Random Confessions | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Random Confessions

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Never watched The Game of Thrones or Sherlock:)

Same here.

Why such shame about the beautiful and complex sport of figure skating? :confused2: I openly tell people I love figure skating and sometimes stay up all night to watch figure skating competition on the other side of the world. My active sport is table tennis but I watch equestrian in the summer and figure skating in the winter. I guess I enjoy the esthetic of these sports. :)

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
I have never watched GOT as well but I am a massive Sherlock fan.
I haven't watched YOI anime and have zero interest.
I am terrible at time conversions and remembering them.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
I have never watched GOT as well but I am a massive Sherlock fan.
I haven't watched YOI anime and have zero interest.

I am terrible at time conversions and remembering them.

Lol this is me. :laugh:

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
Was Tat there with him?

No, Tat wasn't with him :biggrin:

If you mean if he was coached by tat by that time and not Mishin, Ya, He was already Tat's student.

Pamigena

Record Breaker
It drives me nuts when people write "would of" instead of "would have". Do you have any idea how long it has taken me to even figure out what this is supposed to mean and that it's intentional and not just some kind of very, very weird typo!? :palmf:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It drives me nuts when people write "would of" instead of "would have". Do you have any idea how long it has taken me to even figure out what this is supposed to mean and that it's intentional and not just some kind of very, very weird typo!? :palmf:

*internalised English nerd screaming*

Would of, could of should of it's all like fingernails down a blackboard. WOULD HAVE, COULD HAVE AND SHOULD HAVE.

The bastardisation of the English language drives me nuts.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

I was confounded when I first came across this also. I then figured out what it was ("would've") and that it's a common writing error by native English speakers, who also confuse it's and its, your and you're, etc, because they learn to speak before learning to write so they spell the way the words sound to them.

I first came across such errors in a course I paid for and was very upset at the poor English, even feeling cheated. LOL. "Would of" came later. I don't let these kinds of writing bother me as much these days, not that I fully accept them. :)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm certain you can find grammatical errors in my posts and completely admit that I type in a very conversational and casual style. Spell check though has made it much worse and I'll notice incorrect use of words like "there, were, and it's" that are often auto corrected incorrectly.

I'm sorry to those who read my posts and that I may have confused. :eek::

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I'm certain you can find grammatical errors in my posts and completely admit that I type in a very conversational and casual style. Spell check though has made it much worse and I'll notice incorrect use of words like "there, were, and it's" that are often auto corrected incorrectly.

lol... you're hilarious

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Then there's "try and" for "try to". Grr.... Incidentally, I had to try very hard to get the second word of my post spelled correctly; spell check definitely had a mind of its own on that one.

Another usage that bothers me is "different to" instead of "different from", but I believe that one is an idiom rather than a mistake.

When I was studying German a long time ago in a galaxy far away, I discovered that German uses different verb/preposition pairs than English does. So while it may have prepositions (from, to, under, one etc) that translate into English ones, which preposition is used with a given verb is fairly arbitrary. Translating each word of a phrase like "different from" is different from translating the phrase as a whole, because a different pairing may be used in German than in English.

Layback11

Record Breaker
I think it would be rad if someone wrote speculative fiction about animal domestication. :rock:

(I know it sounds boring, but SERIOUSLY, THOUGH, IMAGINE PEOPLE RIDING DOMESTICATED MOOSE INTO BATTLE AND TELL ME THAT IS NOT AT LEAST SOMEWHAT EPIC.)

Pamigena

Record Breaker

:roll9: I honestly don't have a problem with typos, spell check insanity or people simply making mistakes (it's not like everything I write is always correct). But I'm fairly certain that many times "would of" is not a mistake but more like internet slang. I never noticed this "error" until a few years ago when suddenly it seemed to pop up all over the place. It's an intentional mistake that doesn't even make sense to me, and that totally irritates me.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
If it's the show I'm thinking of, don't worry, the last two seasons weren't so great. More about the triangle with Michael Sheen and his wife, and less of the research and reaction to it (which absent the erotica, I found fascinating. Like the Beau Bridges Allison Janney subplot). In fact I bailed on season three.

If it's not the show you were talking about, this will make no sense whatsoever.:laugh:

It makes sense :agree: :eek::

For me, it was actually the story that I was finding most interesting. I wanted to know how the triangle developed, and whether Bill would ultimately leave Libby for Virginia.

[If anybody feels the urge to tell me what happens... DON'T!!! I am still holding out hope that I will see the rest of it somewhere!]

But I found the Barton storyline disturbing. The things he did to try to hide who he really was. I know it was like that at the time, but it is still so sad the lengths he felt he had to go to.

But for me, the most disturbing thing was his daughter. It was so weird seeing a Power Ranger naked... :eek: (Even though I didn't get into that particular series of Power Rangers, it was still weird!)

And just to prove that I wasn't making up stories to justify watching a naughty programme, here is a photo of my friend that I was talking about. (Best I could find. Because in all the photos of her on Facebook, she is either with other people, or it is a close-up head shot).

Never watched The Game of Thrones or Sherlock:)

Snap.

Not really into detective series. So, never had any inclination to watch Sherlock.

And as for Game of Thrones, it is the sort of thing I would be into, except all the stories I heard about things happening in it and them taking things going too far have put me off.

Hey, a few years back there was a children's TV series that I started watching. It was a fantasy series, and even though I was past the target age range, I thought it was brilliant.

Anyway, I developed a bit of a crush on the leading actress (don't worry, she was 17 at the time).

Unfortunately, Spirit Warriors only lasted one series. And I often wondered what happened the leading actress, Jessica Henwick (All I knew was that one of the other cast members, Lil Simz, was pursuing a career as a singer).

A few weeks ago, I discovered that Jess was now in Game of Thrones. And my first thought was "Oh no. I don't like the sound of her being in that".

I really dread the thought of her doing nude scenes, killing people or being killed herself. :eek:

I just couldn't watch any of those scenarios.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i had duck fat leftover and potatoes... and just made potato chips... at 1am.... ermmm.... super healthy

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
:laugh:

Spellcheck does not give a damn about context. :)

I don't, and dare not, demand good or perfect English from everybody, least of all from myself and others who have learned it as a second, or third or fourth language. I guess some errors are just more obtrusive to some people. For me they're the ones so common that they're generally accepted and not noted as errors by the native users.

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I don't drink coffee at all. Or tea. Or Red Bull. I subsisted through uni on willpower and Vanilla Coke.

We are too alike. I don't drink any of those things either. I live on water (and a mug of milk after my breakfast).

*internalised English nerd screaming*

Would of, could of should of it's all like fingernails down a blackboard. WOULD HAVE, COULD HAVE AND SHOULD HAVE.

The bastardisation of the English language drives me nuts.

Same here.

Getting things gramatically correct is something I try to make a point of doing. And whenever I see bad grammar from a native speaker, I want to throttle the person!

Which is ironic, given that the dialect I speak (Ulster-Scots) would probably drive fans of "the Queen's English" nuts as well... :slink:

I was confounded when I first came across this also. I then figured out what it was ("would've") and that it's a common writing error by native English speakers, who also confuse it's and its, your and you're, etc, because they learn to speak before learning to write so they spell the way the words sound to them.

Never actually thought of it like that, but you are totally right.

Getting back to my local dialect, have you ever seen Ulster-Scots written down?! It tries to spell words the way they sound. But, I don't think it has worked. Because even though I speak it daily, I can't make head nor tail of it when trying to read it! :rolleye: :laugh:

I first came across such errors in a course I paid for and was very upset at the poor English, even feeling cheated. LOL. "Would of" came later. I don't let these kinds of writing bother me as much these days, not that I fully accept them. :)

I don't blame you for being upset. Paying good money to be educated in something, and then finding there were grammatical errors. :mad:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited: