Sasha ... a question mark for Worlds? | Golden Skate

Sasha ... a question mark for Worlds?

flowjo35

On the Ice
I think Sasha will be at worlds. With some of the top contenders out, this is a good opportunity for her to get that world title.

Thanks for the post, Nymkfan.

Wow. This sport is really a killer. Sasha has been plagued by minor injuries all year. I don't know what to think. I wonder what the "source" is that supplied this informatin to the newspaper.

If Sasha opts out, I guess Bebe is next in line, ahead of Katy?

So it's Rule 378 that's keeping Irina out. I wonder if the Russian federation is kicking itself for not slipping her name in there as an alternate, like they did with Plushenko, just in case.

Go Calgary Roughnecks lacrosse team!

Mathman

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
well, no matter how bad she may want it, if she's hurt, she can't perform. It's that simple.

She was barely able to practice at the Olympics. But she still pulled out a great SP and an LP that would probably be good enough to win Worlds, even with a couple of mistakes.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Remember, though, that at Worlds there's also the Qualifying Round to skate. It's more demanding in the sense you have to skate an extra LP. She may not be able to get through that now.

nymkfan51

Medalist
Red Dog said:
Remember, though, that at Worlds there's also the Qualifying Round to skate. It's more demanding in the sense you have to skate an extra LP. She may not be able to get through that now.

That's a great point, Red Dog. I've always hated that part of Worlds ... way too demanding on the skaters, even when they're healthy.
I wonder if we will hear any more from the American media on this ... and when.
The alternate will need to know fairly soon, I would think. BTW, is that Katy or Bebe?

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think Katy is the first alternate.

Well, remember all that speculation about Katy pulling out of Junior Worlds...some people thought she might be doing it to train for Senior Worlds in case she's needed? Maybe she was aware of this injury before? Maybe the American press won't say anything until she (SC) actually pulls out. Remember that after the Olympics they don't care about skating any more. Plus, that was a Canadian newspaper- they're the ones hosting the event, so makes sense.

CDMM1991

Medalist
Yes, I believe Katy is the first alternate because she said in one of her journals that she'll be ready to go to worlds if need be, but she had to pull out of junior worlds because of boot problems that held up her training.

Katy is the first alternate based on her 4th place finish at U.S. Nationals, one place ahead of Bebe. (This is a little unclear on the ISU site because the two U.S. alternates are just listed alphabetically.)

Yeah, it sure looks like someone dropped the word to Katy to "be ready" a la Emily Hughes.

MM

CDMM1991

Medalist
As much as I love Sasha, and want to see her get that elusive gold medal, it might be the most exciting worlds we've seen in awhile if she's not there. It would be a completely open contest. Joannie, Fumie, Kimmie, Elene: any of them could win it all.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
Well, remember all that speculation about Katy pulling out of Junior Worlds...some people thought she might be doing it to train for Senior Worlds in case she's needed? Maybe she was aware of this injury before?
Taylor mentioned in her Feb. 27th journal entry that she already had airline tickets for Junior Worlds (I assume this included her mother's which comes out of the Taylors' pocket and not USFS'), so she had intended to go to Slovenia if she could -- see:
http://www.figureskatersonline.com/katytaylor/journal.html

Vash01

Medalist
My gut feeling is that Sasha WILL be at worlds. IMO people are just a little too worried because of some withdrawals by top skaters, and they are trying to project. There is no report of a new injury to Sasha. She was able to skate well at the Olympics. I cannot imagine her giving up on a chance to finally become a world champion.

Vash

R.D.

Record Breaker
I don't know. The article says "A source", not specifying where the source came from. But if it wasn't a reliable source (like not from someone inside her "camp" or from another media person) I don't see why they would publish it and cause unnecessary speculation. I think that if it's in there, there's reason to think that the comment didn't just come from someone's head.

Then again, some articles have been misleading before...

nymkfan51

Medalist
I agree Red Dog. This is a Canadian newspaper, and I can't imagine that they would print a story about Sasha possibly not being there unless they heard something substantial. It only hurts their event for yet another Olympic medalist to withdraw.

heyang

Record Breaker
The article really isn't very specific. Anyone can speculate that she might be fighting injuries. However, I did see her on Regis and Kelly and thought 'Why's she on the East Coast instead of training for World's?' I realize that she has promotional duties, which are also buzz words for 'not enough training time'. She wouldn't be the 1st Olympian to bypass World's after the Olympics.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Regis and Kelly are in Los Angeles, I think...?

So are Kimmel and Jay Leno (Burbank).

Hollywood is also in SoCal, so she stayed home I believe.

M

mylastduchess

Regis and Kelly was on Los Angeles for that week Sasha was on, but its true that they noramly shoot in New York!