Piper Gilles & Paul Poirier | Page 33 | Golden Skate

Piper Gilles & Paul Poirier

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Do you think they would go to worlds and skate their vincent program? I would love to see them odium at worlds. The long and winding roud is so sad when the olympic road ran into a blockade and it seems once again a good Canadian team ends up on the bottom of the heap when they could have been on the podium. I remember Weaver and Poje and Dubreil and Lauzon Great teams and no olympic medal or world title.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Do you think they would go to worlds and skate their vincent program? I would love to see them odium at worlds. The long and winding roud is so sad when the olympic road ran into a blockade and it seems once again a good Canadian team ends up on the bottom of the heap when they could have been on the podium. I remember Weaver and Poje and Dubreil and Lauzon Great teams and no olympic medal or world title.
It's only another month. I hope they will.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
If there is a lesson to be learned from P&P's FD this year (in conjunction with Voir's Silver Medal FD at Sochi) it's this:

Canadian dance teams, please stay away from valedictorian "farewell" performances in an Olympic year.

On a more upbeat note, P&P have been a consistent joy throughout their career, Carol Lane is both entertaining and stylish, and I am grateful I got a chance in my lifetime to watch them.

rain

Record Breaker
In retrospect (hindsight being 20/20 of course) I think they should have gone with something weird/memorable for their FD this season, and something sophisticated rather than purely fun for their RD. I always maintained the costumes for the RD were a mistake. I think they were an invitation for the judges not to take them seriously. And I'm just not the biggest fan of Elton John for figure skating music, sorry! I think of my three favourite RDs this season and they were all really, well, cool — Papadakis/Cizeron, Smart/Diaz and Chock/Bates.

While I came to love their FD (the choreography is stunning), I think they needed something more in your face and different from what the other teams were doing, and this was too subdued in the sea of teams. And once again, the music choice was a bit of a miss for me (not the version of the song, but the song itself doesn't do it for me, sorry Beatles fans!). Of course they couldn't really know some of this until they saw what the other teams were skating to. I can't help but wonder if we wouldn't have seen some wholesale changes from them if there had been a Grand Prix Final and they could have seen where they stacked up before hitting Olympic ice.

I hope they stick around next season and just go all out and pick something totally off the wall and dare the judges to ignore it. I thought that's what happened at the Olympics — they kind of got ignored. And of course they had bad luck with the lift. But yeah, wild and crazy next season is what I'm rooting for. Something in the vein of Hitchcock.

slider11

Medalist
I hope Piper and Paul stick around. That bright orange/disco RD was reminiscent of Sargent Pepper a few years ago and not in a good way. I love that music but that over-the-top approach didn't work with Sgt Pepper and it didn't ring strong with this year. I wanted to like the FD but the music was just too similar throughout and lacked the pleasant quirks and strong ending found in other years.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The following is from CBC television's broadcast of Worlds with Kurt Browning and Carol Lane as commentators (no rhythm dances were aired).

2022 Worlds Post-Olympics Fluff (CBC TV 720p):

I had to upload the duo's free dance on Streamable because it was rejected by Dailymotion due to the music.

2022 Worlds FD (CBC TV 720p):

2022 Worlds Post-FD Interview (CBC TV 720p):

Last edited:

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
2022 Worlds Opening Montage + Ice Dance Discussion + RD Recap (CBC TV 720p):

2022 Worlds Free Dance Group 4 Warm-Up Clips (CBC TV 720p):

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Aaaaaand the week of stress arrived :laugh:
Laying low really made me nervous. And curious. And hopeful. And a bit discouraged (not by lack of info/competitions, but how others scored so far during challengers).
But I'm here at square one again, crossing fingers and anticipating what will hit me over the weekend (plus waiting for costumes to drop because...gifts will be crafted with them in mind ;)).
I kinda have no specific expectations of how programs will look. I just hope they won't be hammered too badly by tech panel :laugh:, but we will see what's in store.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Well the good news about the new rule is that Piper and Paul were often hammered on levels in the RD.. we will see if this helps them... Placing low in the RD was a huge problem.

However, this is the best test for them competing against Fear-Gibson.... we will see how things will shape up.

rain

Record Breaker
Gilles/Poirier are looking better than ever this season. They have the best pair of programs of any team this year. Their RD is in a league of its own, in my opinion, in a year where few have distinguished themselves. It's sophisticated, sexy, yet still super fun. The FD needs more tweaking, but is really working for them already. I was undecided about them choosing Evita, but I haven't heard anyone use this music in such a long time that it actually seems new and fresh. And Piper and Paul perform the hell out of it. I really think they should have a legitimate shot at the world title this season. Their skill, charisma and maturity just shine.