Sasha Cohen should be a PAIR SKATER...now hear me out please! (:^) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sasha Cohen should be a PAIR SKATER...now hear me out please! (:^)

Nadine

Record Breaker
Hi Joesitz :) (btw sorry about continuing on w/this thread but I don't know how to start a new one while at the same time quoting you)...

Joesitz said:
Nadine = this is my personal feeling about Pairs. Nothing against what you said because so many posters have used that phrase for other skaters.

ME: yes, I understand, I too have noticed that one tends to use this phrase when it seems that a skater can't land the jumps in singles & therefore should switch to pairs. And as a matter of fact I used this same phrase for two of my favorite skaters.........Jennifer Kirk (at the beginning of the season) & now for Sasha Cohen..........and I haven't changed my mind b/c I honestly hold both disciplines in the same high regard (no lie). To do both would be even better! :love:

But, it's just not my opinion, but fact, that Pairs happens to be an exquisite artistic event in figure skating,

ME: ITA! No lie. In fact, I sincerely & honestly believe that when done right, it's the most beautiful of ALL three disciplines (no b.s.).......reminiscent of a painting........in particular one that I has fascinated me since I first laid eyes on it some years ago (though I'm drawing from memory now b/c I didn't have the $$$ to purchase it). It was a lovely painting done in pastels by a French artist ~ a man & a woman skating as one ~ back in the Grecian Times. Both were wearing ancient skates (the kind that curl up at the end w/leather straps is all), and adorned in diaphanous clothing......similar to a toga but much much more exquisite......and they appeared to be skating in the clouds or heaven. She, with her long flowing locks down past her waist (reminiscent of a Pre-Raphaelite Beauty), trailing behind in the wind, he with his arm around her while moving as one across the clouds. It truly was a sight to behold (hard to describe, more about the emotion). And it has always reminded me of Dick Button's famous quote about pairs (in particular when he was referring to G&G back in 1993) ~ "two shall skate as one".

and when I read someone say that Naomi Nori Nan should switch to Pairs; or Jenny Kirk should switch to Pairs, without any explanation of why they should do so. I'm reading into it that the poster is saying that the skater should go to an easier discipline. Not so! I have skated both myself.

ME: si, ITA! I didn't mean to offend (btw I take my hat off to you in regards to skating both, I am honestly in awe, no lie). And I agree that pairs is not an easier discipline than singles. In fact, it is thee most difficult of ALL three disciplines. Too bad not many people know or acknowledge this. And I think where this ignorance comes in is b/c pairs does not require as many solo triple jumps as singles, and pairs also doesn't include the harder triples (i.e. axel, lutz, & flip). However, that is beginning to change......Abitbol & Bernadis completed the throw-triple axel at the 1998 Olympics during their FS (just a step-out on Sarah's part) and Shen & Zhao completed the throw-quadruple toe at the 2002 Olympics (unfortunately Shen fell immediately afterwards)......and G&G completed the split-quadruple twist during competition way back in the late 1980's (however since the judges didn't notice & they didn't receive credit, they never did it again). And now, at 2004 US Nationals, two couples tried the throw-triple flip ~ Don & Hunt and Orscher & Lucash. But setting aside the jumps & throws, the lifts, unison skating, spins and twists are equally hard (just not acknowledged). To have to do this all in synchronization with another is way way more difficult than doing it solo/alone. ***Note: I think another reason why the general public perceives it to be easier is b/c even Katia Gordeeva stated in her book ("My Sergei") that, in Russia, when one can't make it in singles due to not being a strong jumper, one goes to pairs. She stated that in regards to both she & Sergei (pp. 24 & 28). Anyhow, I think this might also be a contributing factor to why pairs is generally perceived as the easier discipline. JMHO***

Kristi Yamaguchi did both and did both well. It came to a point where a decision had to be made. Only she could make that decision. And, imo, a decision doesn't have to be made. Let the skater decide what to do.

ME: yes, I took & take my hat off to Kristi being able to do both......phenomenal......and she excelled in both to top it all off! However, I recall reading that she eventually decided that she had to make a decision one way or the other b/c she felt she could not keep it up.......too tiring........especially with the Olympics approaching. Thus, she chose singles b/c she felt she had a better chance of success at the Olympics in this discipline rather than pairs, especially taking into account the dominance of the Russians in the latter.

If you are really serious about a change for Sasha (I do not share that change), then what male skater would you insist change to Pairs whether he wants to or not?

ME: remember, this is in my dream world (lol :D ), and in a prior post I already stated whom I would like to skate with Sasha. Btw, I would like to clarify that it doesn't have to be now.......since the Olympics is only 2 yrs. away........I would suggest a decision be made after the next Olympics. She'll only be 21 yrs. old at the time, not too late to change disciplines. In fact, another plus with pairs is that pairs' skaters are generally of an older age (at least compared to singles) and can skate longer. The guys even compete into their early 30's & the ladies into their late 20's. ***Note: I'm all for Sasha doing both, if she'd like to. Btw, over the years I've gotten the impression that Sasha is sincerely interested in this discipline (no lie).*** :)

Your suggestion is incomplete, imo. Perhaps you can elaborate on it.

ME: I hope I have clarified myself to you, Joesitz. If not, please elaborate more on what you would like me to do in order for you to better understand my suggestion. Thanks in advance. :)^)

Peace & Love, Nadine

P.S. imanta, :) yes, it is Sheryl Crow.....I have her CD(s) in my collection.....I'm eclectic, love all kinds of music, from classical to punk rock. :)^)