Sinitsina/Katsalapov future prospects | Page 22 | Golden Skate

Sinitsina/Katsalapov future prospects

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Definitely is possible. The combined placement of the top 2 russian teams has to be 13 or less. If I/Z can get 5th one of the other two has to get 8th. It is doable, but not certain.
Top 3: W/P, C/B, P/C
4-5: I/Z, C/L
6: Probably the Shibs
7: G/P?
So basically either M/K or S/B would have to beat out everybody else... Assuming I'm not forgetting anybody.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Top 3: W/P, C/B, P/C
4-5: I/Z, C/L
6: Probably the Shibs
7: G/P?
So basically either M/K or S/B would have to beat out everybody else... Assuming I'm not forgetting anybody.

Yeah but who of the teams that are left do you think are likely to beat them? I'd have said maybe Co/Bu until Euros but they are dropping like hot potatoes... H/D and Z/G are fun and fan favorites but not there technically yet...

elif

Medalist
Hubbell and Donahue have two bronze medals from their grand prixs. Coomes/Buckland also made two costly mistakes last night but still scored more than 60 with a 1 point deduction. Not bad.

bramweld

Record Breaker
It is disappointing that they didn't at least try to obtain the world minimum. Because that third spot could be there's to lose if they continue to struggle with their technique. Why squander so many opportunities when it could have been of benefit to YOU? It strikes me honestly as either short sighted or selfish.

carriecmu0503

On the Ice
I also think Elena is poised to do at least as well at this EC as she ever did there with Nikita, in all thier years of partnership. The highest they ever were was 4th. She and Ruslan are on track to meet or beat that at the moment- but even if they don't, it's only their first year together.

Elena and Nikita were 2nd at EC last year. Would have won had Elena not fallen on the twizzles in the FD.

elif

Medalist
Elena also have Euro Silver from 2013 (even won free dance with Ghost:shocked:) and Euro Bronze 2012. Maybe he/she talks about Ruslan, he was 4th at 2014.

noidont

Final Flight
I have a question: why do people keep saying that S/K can't get the worlds minimum, while there are still a couple senior internationals, like challenge cup in the Hague and coupe de printemps in Luxembourg left between now and Worlds? Are those not a part of ISU sanctioned events?

elif

Medalist
I have a question: why do people keep saying that S/K can't get the worlds minimum, while there are still a couple senior internationals, like challenge cup in the Hague and coupe de printemps in Luxembourg left between now and Worlds? Are those not a part of ISU sanctioned events?

I thought they don't have dance events but I might be wrong.:think:

gmyers

Record Breaker
It is disappointing that they didn't at least try to obtain the world minimum. Because that third spot could be there's to lose if they continue to struggle with their technique. Why squander so many opportunities when it could have been of benefit to YOU? It strikes me honestly as either short sighted or selfish.

Constantly traveling and preparing for events and training a program takes away from learning skills to get the sd minimum. They need to train train and practice day in and day out waltz pattern and comfort with lifts and comfort and comparability to get sd minimum. They had their chances and one was cup of Russia!!! THey didn't get sd minimum in COr! So they are not going to compete and compete and compete without learning properly how first now.

uhh

Medalist

The only dance event left is the Bavarian Open, and they are not on the entry list.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Constantly traveling and preparing for events and training a program takes away from learning skills to get the sd minimum. They need to train train and practice day in and day out waltz pattern and comfort with lifts and comfort and comparability to get sd minimum. They had their chances and one was cup of Russia!!! THey didn't get sd minimum in COr! So they are not going to compete and compete and compete without learning properly how first now.

For once I think I agree with you. While I'm surprised they did not try for the SD minimum, taking the 'long view' at this point might have been in their best interest. M/K didn't do well at Euros (though they might pull it together for Worlds) and didn't manage to boost their international rep there. Assuming S/K are training the waltz and actually working on their weaknesses, this time to build might be more valuable to them than getting the SD minimum this year.

uhh

Medalist
Will they get 2 Grand Prix spots next year?

Probably they will only be eligible for one thanks to their position on the SB list - they are currently 19th with 4CC and Worlds still to come, but I expect they'd get a host pick at CoR as well to make it up to two.

I take everyone's point about the importance of just staying at home to practice, but it is frequently said that the hardest part of skating with a new partner is getting used to competing with them & learning how they respond in that situation. Marina herself has said that S/K look good in practice, but it hasn't translated to competition. That's why I think it would have been better for them to do Bavarian Open or Russian Cup final - not high stakes event, but another chance to deal with skating a competitive program together. All the practice ice in the world can't give you that experience, you have to live it to learn how to manage yourself & your partner in that environment. I don't want to always compare S/K to I/Z, but look at I/Z having had 5 events together; you can see how it has engendered trust in each other, and when they had a big lift problem like S/K did at NHK, no one panicked, they got it down safely, got back into the program and finished well. S/K need that experience. As it is, they will have spent at least 8 months since their last competition by the time the next season starts & the international judges last memory of them is of the mess at NHK. A reasonable senior B showing could have helped both their mental approach to competition & their reputation with the judges.

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
The only ones guaranteed 2 assignments are those who finish top 12 at worlds. They are currently 19th in the season's best list and are unlikely to fall out of the top 24, so they can get 1 assignment and hope for a host country pick.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Marina herself has said that S/K look good in practice, but it hasn't translated to competition.

I unfortunately would place very little stake in what Marina says. It is just PR for her team. Besides, I think it's not so much an issue of how they look (which is something she doesn't seem to wholly realize), but it is largely an issue of the levels. I will never forget wanting to bang my head into a wall when she said she had no idea why their twizzles weren't called level 4, as if their having blue eyes should do it :no:. Their GOEs and PCS have tended to be fine, even if not quite what they dreamed of, particularly considering they are a first year team.

Tanka

On the Ice
uhh, Abraxis12345, thank you.
I finally managed to find the rules. Bobrova&Soloviev are guaranteed two spots even if they don't compete this season, Yanovskaya&Mozgov will get two spots due to their Juniot results. S/K have all chances to be home-picked.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Probably they will only be eligible for one thanks to their position on the SB list - they are currently 19th with 4CC and Worlds still to come, but I expect they'd get a host pick at CoR as well to make it up to two.

I take everyone's point about the importance of just staying at home to practice, but it is frequently said that the hardest part of skating with a new partner is getting used to competing with them & learning how they respond in that situation. Marina herself has said that S/K look good in practice, but it hasn't translated to competition. That's why I think it would have been better for them to do Bavarian Open or Russian Cup final - not high stakes event, but another chance to deal with skating a competitive program together. All the practice ice in the world can't give you that experience, you have to live it to learn how to manage yourself & your partner in that environment. I don't want to always compare S/K to I/Z, but look at I/Z having had 5 events together; you can see how it has engendered trust in each other, and when they had a big lift problem like S/K did at NHK, no one panicked, they got it down safely, got back into the program and finished well. S/K need that experience. As it is, they will have spent at least 8 months since their last competition by the time the next season starts & the international judges last memory of them is of the mess at NHK. A reasonable senior B showing could have helped both their mental approach to competition & their reputation with the judges.

the same people would surely know if they didn't get the worlds sd minimum again. Either its from not practicing enough or not competing enough and all the other new teams reached it. S/k didn't even get it at russian nationals sd. Not that it would count but they didn't even reach the points.

Last edited:

mnm464

On the Ice
Can we please just settle this if they do, great:more competition experience. then, if not, more time to gel/bond and work on the ice dance stuffs(to put it in one big category b/c I don't know a lot about dance as a singles skater). It just seems to go back to Russian Nationals all the time.

elif

Medalist
uhh, Abraxis12345, thank you.
I finally managed to find the rules. Bobrova&Soloviev are guaranteed two spots even if they don't compete this season, Yanovskaya&Mozgov will get two spots due to their Juniot results. S/K have all chances to be home-picked.

I thought Bobrova/Soloviev only guarantee one event due to Worlds Ranking Top 24. Yanovskaya/Mozgov will have one because they will be WJC. And they will be in Seasons Best Top 75 so ISU can choose them for second event. Bobrova/Soloviev will not be in it If they don't skate this year. Did rules changed? Super news If both guarantee two event.

Last edited:

Big Deal

Final Flight
What happened with this sport if even the Russian No4 team couldn't get the minimum point to participate at the Worldchamps?
Such an eclipse. WHERE ARE VIRTUE/MOIR on these days, please???