Rippon says top five finish at Worlds is possible | Golden Skate

Rippon says top five finish at Worlds is possible

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I think it's entirely possible and not out of reach. Bit of an uphill climb, knowing his UR issues... panel will be scrutinizing every jumping element, regardless of execution. He would need another performance of a lifetime.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
Well isn't anything possible? I could marry Prince Harry. It's possible, although very unlikely, much like Rippon finishing top 5.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Well isn't anything possible? I could marry Prince Harry. It's possible, although very unlikely, much like Rippon finishing top 5.

Like Verner last World Championships with his tremendous SP. --But his inconsistency caught up with him in the LP.
Still, I wish Adam the best and I hope to see more of what we saw at Nationals. -That was really captivating.

centerpt1

On the Ice
Rippon can have moments of brilliance, though. It COULD happen.

I hope both Rippon and Farris can outrun their history of bad luck.

Both are quality skaters.

Right now, it doesn't look like any US man will be in the top 5 unless there are meltdowns.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
If Adam skates like he did at Nationals it is possible. Call in a hunch or long term skating fan intuition but I think
the US men are going to be fierce and fight for a podium finish. IMO this is the best men's team the US has sent
to Worlds in quite some time. And tbh Adam, Jason and Joshua have the goods to succeed.

LRK

Record Breaker
Well:

"Rippon believes a top-six finish is reasonable, maybe top five. That’s if he can become the first man to land a clean quadruple Lutz at a Worlds and, of course, check off the rest of his elements in two programs."
(Emphasis mine.)

If he pulls that off, then certainly it's a reasonable expectation - he didn't say how likely that was; but if he goes in dobting himself, then he'd be setting himself up for failure.

I wish him the best - And definitely I'd like to see some of that do-or-die spirit from Nationals. If he can recapture that mindset, I think he could do very well indeed.:)

noskates

Record Breaker
Adam has been one of my favorite skaters since the first time I saw him. I find his skating painful to watch because there's always that tremendous talent and presentation and then the inconsistency. IF he could skate like he did at Nationals, or even better, I could definitely see a top 5 finish. I hope hope hope he can keep it together this time.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I'm glad to hear that he's optimistic, he should be. He has the goods and I'll keep my fingers crossed for him.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Call in a hunch or long term skating fan intuition but I think the US men are going to be fierce and fight for a podium finish. IMO this is the best men's team the US has sent to Worlds in quite some time.

ITA... Team USA for the men would be a bit of a challenge for the podium, but not out of reach or a dream -- I may have thought so back in December, though. I feel good about the team the USA has sent to Worlds, and is the best shot at achieving a podium finish for one of them, or hopefully a top 5, at least.

Adam's programs have the technical elements to be competitive in this field, if he can skate his programs well. I still believe Farris has the best chance at a podium finish for the USA -- failing that, there is always Jason's consistency to remain near the top (but probably not top 5...)

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
If Adam skates like he did at Nationals it is possible. Call in a hunch or long term skating fan intuition but I think
the US men are going to be fierce and fight for a podium finish. IMO this is the best men's team the US has sent
to Worlds in quite some time. And tbh Adam, Jason and Joshua have the goods to succeed.

Im cautiously optimistic as well. I think we have a good group of guys that get along and support eachother. They also get to practice with Misha Ge (Misha and Jason on Ice at the same time, so much energy id be tired just watching). So they likely will be in good moods and spirits.

Jason and Josh have been doing this together for years, so there is that familiarity factor. Adam seems to be enjoying his grown man fetus role and I could see him relishing the chance to take the young ones under his wings and encourage everyone to cheer on everyone.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
If he skates his FS like at Nationals and other skaters bomb, he has an extremely slim chance at a top 5. Unfortunately, I anticipate him getting << on his 4Z in the SP which would bury him. If he manages a 4Z< and stays on his feet, he could put himself in contention for a top 6. Unfortunately he simply doesn't get the PCS scores that the other guys do, which is unfortunate since he's a lovely skater to watch.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
He has to believe he can do it or there's no point in trying. I don't know where he will place, but I would love it if he is the top-ranked US man, and if he gets that 4lz ratified I will be thrilled for him. I appreciate skaters that don't play it safe.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Rippon can have moments of brilliance, though. It COULD happen.

I hope both Rippon and Farris can outrun their history of bad luck.

Both are quality skaters.

Right now, it doesn't look like any US man will be in the top 5 unless there are meltdowns.

Ahem. Here is the SB list with anyone not competing at Worlds removed. Josh is number 4 on the list (2nd number is SB ranking number), Jason number 9, Adam number 13. Jason also got his score with a bad SP at 4CCs, with a clean SP his total could easily be ~10 higher and his FS was not even perfect at 4CCs either. Adam if he skates like he did at Nationals could be moving way up the list too. Mura is also at #6 right now but has not been skating so fabulously as of late. So I definitely think top 5 is possible for any of the US guys. Doesn't mean it will happen, but the numbers suggest it could.

1-1 289.46 Denis TEN
2-2 288.16 Yuzuru HANYU
3-4 265.01 Javier FERNANDEZ
4-5 260.01 Joshua FARRIS
5-6 259.47 Han YAN
6-9 255.81 Takahito MURA
7-10 252.00 Sergei VORONOV
8-11 243.35 Maxim KOVTUN
9-12 243.21 Jason BROWN
10-13 241.23 Michal BREZINA
11-15 238.05 Misha GE
12-18 232.24 Nam NGUYEN
13-24 225.42 Adam RIPPON

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Not going to happen since he insists on planning a 4Lz<<.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
I wish two superb, clean rock solid skates for Adam. He has been around a while now and he works hard and he has the talent. I think it is good that Ashley will be there, she was at Nationals and Adam did well, she wasn't at 4CC and Adam did not do well. I think maybe she helps him, in some capacity. Having your best buddy there with you, supporting you can have a tremendous effect.
I am a huge fan of his saitng whether he lands 1, 3, 5, or 20th.
Adam is the only skater that reminds me of Michelle Kwan, I wish him all the best.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Please. Michelle Kwan was one of the most consistent skaters ever. Adam is one of the most inconsistent.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Good luck to Adam. He has two really strong programs, and I'd love to see them skated well.

Not sure about Top 5 finish. But anything can happen in the current men's field.

Not going to happen since he insists on planning a 4Lz<<.
I don't think Adam has much of a choice. Unlike Jason, he won't earn the necessary GOE/PCS for an all-triple skate. His triple axel is unreliable, and even his Rippon lutz doesn't seem to get much GOE love these days. If he wants to fight for that Top 5, he needs the 4Lz. Sure, it could send him spiralling down to 20th place... but what could an all-triple skate give him? 10th place? At this point in his career, it's go big or go home.

I know COP is a numbers game rather than an overall impressions game... but, well, you still don't want the judges to zone out during your skate. Adam probably wants to come in as "the only guy to try 4Lz," not as "random midpack skater with limited content." As long as Adam can stand up on the 4Lz (even if it's <<), it makes a good overall impression for his GOE and PCS. (Contrasting, say, Jason's 4T<< would only make a bad impression, since numerous top contenders will be landing 4Ts.)