Short Dance Play-By-Play | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Short Dance Play-By-Play

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Papadakis / Cizeron (FRA)

Great lyricism through the rhumba step (Level 4). Nice edge changes through the midline step with deep curves (Level 4). A bit tight in the twizzles, not the best in the last two sets, got a little close (still Level 4). Intricate holds and sensitive partial step, a little tentative (Level 3). Wonderful straight line lift, though.

A little malfunction with the dress which made them a bit tight in the partial step, I think. The twizzles were a bit tight as they got close together. But their curves, edge changes, and connection are stellar. That darn necklace strap just had to come off, huh? Bummer. They should still score quite highly though.

Last edited by a moderator:

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Hubbell / Donohue (USA)

Wonderful edge quality in their midline step, just a tad out of sync (Level 4). Good steps through the rhumba pattern (Level 4). Wonderful patience through the liquid-like hold changes in the partial step (Level 4). Nice counter-balance curve lift. A little far apart on the twizzles (Level 3).

A bit tight on the twizzles, still don't know why they choose to do these last. Also not sure where they lost the level unless it's in the arms. But wonderful and silent edgework with better flow through the partial step than I've seen from them in the past. I like their rhumba interpretation more than their samba, but very, very good. On par with the Shibs overall.

So apparently, H/D didn't extend their leg in their twizzle for enough turns so that's why it was only a Level 3

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Bobrova / Soloviev (OAR)

Strong through the twizzles, no problem (Level 4). Deep curves through the midline step (Level 3). Rhumba step could have filled out the rink a little more but good key points (Level 3). Fairly strong partial step with the best they can do with that music choice (Level 3). Quick rotation in the lift as well (Level 4).

I think that the second taki-taki-taki music doesn't do them justice, but they have good interpretation and deep edging through the program. There was a bit more flow from them than I've seen before. Their levels have taken a slight hit, but they should still be in the mix.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Cappellini / Lanotte (ITA)

Wonderful sync through their twizzles (clear Level 4). Great snap and sizzle through the midline step. Very clean edges through the rhumba (Level 4). Love the flow through their partial step (Level 3). Strong rotational through the lift and a good setdown without that split which gave them a fall deduction in the team event.

Like all of their Latin spice in the interpretation. The choreography and transitions aren't as intricate as the top teams but they have plenty of performance and interpretive skill. Very uplifting and one of the best traditional Latin dances today. I hope the judges go with this so that they get in the 77s.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
I really need someone to explain how the heck H/D and P/C got so high scores in PE, IN and CO when they are the least 2 teams who skated to a “latin performance”. H/D could have been skating to anything and P/C just so focused on not being a disaster. Sure score them high in SS and TR but the teams who skated to despacito/ lower teams should have scored higher in PE, IN and TR

The main reason is that the Latin short dance pertains to Latin rhythms more than a strict Latin ballroom interpretation. Having steps that are reminiscent of Latin ballroom and having precise timing to Latin rhythms is more of what the judges are looking for. It's perfectly fine to have a traditional Latin presence with snap, sizzle, and energy like the Shibs and C/L but it's also fine to have the top teams to try and modernize those rhythms with a different piece of music that still fits the particular beat requirements but show off something more original.