Plushenko Announces Return to Competition Next Season | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Plushenko Announces Return to Competition Next Season

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
Of course, how could I forget. They were wonderful but how many years between the time of off and then on?

Joe

I'm not 100% sure but didn't G&G win in 1988 and then again in 1994...if so that's 6 years out of elligible competition.

Ant

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I'm not 100% sure but didn't G&G win in 1988 and then again in 1994...if so that's 6 years out of elligible competition.
Actually, they turned pro after the '90 season (they hit both amateur and pro Worlds that year). Still, though, that makes for 3 complete seasons outside eligible competition.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Just talked to Plushenko's camp and they are saying it should come out in the Russian press soon that Evgeni was apparently pulled over yesterday, while driving, and possibly illegally detained, searched, and harrassed.

I can't do much follow up on it for awhile as am leaving the country in the morning, but if our Russian speaking members can cruise the Russian news sites, a story might pop up regarding the incident.

Just talked to Plushenko's camp and they are saying it should come out in the Russian press soon that Evgeni was apparently pulled over yesterday, while driving, and possibly illegally detained, searched, and harrassed.

I can't do much follow up on it for awhile as am leaving the country in the morning, but if our Russian speaking members can cruise the Russian news sites, a story might pop up regarding the incident.
I can't speak as a Russian but when I was there I noticed that there are no lanes in Mocow while driving. Not easy to avoid accidents. I'm with Evgeni on tis one.

Joe

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I just posted translation in a separate thread

jennylovskt

Medalist
Plushenko wanted the Olympic gold medal so badly. He lost it to Yagudin in 2002. So he did everything he could, even sacrifice his choreography, to insure his win in 2006. Now he has gotten what he wanted and he has won everything he could possibly win. He could relax a little now. Based on this thought, I think that his new program for his coming back would be much better choreographed compare with his last year's one. I am expecting to see more of the "fire on ice" kind of Plushenko (like we saw in 2002), not "jumping" Plushenko. He will be great.

I believe Lambiel would be his toughest competitor. If Lambiel has his program better choreographed, gets rid of the zebra kind of costume, and has more confidence, who knows who's going to win?

Kasey

Medalist
If Lambiel has his program better choreographed, gets rid of the zebra kind of costume, and has more confidence, who knows who's going to win?

Better choreographed than WHAT? The flailing, epileptic-looking Plushenko who constantly looks like he's trying to wave down a rescue plane?

Let them both compete at the same event, do clean programs, AND have appropriate judging, including spin GOE, choreography and transitions marks (which Plush should never have gotten above a 5.50)....Lambiel should be the winner hands-down.

Niza

Rinkside
To correct the problems with the choreography is much easier than to correct the technique defects.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I have never liked any of Yagudin´s skating and even less his person on the ice, and the same applied to Plushenko´s skating until I saw his performances and personality on ice at 2000 Finlandia Trophy (1999 Worlds did not do the trick, yet). Now after the news that Plushenko is coming back, I don´t really know... On the other hand I have lots of respect towards him as a competitor, but in the same time I think that I´d rather watch the current crop competing against each other. If the judging would be fair and not based on reputation so much, I would welcome Plushenko warmly back.

I can understand Plushenko´s ambition for a second Olympic gold, but as some posters have mentioned, 4 years is a loooong time. I´d really appreciate if he would use other choreographers for his future programmes than the ones he has used in his career so far.

Last edited:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Better choreographed than WHAT? The flailing, epileptic-looking Plushenko who constantly looks like he's trying to wave down a rescue plane?

Let them both compete at the same event, do clean programs, AND have appropriate judging, including spin GOE, choreography and transitions marks (which Plush should never have gotten above a 5.50)....Lambiel should be the winner hands-down.

The judges have always loved Plushenko to ridiculous extents. When he competed against Yagudin, even Yagudin had to do squeeky clean programs and Plushenko had to make a mistake most times for even Yagudin to be placed ahead. Yet Yagudin had actual real choreography, real utilization of the music, real connection with the audience, footwork that was unifed perfectly rather then j3-4 seperate components like Plushenko, and better spins then Plushenko, plus close to the same jump difficulty.