Short Dance Play-By-Play

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
2018 Winter Olympics - Figure Skating
ICE DANCE
SHORT DANCE​

Mansourova / Ceska (CZE)

Fairly good unison through the midline non-touching step and adequate twizzle sequence (should be Level 4). Rhumba pattern could have been fullerA bit of two-foot skating in the partial step sequence, but a neat head-wrapping lift to end the short dance.

A fair performance, nothing too flashy or terribly deficient. They could get into their knees more, have tighter holds, and emphasize that beat more often.

Last edited by a moderator:

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Nazarova / Nikitin (UKR)

Relatively full rhumba pattern. Some of the edges in the partial step could be on clearer edges. Really nice spread eagle lift in constant motion, though a little bit of a rough exit. Twizzle not done terribly fast, but good sync (second twizzle might give them trouble on the level). Decent midline step.

I like this couple's opening, and the program had good speed. I think they hit most of the key points in the pattern, though the other elements might drop in some levels. They have quality edgework at times and they have some pizzazz. Definitely got potential here.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Lorenz / Polizoakis (GER)

Fine unison in the step sequence and safe edging but it could be a bit faster. Alright rhumba pattern which could have deeper curves. Alright edging in the partial step which could have quicker turns. A bit out of sync in the last two sets of the twizzles but wonderful first set. Decent rotational lift to end.

I felt that their movement could be fuller, particularly the hip action, and that they could emphasize the beat more. Their edging leaned on more of the safe and secure side which should give them the nod in the technical department. Nicely done.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Tankova / Zilberberg (POL)

Alright sync through the twizzles. Steps in the rhumba pattern could be on much stronger edges. A bit slow through the partial step with a bit of struggle in the holds. Midline step wasn't terribly difficult and could have started closer to the boards, as they fought quite a bit to get as many steps in the second half. Good headwrap lift, though (seeing quite a few of those).

An okay performance. Their levels will suffer a bit since their edges are a bit weaker and their holds are not as secure. I wish they had more lean into the edges, not so flat, and had more interesting choreography.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Zagorski / Guerreiro (OAR)

Great speed through the twizzles that filled the rink, could have problem on the second twizzle on the level (just a Level 3). Rhumba pattern was fairly secure, graded at at having three correct points. Interesting stationary lift. Better phrasing and holds than we've seen so far. Nice curves through the midline step to end the program.

Really like the bounce and vigor that this team has. They have solid speed across the ice in all of their elements and they've got good hip action and close holds. Some of their positions could be more refined and have better body lines, but they've got a great future for the next four years.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Lauriault / Le Gac (FRA)

No problem through the twizzles, good sync and rotation. Partial step sequence could have filled the rink more and be faster (only a level 2). Rhumba pattern could have deeper curves (Level 2). A bit simple midline step sequence. But nice and high cartwheel into the rotational lift with good centrifugal force.

This program needed a bit more dimension - the rhumba could be sexier and the samba could have more spunk. But really nice lift and twizzles.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Hurtado / Khaliavin (SPN)

Fast rotation through the twizzles. Really working the edges through the midline step. Nicely timed rhumba sequence with good edgework, nice Level 4. Good snap in the partial step to the beat and strong tension between them. Quick rotation in the ending lift.

Well, that was hot! A simmering sort of energy and cool Santana music choices which makes the program quite modern. I'm not sure if this will go ahead of the Russians but I like this slightly better.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Agafonova / Ucar (TUR)

Good sync through the twizzles, no problem (Level 4). Not a fan of the sudden change of music into the rhumba step, but still very well done with the edges (Level 3). Interesting connections in the partial step, but it could have deeper edges and better holds (Level 2). Better flow through the midline step but only a Level 2. Fairly good rotational lift to end the program.

Just a bit flat with the energy and an awkward music change. Their edges can be a bit flat so I'm not surprised about their drops in levels on the steps.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Coomes / Buckland (GBR)

Complex connections right from the start. Powerful and precise edgework through the rhumba steps (Level 4). Nice cartwheeling backwards and forwards in the Level 4 curve lift. Good hold changes throughout the partial step (Level 3). A little awkward in the first set of twizzles but better twizzles in the second and third sets (Level 3). Fairly strong curves in the midline step (Level 3).

I thought that the choreography was very interesting, given that this is a Christopher Dean program, with different kinds of holds and shapes. Strong curves, speed, and knees, though I felt the choreography was a bit stiff still and I didn't get that Latin sass and flavor as much.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Liu / Wang (CHN)

An improved rhumba pattern for them with clear edges (Level 4). Holds could be tighter but fairly smooth step sequence (Level 2). Strong twizzles with great sync (Level 3). Strong spread eagle straight-line lift with cartwheeling exit (Level 4). Midline step could have better curves and more intricacy (Level 2).

I find this pair to have a lot of smooth edges and flow. The difficulty itself is alright and could have more intricate turns and holds. I didn't feel that much Latin flavor and heat between them but not a bad effort here.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Mysliveckova / Csolley (SVK)

Rhumba pattern could have deeper edges but good speed (Level 2). The partial step could much closer to the beat but nice edges (Level 3). Good lift with a great balance point. Twizzles had a little bit of a sync issue in places the twizzles are fine (Level 4). Decent speed and edges through the midline (Level 3).

The dance was bit on the nose with good acceleration. Fairly good energy in the performance but not very original or interesting. I felt like she was giving more energy, though, compared to her partner, could be because he's all in black.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Min / Gamelin (KOR)

A bit short in some of the edges through the rhumba (Level 3). Nice connections through the partial step and nice edges (Level 3). Good spread eagle with her in a deep bend away from him. Decent sync through the twizzles (Level 4). Good energy through the midline step with good snap (Level 3).

Great performance from them! I'm glad they didn't have an issue with the back clasp of her costume this time around. I like their Latin interpretation, Gamelin's strength, and the connection between them. Strong technical levels as well.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Kaliscek / Spodyriev (POL)

Are you Despa-serious?!

Anyway, safely through the rhumba step with precise edgework (Level 4). Good synchronization through the midline step and nice turns (Level 3). Not a lot of connection to the music in the partial step but good edges (Level 3). Nice transitions into and between the twizzles (Level 4), a bit far apart. Nice rotational lift with her behind his back.

They had pretty good Latin energy with the arms. They are very similar technically to the top teams that have gone thus far. I think they were better in the first and third sections of the program with the slower music not as well-interpreted. But it should still score well.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Muramoto / Reed (JPN)

Better attention to phrasing. Trouble through the twizzles with the first set having an interruption from Muramoto (Level 3). Strong edges through the midline step sequence (Level 3). Improved phrasing through the partial step (Level 3). Good musical transition through the rhumba step with very good key points (Level 4). Very fast rotation and exit in the curve lift.

Shame on the mistake on the twizzles, but very impressive to make a Level 4 in the step sequence. I thought that their phrasing this time to the lyrics was very strong, and I felt their changes of tempo much more than I did in the team event short dance.

Hmmm... I feel that Muramoto and Reed should have gotten about a point or so higher in PCS. Very enjoyable, well-timed performance

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Guignard / Fabbri

Nice samba steps to start the performance. A minor slip on the second set of twizzles from Fabbri (Level 3). Good speed but some of the edges could be stronger through the rhumba section (Level 3). Partial step sequence has fairly nice connections (Level 3). A soft lift pretty much out of nowhere. A bit out of sync through the midline step but very good speed and attack (Level 3).

The mistake on the twizzles will hurt them a bit, as well as the rhumba step. But they have strong holds and sharp positions with plenty of speed. I think this team could project more and play with the audience.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Gilles / Poirier (CAN)

Good ice coverage through the twizzles, nice power pulls between them (Level 3). Smooth footwork and good holds through the partial step (Level 3). Interesting circular non-touching step with more aggressive edges (Level 2). A bit of a hitch in the last part of the rhumba sequence, eek (Level 3). But a strong curve lift to end the program.

I like how a lot of the choreography was right in tune with the music. They were able to emphasize the beat of the music without it overpowering them. Interesting to choose the Bossa Nova as well. They could still project more and have more drama but that was their best effort all season in my book.

I'm a bit surprised that their twizzles only got a Level 3. Not sure where the mistake was, have to look at them again

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Weaver / Poje (CAN)

Much, much better costumes. Interesting to put the partial step first with a nice series of steps with very complex holds (Level 3). Fairly good edging through the rhumba step (Level 4). A bit slow through the twizzles for them (Level 3) but at least Poje didn't stumble on them. Good edging through the midline step (Level 3). And a great flip-over in the spread eagle curve lift.

The transitional work is much improved over the other teams. Very easy between the elements and the holds. They could have a little bit more speed but I like how the program built over time. A very strong performance for them.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Shibutani / Shibutani (CAN)

Beautiful curves through the rhumba step (surprised with the Level 2). Very smooth through the holds and steps in the partial step (Level 3). Fantastic twizzles right to the count of the music (Level 4). Great emphasis of the beat in the midline step (Level 4!). Great lift behind the back that accelerated as it went along.

Plenty of pizzazz and wonderful feet with no stumbling or wobbling. Not sure about the rhumba step being so low in level but their twizzles and midline step were fantastic. A fun, uplifting Latin dance. Wonderful job!

They got a NYN on their key points. I can see how their last key point might have been off as they could be on a clearer outside edge, but the first key point I thought was fine. But I would have to review it in some replay. Some technical callers are just strangely strict

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Chock / Bates (CAN)

Carefully through the twizzles, a little out of the circle in the third twizzle from Bates (Level 4). Quick edge changes through the partial step (Level 4). Strong steps in the rhumba pattern (Level 4). Nice change of position spread eagle curve lift, especially that split position on the feet. Fairly deep edges and difficulty through the step sequence (Level 3).

Strong technical dance for them as far as the levels are concerned. Not as aggressive or snappy as the Shibutani's short dance but stronger Latin feel from them. But very strong mid-70s short dance for them.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Virtue / Moir (CAN)

Nice samba rolls at the start of the program. Lots of attack and spunk through the opening midline step (Level 4). Deep edges through the rhumba step (Level 4). Slower through the partial step to show clearer edge changes (Level 4). A little off in the first set of twizzles but perfect otherwise. Best version of the headwrap lift so far in this short dance.

Great performance of this short dance which I think was slightly better than their team short dance. Solid technical elements (all Level 4s) with very high GOEs. Amazing attack and enunciation of the music. Very sharp edgework this time around.