Russian vs. Japanese Nationals coverage | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Russian vs. Japanese Nationals coverage

CarolPooh

Rinkside
Oh, thank you! I've vaguely heard of Bilibili, it seems to be the most popular video sharing platform in China these days. Is it possible to search for videos of specific skaters by typing in English? I sometimes don't know the Chinese transliterations of foreign skaters' names.

Do you have the url? I have a downloading program that usually will work for bilibili, maybe I can save and make it available on a private just for forum fen basis... not if the owner of the account asks that people don't download, however.

I'm not sure why the difference last year, maybe the pandemic has made Fuji extra protective of the domestic ratings for what sports events it has (and this one, with their Big Three Yuzuru, Shoma and Rika having their first skate all year, would have been expected to rate over the moon). I don;t know whether they or JSF are to blame for the blanket ban on fancams and fan photos, but that is another symptom of the "my preccioussssssss" tone they take (I wanna know who gets a cut of the myriad of skating magazines in Japan, and how many they will manage to eke out of this one event.)

Do NBC have broadcast rights and therefore a a say over the USNats access? It would explain - not excuse, it's totally shortsighted - why these two countries are the problem, if they are the ones whose Fed signed away rights for money (okay, NBC aren't looking at the same ratings but they would be even more protective of what they have). Again, the TV stations wouldn't give a rats about growing the sport internationally, just what they could get short-term domestically. It's on the federations.

I only have links to the full competition:
Men sp

Men fp

Ladies sp

Ladies fp

Ice dance

MOI

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
I'm disappointed to see not a single comment about the quality of the coverage itself, which I thought Fuji-TV did a fabulous job in taking figure skating analysis and presentation to the next level.

For all the money that Fuji-TV pumps into the sport, I think they have earned the right to do whatever they want with their coverage.

Tonight's the Night

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Does anyone have a sense for what kind of money NBC Sports (or a Japanese broadcaster) could make just from getting views on youtube? Isn't there advertising revenue to be gained from that? Mariah's skate from the 2020 U.S. Nationals, for example, has 600+ thousand views. (Yulia's 2014 Schindler's List has 16.5 million -- the Olympic channel.)

Is this significantly less money than the money they can get from subscribers to their cable TV packages? I would guess so, but I'm curious if there's any way of making a "back of the envelope" calculation. (That is, a quick estimate.)

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker

Thanks! But are these all the links that are available? Men SP for example, starts from group 3, with Miura, so it's not the full competition :[ Much better than nothing, but maybe there's a first half somewhere on bilibili? Btw does anyone know which of the screen symbols is for full screen viewing?

I'm disappointed to see not a single comment about the quality of the coverage itself, which I thought Fuji-TV did a fabulous job in taking figure skating analysis and presentation to the next level.

For all the money that Fuji-TV pumps into the sport, I think they have earned the right to do whatever they want with their coverage.

Hard to comment on the quality of something one cannot watch. What good is it to FS overall if this high-level analysing is only done in Japan, in Japanese, and blocked for the rest of the world? Good for Fuji, fans in Japan, and the lucky ones who know how to watch for free during a trial period, but bad for FS overall.
I'd also love to know what the quality coverages looked like in Japan. One video I saw briefly online on YT before it was deleted, showed nothing in place of my favorite skater's bows/slowmo/analysis/most of KnC - probably there was a commercial break and then just shots of the grinning face of one of the main favorites preparing by the boards. If this is what was shown on TV, then I wouldn't call that quality. Sorry but Russia wins this one big time for me as they covered everyone equally.
And I suspect you would speak otherwise if you were among those who can't watch even a crumb of Nats.
Also, it's not like ice coverage and jump data are this year's invention, I recall having seen them before.

Last edited:

CarolPooh

Rinkside
Thanks! But are these all the links that are available? Men SP for example, starts from group 3, with Miura, so it's not the full competition :[ Much better than nothing, but maybe there's a first half somewhere on bilibili? Btw does anyone know which of the screen symbols is for full screen viewing?

You can choose the "episode" (e.g. 1-2, 1-4) on the right/underneath. Then you will find the earlier groups.

Regarding the full screen, it should be on the bottom right hand corner of the video.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
You can choose the "episode" (e.g. 1-2, 1-4) on the right/underneath. Then you will find the earlier groups.

Regarding the full screen, it should be on the bottom right hand corner of the video.
:thank:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Does anyone have a sense for what kind of money NBC Sports (or a Japanese broadcaster) could make just from getting views on youtube? Isn't there advertising revenue to be gained from that? Mariah's skate from the 2020 U.S. Nationals, for example, has 600+ thousand views. ....

Mariah's 2020 Nats FS is an example of the figure skating highlights that NBC Sports does put on YouTube. It obviously was a good choice.

Near the top of the video description is a link to NBC Sports Gold, which of course was a good idea too.
"Mariah Bell finally has her 'Hallelujah' moment at the 2020 U.S. Figure Skating Championships, skating an incredible program that landed her on the podium and nearly brought Adam Rippon to tears #NBCSports #MariahBell #FigureSkating
Want more figure skating? Check out NBC Sports Gold: https://www.nbcsports.com/gold/figure... "

If NBC Sports had provided a three-hour YouTube video of the full Ladies FS at 2020 Nats (all 18 ladies), how many views would it have received? My guess: Far fewer than 600,000.
And if NBC had been known to provide full competition video on YouTube, would fewer people have paid the yearly subscription fee for an NBC Sports Gold figure skating pass? My guess: Yes.

(BTW, U.S. Figure Skating Fan Zone recently [AFAIK] added full competition video for major events from the 2017-18 season. Although I of course am happy that the video now is available there, it came as a surprise to me.)

Last edited:

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand

Just curious, how do you find the Japanese commentary (FujiTV or anywhere else)? In terms of speaking style and subject matter is it more like B.Eurosport uncles, NBC Johnny and Tara (or old style Dick Button), CBC Kurt/Carol/the extras, ISU Ted Barton or perhaps others?

Sadly I've forgotten a lot of the small amount of Japanese I learnt. Still, I notice and like that they usually don't talk much during the skate itself, apart from an occasional habit of naming each element after it happens (which is a bit redundant if it's listed elsewhere onscreen).

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And if NBC had been known to provide full competition video on YouTube, would fewer people have paid the yearly subscription fee for an NBC Sports Gold figure skating pass? My guess: Yes.

And as I said earlier, I do believe Fuji are planning to run repeat shows (probably with different fluff to fill the gaps) later on, so from their marketing perspective it makes sense to restrict access beforehand. They did it for the ice shows in previous years, especially Fantasy on Ice.

Japan and the US TV networks have diametrically opposed situations audience- and interest-wise, Russia is sort of in the middle I guess? As in skating (especially the draaaama-filled ladies) is very popular but by not one of the country's biggest passions. And Rusfred and the Chinese have government funding, so don't need to give the networks first say so much (I wonder if the US Nats will be put up on bilibili? Their stars do have Chinese fans, if not as many. We could check it out when those videos start vanishing off youtube too).

Wynter

On the Ice
Just curious, how do you find the Japanese commentary (FujiTV or anywhere else)? In terms of speaking style and subject matter is it more like B.Eurosport uncles, NBC Johnny and Tara (or old style Dick Button), CBC Kurt/Carol/the extras, ISU Ted Barton or perhaps others?

Sadly I've forgotten a lot of the small amount of Japanese I learnt. Still, I notice and like that they usually don't talk much during the skate itself, apart from an occasional habit of naming each element after it happens (which is a bit redundant if it's listed elsewhere onscreen).

IMHO, their commentary tends to be more formal and business-like. They rarely talk during the performance (for all skaters and not just some), which I appreciate so much. The commentator usually will mention the performed element with 1-2 praise words afterward. They will be more talkative after the performance, usually to discuss slo-mo performed elements.

Azikin

Medalist
Japanese commentary is awful, they have to comment on every single element like machines and not letting us enjoy the music and performance. I'll take Ted over this any time. Not to mention the funny pronunciation of the English words.. :wink:

milkgirl

On the Ice
I`m not a fan of Barton`s comments, esp. with Rus Nats. Don`t like the multiple repeats of phrases like : What a depth.. Such a bright future. These are no junior competitions. He should have stayed in the international competitions.

katymay

Medalist
Mariah's 2020 Nats FS is an example of the figure skating highlights that NBC Sports does put on YouTube. It obviously was a good choice.

Near the top of the video description is a link to NBC Sports Gold, which of course was a good idea too.
"Mariah Bell finally has her 'Hallelujah' moment at the 2020 U.S. Figure Skating Championships, skating an incredible program that landed her on the podium and nearly brought Adam Rippon to tears #NBCSports #MariahBell #FigureSkating
Want more figure skating? Check out NBC Sports Gold: https://www.nbcsports.com/gold/figure... "

If NBC Sports had provided a three-hour YouTube video of the full Ladies FS at 2020 Nats (all 18 ladies), how many views would it have received? My guess: Far fewer than 600,000.

(BTW, U.S. Figure Skating Fan Zone recently [AFAIK] added full competition video for major events from the 2017-18 season. Although I of course am happy that the video now is available there, it came as a surprise to me.)
I am looking for this-2017-2018 and can't find it-? It seems lilke much stuff like this is buried somewhere on the site. LOL

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I am looking for this-2017-2018 and can't find it-? It seems lilke much stuff like this is buried somewhere on the site. LOL

It is easy enough to find, IMO.

Start on home page https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com.
Look at drop-down menu under "VIDEO"' on bar at top of home page, and select "VIDEO CORNER."
(Or to reach the Video Corner page, use this URL: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/watch.)

On the Video Corner page, look below the video box and click on "On Demand" (as opposed to "Live").
Look at drop-down menu under "All Categories."
As of now, the first five choices on the menu are 2019 events (including 2019 U.S. Classic, BTW).
Next is 2017 U.S. Classic.
Then 2017 Skate America; the other five 2017 GPs; 2017 GPF.
Then 2018 Euros; 2018 Four Continents; 2018 Worlds.
To find 2018 U.S. Nationals, keep scrolling down. "2018 U.S. Figure Skating Championships" is near the end of a long list of 2018 domestic U.S. events (a mixture including regional, sectional, synchro sectional, adult, challenge skate, collegiate).

(I do not know whether or not the Fan Zone menu would be different for someone outside the U.S.?
I am in the U.S.)

Last edited:

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Japanese commentary is awful, they have to comment on every single element like machines and not letting us enjoy the music and performance.
The broadcasts generally have a second audio channel (副音声) that is only the sound in the arena, with zero commentary. You just don't see video with that audio channel posted on YouTube very often.

Since the viewer can choose a purely non-commentary experience, it makes sense to have the commentary audio channel be as comprehensive as possible.

katymay

Medalist
It is easy enough to find, IMO.

Start on home page https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com.
Look at drop-down menu under "VIDEO"' on bar at top of home page, and select "VIDEO CORNER."
(Or to reach the Video Corner page, use this URL: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/watch.)

On the Video Corner page, look below the video box and click on "On Demand" (as opposed to "Live").
Look at drop-down menu under "All Categories."
As of now, the first five choices on the menu are 2019 events (including 2019 U.S. Classic, BTW).
Next is 2017 U.S. Classic.
Then 2017 Skate America; the other five 2017 GPs; 2017 GPF.
Then 2018 Euros; 2018 Four Continents; 2018 Worlds.
To find 2018 U.S. Nationals, keep scrolling down. "2018 U.S. Figure Skating Championships" is near the end of a long list of 2018 domestic U.S. events (a mixture including regional, sectional, synchro sectional, adult, challenge skate, collegiate).

(I do not know whether or not the Fan Zone menu would be different for someone outside the U.S.?
I am in the U.S.)
Thank you! I'm in the US, just having a hell of a time finding this content. Got it now!