Russia's Sergei Voronov 'not done' | Golden Skate

Russia's Sergei Voronov 'not done'

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Russia’s Sergei Voronov, who turned 27 on October 3, is one of the older figure skaters on the circuit, but he did not consider retirement following the Olympic season.

More

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Nice article. I like his sense of humour about the other older stars like Plushenko. lol He had a pretty good attitude even at Europeans this year when themedia asked about how it felt to win Euro silver and not go to the olympics. With some luck and breaks he could steal a world medal though it will be hard.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I find it nearly impossible not to root for Sergei. Good luck to him this season. :thumbsup:

A big thank you to GS for all of these great articles and the work being put into them.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
He is such a hard worker, a lovely person and one of the most underrated skaters, imo. Konstantin as well. I hope they both get the success they deserve this season.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I'm glad there are some older skaters left in competition. I hope he can get another medal in Europeans and get to Worlds this year.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I love to see these interviews with older skaters! I did wonder how Voronov managed in Eteri's group with all those immensely talented youngsters! I take it is Moscow traffic that causes his drive to.the rink to be two hours long?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I have to admit to a bit of a soft spot for Voronov. My dream Russian Nationals podium this year is Gachinski, Menshov and Voronov. RuFed Rejects unite!

unico

Final Flight
I have to admit to a bit of a soft spot for Voronov. My dream Russian Nationals podium this year is Gachinski, Menshov and Voronov. RuFed Rejects unite!
Haha, I'm the exact same. I'm not exactly in Kovtun's camp yet.

hanca

Record Breaker

Me too, but there is also Aidan Pitkeev and you can't have four medals!
I wouldn't mind with Kovtun being off podium because from those five skaters I like his skating least, but let's face it, it is not going to happen!

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Me too, but there is also Aidan Pitkeev and you can't have four medals!
I wouldn't mind with Kovtun being off podium because from those five skaters I like his skating least, but let's face it, it is not going to happen!

I'm with you guys! I do think Adian can wait his turn at least until next year, if someone (besides Kovtun...in my dreams he won't make it, lol) has to be left out...sorry Adian!

Meoima

Match Penalty
I count five people all have the same thought about Russian men. :popcorn:, including me. How fun!

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I count five people all have the same thought about Russian men. :popcorn:, including me. How fun!

If Plushenko comes back in 2016 as he plans, and with Petrov most likely going senior next season...what are we going to do then? It will be a bloodbath!

viennaskater

Medalist
I can't believe Plushenko will come back in 2016. I hope not! His behaviour was not good in Sochi.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker

Make that five and two-thirds (Menshov & Voronov for me, not sure who I'd like to see get bronze...) ;)

viennaskater

Medalist
Yes, and I was also gratified to see both him and Menshov perform well at the Europeans this year. I feel a bit sorry for both these guys. Either they've been passed over in favour of other skaters, or they've been hampered by injury. I remember Sergei having to withdraw from the Grand Prix a couple of seasons ago because he injured himself during the short program.

Meoima

Match Penalty
My dream podium at GPF
Javi (because it's his home ice)
Voronov
Yuzuru

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
My dream podium at GPF
Javi (because it's his home ice)
Voronov
Yuzuru

I like this podium! I wouldn't mind Tatsuki getting a medal, either, though. It would be a true miracle if both Voronov and Hanyu make the podium (based on Hanyu's recent condition...and because I don't want him to be overscored & subject to more criticism), but we can always dream.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I like this podium! I wouldn't mind Tatsuki getting a medal, either, though. It would be a true miracle if both Voronov and Hanyu make the podium (based on Hanyu's recent condition...and because I don't want him to be overscored & subject to more criticism), but we can always dream.
To be fair, Yuzuru in his current condition, it's not easy for him to get even the bronze. He is on the same boat as Han Yan. In their interview they both said that they couldn't help but feeling unsafe and unstable at the warm up. They both feel hesitate and insecure whenever they take off a jump because they feel like there's someone behind their backs. It's trauma and I highly doubt that Yuzuru can overcome it within 10 days. Not to mention his thigh and ankle has not fully healed.

But for sure more competitions will help Yuzuru regain his competitive senses. We shouldn't expect strong performance from Yuzuru at this point. When he's still mentally and physically troubled. Out of all these guys, Yuzuru is the most vulnerable at the moment.

But who knows... Men field is unpredictable. I am not surprised if the podium turn out to be as my dream.

Last edited: