Russian article on Irina (not good news) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Russian article on Irina (not good news)

Vash01

Medalist
I was afraid all along that something like this was going to happen. Her health has always been a question mark and it may have gone bad at the worst time. I really hope she can recover in time and skates two great programs in Torino.

All the best Irina! Get well soon!

Vash

havanamesa1

Rinkside
She should stay home and rest. The Olympics is not worth risking your life for; that is, if you're really sick.

havanamesa1

Rinkside
Kwanford Wife said:
Thank you Ptichka...

Wow... this sounds more serious than I orignally thought... very concerning and scary. I hope she's receiving proper medical care and is up & about very soon!!!

How much do you bet that this "sick" skater will be up and running by SP time, with more energy and power than any other skater (even the healthiest ones), and with her ugly and sloppy skating, will still win the OGM? :biggrin:

ladybug

On the Ice
Didn't she have somewhat of a set back during Europeans last year also? She was able to make a great recovery in time for World's. I think maybe she has been pushing too hard.

If it is just the flu, she will be 100% by the time she has to skate for the Ladies Short program and will be able to make up for any lost time off the ice.

Here's hoping both Irina and Michelle make excellent recoveries in time for the Olympics.

If this is a relapse of the vaculitus, then I am definitely sorry for Irina's illness and hope they get her back to gold medal shape.

If it is some malady like a bad cold, it could be psychosomatic which affects all skaters. The upcoming Olys can have skaters in a nervous state even if they are not aware of that. Nervous states affect the immune system. this is not a diagnosis but a general belief by the public.

Joe

Shanti

On the Ice
havanamesa1 said:
How much do you bet that this "sick" skater will be up and running by SP time, with more energy and power than any other skater (even the healthiest ones), and with her ugly and sloppy skating, will still win the OGM? :biggrin:

Wow. What a disgustingly tasteless post.

Disgusting and tasteless, yes. But I hope his prediction is right, that Irina will be fully recovered and will skate with the energy and power that have become her trademark. :)

millie

Medalist
There is a report that today Irina was a guest on a morning T.V. show in Russia and she didn't look sick at all. After Lyon she had a fever from a cold. Everything looks good now, according to the report.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
havanamesa1 said:

Stop it... Irina's condition goes beyond winning a medal and shouldn't be subjected to snarking.

JanJam

Rinkside
havanamesa1 said:

Yeah, here's goes the drama queen again. Maybe during the Olympics, we'll hear that her neighbor's dog died, and she'll be skating in honor of that dog and that the gold medal she'll be receiving will mean so much to that dog's owner because Irina will be able to donate some money so that the dog owner can buy a new, more expensive pet... Or she'll be down with some major stomach pain... or cough... or whatever illness is available out there.

This "sick-of-this-sick-of-that-what-drama-is-next" (thanks, havanamesa1) GIMMICK is getting very old...

JanJam

Rinkside
Mathman said:
... But I hope his prediction is right, that Irina will be fully recovered and will skate with the energy and power that have become her trademark. :)

Yes, Irina WILL skate with power and all that, but she WON'T recover. You don't "recover" from something you never had. She'll be her usual strong and healthy self.

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I make is a point not to respond to baseless offensive remarks, and I won't make an exception this time either...

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
havanamesa1 said:
How tacky.

R.D.

Record Breaker
ladybug said:
Didn't she have somewhat of a set back during Europeans last year also? She was able to make a great recovery in time for World's. I think maybe she has been pushing too hard.

If it is just the flu, she will be 100% by the time she has to skate for the Ladies Short program and will be able to make up for any lost time off the ice.

Here's hoping both Irina and Michelle make excellent recoveries in time for the Olympics.

Remember the Olys are a month SOONER than Worlds...it's not the same.

R.D.

Record Breaker
millie said:
There is a report that today Irina was a guest on a morning T.V. show in Russia and she didn't look sick at all. After Lyon she had a fever from a cold. Everything looks good now, according to the report.

Then it's going to be ok then. Why all the worry?

JanJam

Rinkside
millie said:
There is a report that today Irina was a guest on a morning T.V. show in Russia and she didn't look sick at all... Everything looks good now, according to the report.

Told ya so! :biggrin:

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
havanamesa1 said:

How bad words...and how bad thinking...
Liked you-or not,Irina is the best and I don't see why her skating is "ugly and slooppy" ?????? And why do I think so? Because she simply is the Champion and she can't compare with any other "sick or health" skater! Because even sick, she is better then ANYONE! Go,Go,Ira!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

And you, havanamesa1, keep your opinion for yourself...nobody likes posts like your is.

jciskate

Spectator
I don't think her skating is ugly. She's a very strong skater especially with her illness. But she does not have fluent skating. She not lyrical at all. And there tends to be some sloppyness.

KelyScot

Spectator
This is truly not the greatest of news for Irina. I am of course a die hard Michelle Kwan fan but I also enjoy Irina and respect her as a skater and the respect she has for Michelle. . they seem to be great friend off the ice. Here is to a speedy recovery for Irina and a great competition between the ladies.
Gold - Kwan
Silver - Slutskaya
Bronze - anyone but Sascha

Obviously not a Sascha Cohen fan. . sorry

jciskate, thanks for joining in. Welcome to the Forum :)

KlyScott, welcome to Golden Skate. Hey, maybe Sasha will give such a pretty performance in Torino that she will win you over. :)

Mathman