Prolonged Synchro Elements (Pairs/Ice Dance) | Golden Skate

Prolonged Synchro Elements (Pairs/Ice Dance)

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
One of the advantages that these two disciplines have over the singles disciplines is the ability to demonstrate matching lines, rotations, edges, and overall timing between the two skaters and with the music. The elements that allow the skaters to showcase prolonged synchronicity are the SBS pair spins and synchronized twizzles in ice dance. Non-touching step sequences also come to mind. Some of my favourite elements include:

Virtue/Moir 2010 Olympic OD - The non-touching midline step sequence is a highlight in many of V/M's OD/SD. This one is my favourite. They have matching lines and edges; sharp while hitting the highlights of the flamenco music, such as using the double twizzle in the transition of the music. They continually move across the ice with no mirroring movements, showing the judges and the audience perfect synchronization.

Savchenko/Massot 2017 GPF FS - I think this is probably the best they did their SBS spins this season, perfectly matching in both the positions and the changes of position, while maintaining rotational speed. Choreographed nicely with the build in the music.

Shibs 2016 World FD - Shibs often bring the house down just by doing their twizzles and it's no exception here. They're one of the few teams that do many extra rotations and their third set of twizzles is not an afterthought, even adding a difficult change of foot in the middle of it.

What are your favourite prolonged synchronized elements?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
there are so many good examples... especially with dance V/M, Shibs... etc

but I am here just to drop the D/R SBS spins... because it is usually in crazy unison .

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
The two that immediately come to mind are V/M’s 2013/4 Dream A Little Dream of Me SD (especially at the Olympics) and V/M’s 2016/7 Prince SD (especially at Worlds). They’re incredible.

DALD: https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgiFC7bRMdVbP4cQrxiS4HunBiMv1S0_4

Prince: https://youtu.be/p_PLsiDtxAE

Iconic programs. I also love their twizzles in their Carmen FD. The first time they premiered it at Skate Canada 2012, I was in awe at how well they matched the music especially at the very end.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Forgot to mention some synchronized spirals, probably because they are so rare nowadays, with the spiral sequence no longer required. Savchenko/Szolkowy does a nice sequence of two synchronized spirals in their 2010 FS.

MiraiFan

Final Flight
Thanks! A delightful piece of choreography.

I didn't appreciate this program as much when I was younger, then re-watched it a few years ago and was absolutely blown away. Unbelievably brilliant. Truly among the greats!

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The synchronized pair element that has never been rivalled, for me, is Gordeeva and Grinkov's jump sequence in their 1988 olympic LP. They do it in several programs, but the build-up of the music in this program just highlights and emphasizes the sequence so brilliantly. And it emphasizes the prolonged quality too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzo1ro8uFM0

The sequence starts at 3:40. It's repeated in slow-motion at 7:50. The sound quality is bad in this video, but the commentary is outstanding. (Anyone recognize who did the commentary?)

And ETA: This program does, after all, have a rival for me, in spirit and synchronicity: Savchenko and Massot's La Terre Vue du Ciel, Olympics, Worlds, GPF, SA. Esp the SBS spins.