Would a Folk Short Dance Be Possible? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Would a Folk Short Dance Be Possible?

VenusHalley

Final Flight
I would love to see a folk short dance... but done appropriately, none of that pseudoaborginal crap we have seen.

As long as you are not using sacred symbols, are not using music inappropriately (joyfully dancing to funeral music or something along those lines) and is not mocking... there should be no problem.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Oh I miss the OD, and that final OD in Vancouver was a Campstravaganza!!!!!!!!

The whole point of the pattern in the SD is that judges get a chance to evaluate each couple according to the exact same criteria using the exact same rhythms and steps. So offering a choice of three different patterns and rhythms would rather defeat the purpose of it.

Then again I am one of perhaps 17 people in the world who misses the compulsory pattern dances.

I miss them too. I mean I like the short dance well enough (although most of them this year were an objective fail) but strictly performed pattern dances are on another level.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I would love to see folk dances again, even though it might indeed be difficult to include a pattern that's the same for all. I remember a lovely Breton dance from 2010, D/W's excellent Bollywood dance, the Kerrs had a wonderful Scottish dance (with John Kerr wearing a kilt) which I believe they used at Euros but not at the Olympics, and the Italians had a lovely Tarantella dance even making legitimate use of certain (small) props to make it authentic. Of course I also remember the terrible Aboriginal dance by the Russians - well, actually it was mostly the outfits that disgusted me - but such things can be prevented and avoided, can't they? I certainly believe it's possible to do an aboriginal dance without being insulting. Do your research, talk and discuss with the people whose culture you're representing, and never ever suit yourself up like they did. Sorry to hear that B/A had problems too, despite doing extensive research, but it can be done! To me, it's not cultural appropriation if it's done with respect. In fact, the whole ca argument is taken a bit too far in many cases (although D/S were an appalling example of when it does apply). But, perhaps that's easy for me to say.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am over - WAY over - this nonsense of cultural appropriation.

Borrowing positive things from one culture and incorporating/adapting into something new and original is NOT an insult to anyone, particularly in the arts. Or it shouldn't be.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Would the Finnstep be considered a folk dance? Could it be used as the pattern in the SP?

Tigerlily87

On the Ice
I am over - WAY over - this nonsense of cultural appropriation.

Borrowing positive things from one culture and incorporating/adapting into something new and original is NOT an insult to anyone, particularly in the arts. Or it shouldn't be.

I’m going to let those appropriated decide that one. I think that there’s a huge difference however between performing an accurate folk dance and a folk inspired dance. Also if something is a religious dance I’d steer clear.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Russian Folk Dances are exciting and athletic...I would love to see a team tackle one of those.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Strangely, my favourite skate to folk music (not a dance, mind you) was Alexander Abt's Short Programme in 2002. Armenian folk music, and a piece choreographed by himself. He executed it extremely well at the WC in 2002. I know, off topic.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’m going to let those appropriated decide that one. I think that there’s a huge difference however between performing an accurate folk dance and a folk inspired dance. Also if something is a religious dance I’d steer clear.

Not me. I refuse to let someone boss me around in the name of cultural purity.

The American Melting Pot that we used to celebrate has transformed into one giant quest to become offended.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Strangely, my favourite skate to folk music (not a dance, mind you) was Alexander Abt's Short Programme in 2002. Armenian folk music, and a piece choreographed by himself. He executed it extremely well at the WC in 2002. I know, off topic.

Speaking of Armenian music, always loved Jeff Buttle's final competitive skate to Ararat at Worlds 2008 where he won gold, complete with magnificent step sequences. I don't think we see step sequences executed to this quality anymore: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vJFdEfGk3w

mrrice

Record Breaker

This was a repeat of his 2001 SP as well. You're right, it was great. He was with Raf in those days and I saw them both in Vancouver in 2001. Here's his SP from Worlds in 2002: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfRJm3kIkPU

GGFan

Record Breaker
Not me. I refuse to let someone boss me around in the name of cultural purity.

The American Melting Pot that we used to celebrate has transformed into one giant quest to become offended.

I think on this one you came into the thread with some preconceived notions. No one is bossing anyone around. The thread is filled with people talking about their love for folk dances. The goal should be to research the culture and do an accurate representation. If someone plays me in a movie (that will never happen :laugh2:) I think I get to complain if I think it's inaccurate. There's no law saying it had to be but I get to complain.

Every culture interacts and borrows from one another. It used to be that the majority culture could do as it pleased. That's what these complaints are about: I no longer get to run rough shod without people calling me out. I'm happy that we now live in times where various groups have a voice and are speaking up and saying, "no you don't just get to spend five seconds researching and borrow things--you need to do your homework and do it well."

ETA: Let's not even get into discussions of how black artists were stolen from. With nothing done to the music suddenly it's #1 being sung by a white artist. Everything comes with context and a history so this righteous indignation about America's melting pot starts to ring hollow.

LandShark

Rinkside
Yes , bring back the folk dances. It made the dancers think , and it gave the choreographers the chance to have a lot of fun. It reminded us , the audience , of the sheer diversity of dance steps and moods around the Planet.

The Kerr's Scottish dances was ridiculously proud and celebratory. Uplifting , and as they wanted themselves , a celebration of modern Scotland ,not mawkish and morbidly trad.

I also remember Olivier Schoenfelder performing a few rather nice steps to a French folk dance. Yeah , it was fun.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Yes , bring back the folk dances. It made the dancers think , and it gave the choreographers the chance to have a lot of fun. It reminded us , the audience , of the sheer diversity of dance steps and moods around the Planet.

The Kerr's Scottish dances was ridiculously proud and celebratory. Uplifting , and as they wanted themselves , a celebration of modern Scotland ,not mawkish and morbidly trad.

I also remember Olivier Schoenfelder performing a few rather nice steps to a French folk dance. Yeah , it was fun.

Yes! Kerr's Scottish dance complete with reverse lift (only in exhibitions I think): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LehA1TOwnEI

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Ok, so not a Chinese folk dance but a dance inspired by a very famous Chinese movie from my favourite up and coming ice dance team, Wang and Liu, during the 2015-2016 season. They used the mandarin version of "A Love Before Time" in their circular step sequence, which is probably the only time that I remember hearing a mandarin song used in a competitive program. Also, I love their costumes and her kiss and cry reaction after the scores.

Enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxeTcWyvewI

Hoping they make the Top 10 in Beijing 2022!

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Folk dance is kind of tricky. Aside from the technique ability, factors of the specific ethnicity dancers portray affect judges' appreciation of the artistic part, and different types of folk/ethnic dance cannot really compare with each other. When I watch a dance from a culture I am not aware, it takes me a while to understand it.

I always think Tessa and Scott were strategic to use Latin dance in 2009-1010. It fit the definition, but it has been made "mainstream," and it is probably the kind of "folk dance" all ice skaters are good at. I believe the point of folk dance is to showcase dances that are hardly skated to. Well that Latin dance lead to their gold. If many ice dancers choose Latin "folk" dance, there won't be much diversity as we expect.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
As far as I remember, that program got worse result than their FD the year before and the year after, meaning it was not received well by the judges.
The style is more of Chinese classical dance than folk dance (a combination of Peking Opera and martial arts). Karen Chen's butterfly exhibition program is a fold style.
Ok, so not a Chinese folk dance but a dance inspired by a very famous Chinese movie from my favourite up and coming ice dance team, Wang and Liu, during the 2015-2016 season. They used the mandarin version of "A Love Before Time" in their circular step sequence, which is probably the only time that I remember hearing a mandarin song used in a competitive program. Also, I love their costumes and her kiss and cry reaction after the scores.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker

Sorry this is unrelated to your topic but I wanted to mention that I think Zijun Li skated to a Mandarin song in 2016-17 for her FS.