match Penalty
I think what aggravated Koreans even more was the comments that Adelina made after the competition. Apparently she said "I always wanted to beat Kim, and I was happy that I did at Sochi" or something like "My performance was much better than Kim's, so I deserve the Gold Medal."

I'm not too sure if those quotes are exact, but that's what I've been seeing on the internet and other news articles.

Those quotes are truly exact.
I read some articles on the internet, too.
I can understand why koreans angry in some ways.(It doesn't mean that I take koreans side who cyberbull at Adelina's sns but Someone can feel uncomfortable because of her arrogant attitude compared with her questionable highest score in FS. Though I'm not a korean, I felt upset when I saw that article, too)
Also, the press and many ppl in the world throw a doubt how she got overscored in such a short period and she hugged some russian judges who scored other skaters in women's FS after her FS was ended. It is enough for someone to suspect the relations between Adelina and Russian Judges and Putin.
Plus, some people said that Adelina's high score came from technical area but then I cannot understand why Asada who used triple axel 8 times perfectly got a lower score than Adelina who made a mistake when landing to the ground and used some two foot landing and wrong edge in FS. LOL

Figure 8's

On the Ice
She certainly was incredibly arrogant in how she represented herself post event, and seemingly oblivious to there being any controversy about her victory. Hugging one of the most corrupt judges in skating history in front of camera, even if she didnt know about the obvious fix that was in, was also not a very clever PR move on her part. I dont believe anyone deserves death threats or some of the things she is receiving, but do I feel sympathy that she is receiving a very negative reaction to her win? Not at all. If she were a genuinely good person who showed an ounce of sportsmanship I might have more, even with it being such a farcial and blatant set up of a win.
And you know all this for a fact? Or are you just repeating the mob mentality?

Manitou

Medalist
No excuse for death threats and ill wishes, just disgusting!

Having said that, I don't think there would be so much hatred targeting Adelina's instagram account if there were proper responses from governing bodies like ISU and IOC. Oh wait, there was one.. which basically went like 'There's nothing wrong with our scoring system or how we select judges..' :rolleye:

There is no reason for any ISU or anybody else to address anything. There was no controversy, the results were clear, fair and well documented, so there is no reason to respond to issues that don't exist.
It's just a mob of evil and sore losers with no class at all, who now resort no all sorts of bullying, threats and accusations, and they need to be treated by authorities.

LRK

Record Breaker
I don't understand the "If I liked her better, I'd care more" attitude. What is being done to Adelina is despicable. It doesn't matter if she is the most obnoxious brat to step on the face of the earth - or a sweettempered angel come down to us straight from heaven - or anything in between (which frankly, given the nature of most of humanity, is most likely). It's funny that skaters are held to this high standard - while anonymous internet users are deemed free to do whatever they like and it is at most, mildly regrettable.

Adelina being pleased at winning - "OMG! She is a Horrible Human Being!"

Anonymous Internet Users issuing death threats - "Oh, well, they are upset, poor things. But can you blame them, really?"

cheerio2

On the Ice
I would think that everyone would agree about the cyberbullying of athletes, which is a completely separate issue from the judging. I guess not. I have never witnessed anything so disturbing against a figure skater, and the situation should not just be downplayed as "random teenagers." The abusive messages and death threats are cyberbullying and should not be tolerated, period. If death threats and abusive messages were happening to Yuna or any other skater on their personal accounts, would people not take it seriously?

While is not Yuna's responsibility to say anything here and she may not even be aware of this, it would be good if she did because these people will not listen to anyone else. There would be no harm if she said (or even just tweeted) a short message encouraging everyone to put forth their opinions in a civil manner. Even if a minority of people listened, it would still help. The people doing this abusive stuff are hurting the people who are expressing their opinions rationally.

PftJump

On the Ice
Yuna is not famous as SNS attachment. She's not meformer.

She doesn't twitter(except UNICEF issues), her facebook is managed by her fan.

She didn't waste time on such a thing.

And Sotnikova doesn't care about Yuna, Yuna doesn't care about Sotnikova.

It's natural. They have no relationship about each other.

Yuna is not her mother.

Besides, I think Tarasova will help her as always.

louisa05

Final Flight
I would think that everyone would agree about the cyberbullying of athletes, which is a completely separate issue from the judging. I guess not. I have never witnessed anything so disturbing against a figure skater, and the situation should not just be downplayed as "random teenagers." The abusive messages and death threats are cyberbullying and should not be tolerated, period. If death threats and abusive messages were happening to Yuna or any other skater on their personal accounts, would people not take it seriously?

While is not Yuna's responsibility to say anything here and she may not even be aware of this, it would be good if she did because these people will not listen to anyone else. There would be no harm if she said (or even just tweeted) a short message encouraging everyone to put forth their opinions in a civil manner. Even if a minority of people listened, it would still help. The people doing this abusive stuff are hurting the people who are expressing their opinions rationally.

Unfortunately, threatening athletes on social media is not a new thing. There was a story last fall about threats received by various college football players over mistakes in games. We don't need YuNa to address it, society as a whole needs to address the way we talk about and to others online. I think there is also a perception that people in the public eye are less real and don't have the same feelings and responses. This is exacerbated by how we use language. In the U.S., the new usage of "real" in reference to a person is to mean "not famous". So our perception has become that anyone with any level of fame is somehow not quite as real as the rest of us and it is okay to treat them in ways we would not treat our friends, neighbors and co-workers.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
unfortunately, threatening athletes on social media is not a new thing. There was a story last fall about threats received by various college football players over mistakes in games. We don't need yuna to address it, society as a whole needs to address the way we talk about and to others online. I think there is also a perception that people in the public eye are less real and don't have the same feelings and responses. This is exacerbated by how we use language. In the u.s., the new usage of "real" in reference to a person is to mean "not famous". So our perception has become that anyone with any level of fame is somehow not quite as real as the rest of us and it is okay to treat them in ways we would not treat our friends, neighbors and co-workers.

ita.

bekalc

Record Breaker
@Bekalc: If I remember correctly you seem to have been a big fan of Yuna, at least in 2006-2007, based on your posting habits then. Whatever happened to you in the meantime to so celebrate today a very controversial loss of your former goddess and even to try to rub it in? not mentioning try to pin on her the damage caused by the behavior of random teenagers on the internet. I'm just sincerely curious.

Where am I pinning on her the damage of these deranged people? I am not sure if she should say something or not. I did comment somewhere that if she did comment about Adeline's leaving the conference she maybe shouldn't have. Far cry from blaming her for her crazies who are probably why she's quiting.

I still like her but she is not the only skater I like. She hasn't been around much so it's either like others or stop watching. I would have been thrilled for either of the top 3 or mao

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
I just read about the death threats, comments telling Adelina to kill herself, and other attacks on her personal Instagram account and was appalled. :eek: This has completely crossed the line. There is no absolutely no justification for cyberbullying, especially of a child. Yuna is the only person who can talk some sense into these people at this point. Cyberbullying is a very serious problem among young people, and in the US, there have been numerous instances where cyberbullying has lead to death and other tragedy. I'm disappointed that Yuna hasn't said anything about this, to be honest. This is not about the inquiry/petition/protest. But people should be told to voice their opposition to the judging in a civil manner, and to refrain from attacking the athletes on a personal level. There are a lot of young people who look up to Yuna, and she should take this opportunity to tell them that she does not condone cyberbullying and that people should voice their opinions in a peaceful manner.

First, that's unfortunate. People should stop harassing her.

That being said, I won't worry much though. Putin will take care of it.

cheerio2

On the Ice
Where am I pinning on her the damage of these deranged people? I am not sure if she should say something or not. I did comment somewhere that if she did comment about Adeline's leaving the conference she maybe shouldn't have. Far cry from blaming her for her crazies who are probably why she's quiting.

I still like her but she is not the only skater I like. She hasn't been around much so it's either like others or stop watching. I would have been thrilled for either of the top 3 or mao

I really wish some people would, instead of reading almost everything that others say as some sort of plot against a skater, realize that it usually is exactly what it looks like, which in this case is concern over cyberbullying, which should not be downplayed.

cooper

Medalist
I really wish some people would, instead of reading almost everything that others say as some sort of plot against a skater, realize that it usually is exactly what it looks like, which in this case is concern over cyberbullying, which should not be downplayed.

^again how in the world will yuna even address such incident and asked those loonies when she doesn't even know this exist?? heck the korean media are not even talking about this nor asked her anything at all.. so it's ridiculous for you to keep insisting that yuna should do this and that.. when in fact you never reconsider that maybe she's staying away from this mess and the internet because she herself has her own detractors event to deal with! :rolleye:

chloepoco

Medalist
I don't understand the "If I liked her better, I'd care more" attitude. What is being done to Adelina is despicable. It doesn't matter if she is the most obnoxious brat to step on the face of the earth - or a sweettempered angel come down to us straight from heaven - or anything in between (which frankly, given the nature of most of humanity, is most likely). It's funny that skaters are held to this high standard - while anonymous internet users are deemed free to do whatever they like and it is at most, mildly regrettable.

Adelina being pleased at winning - "OMG! She is a Horrible Human Being!"

Anonymous Internet Users issuing death threats - "Oh, well, they are upset, poor things. But can you blame them, really?"

I agree with everything you say; the only thing I find more disturbing than the actual comments made on Adelina's social media sites, are the people who are condoning/rationalizing this behavior because "Adelina deserves it" or "this wouldn't have happened if Adelina was scored correctly" etc.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
As far as I'm concerned Adelina's win more justified than Ando's win in 2011.

Like always you live in your little dream world. Who was complaining about Ando winning in 2011. Nobody if I recall. In fact name one expert who criticized that particular result. The consensus seemed to be she beat Kim, Kostner, Asada, and the remainder of the field fair and square that night. Compare that to now with commentators, past champions, fellow skaters, writers, and fans alike all ridiculing and outraged over the result. Yeah big difference. Of course you probably like Sotnikova and dont like Ando, so that is all that matters for you.

Don't you realize. This was not a competition. It was suppose to be a coronation.

That is what it was indeed, it was not a competition ever, it was merely a coronotion for SOTNIKOVA. Some thought it was going to be one for Lipnitskaya, an even weaker skater who also happens to be a Russian origin. Either way a Russian was guaranteed to win just for showing up, that was evident weeks in advance, never mind after the ridiculous short program and long program judges draw. :laugh:

samcooper

Spectator
There is no reason for any ISU or anybody else to address anything. There was no controversy, the results were clear, fair and well documented, so there is no reason to respond to issues that don't exist.
It's just a mob of evil and sore losers with no class at all, who now resort no all sorts of bullying, threats and accusations, and they need to be treated by authorities.

Oh ok. :rolleye:
Crawl out of your cave now.

cheerio2

On the Ice
I agree with everything you say; the only thing I find more disturbing than the actual comments made on Adelina's social media sites, are the people who are condoning/rationalizing this behavior because "Adelina deserves it" or "this wouldn't have happened if Adelina was scored correctly" etc.

Yeah :(

bekalc

Record Breaker

I know. We will stop if she gives back the gold medal.

And suddenly I'm not a fan of Yu-na, if I say maybe Adelina deserved it, and its not okay to attack Adelina.

I'm no okay with attacking any skater like this... My gosh these are human beings. However, I have loved Adelina's skating, since I saw her program at Russian nationals Swan Lake where she won gold. Of course I'm thrilled for her, although I would be thrilled for a number of people. But the idea of people threatening to hurt this girl, who I have watched improve and grow. Its just to much.

And its not making me want to see Kim fans get their way either.

Gosh, I feel bad sometimes for what I say in message boards maybe being too much. But I never wish harm on anyone. And you have folks talking about hurting people?

att

Rinkside
Why would she..? have you guys read or watch how all this mainstream media talked how Yuna didn't do enough..How she don't have guts or something..I heard and read a lot about it..for me the more all this mainstream media try to spin the story the less sense it makes..it makes me really angry that some people makes it like it was her fault that she didn't really want to win gold..,had she said she want gold would you give her gold.?.hell no..!

bekalc

Record Breaker
Why would she..? have you guys read or watch how all this mainstream media talked how Yuna didn't do enough..How she don't have guts or something..I heard and read a lot about it..for me the more all this mainstream media try to spin the story the less sense it makes..it makes me really angry that some people makes it like it was her fault that she didn't really want to win gold..,had she said she want gold would you give her gold.?.hell no..!

Because its not okay for someone to be bullied? I know the second Russian team that was fifth in dance. When the crowd was booing his marks. He got up and told the crowd to stop. It was a really classy thing to do.

Putting death threats, etc...Its unacceptable.

I don't know if she should dignify these folks with what a word or not. But maybe her saying stop would make it stop.

I would be horrified, if I were her, that my fans were doing this. Nobody should be bullied.

IF the shoe was on the other foot, I'm sure Yu-na wouldn't want folks doing that to her.