Skaters on Team Japan | Page 32 | Golden Skate

Skaters on Team Japan

ioanna

Record Breaker
Well... time to pray for a miracle and for Machida to come back next season I guess. After this double Taka disaster, there will probably be even more pressure on Yuzuru (and Shoma) to deliver all the time.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
As much as I want to stay positive and say Japan has a good chance of keeping the 3 spots, I'll have to say it looks really hard. Mura or Kozuka would have to skate lights out to finish within the top 10 (assuming Hanyu will stay at least in the top 5, very likely). I'm afraid of how the media will react, will they hold Machida personally responsible for this as it has been seen in some articles since he announced his retirement? Will they let all the pressure fall on Hanyu and the upcoming skaters to carry Japanese figure skating? Will they blame it on Mura and Kozuka for the apparent weakening in what is Japan's strongest figure skating field?
But hey, good thing about being low after the SP is that you have nothing to lose in the FS, so they may skate boldly and give us a surprise! Good luck to the 3 guys tomorrow!

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
As much as I want to stay positive and say Japan has a good chance of keeping the 3 spots, I'll have to say it looks really hard. Mura or Kozuka would have to skate lights out to finish within the top 10 (assuming Hanyu will stay at least in the top 5, very likely). I'm afraid of how the media will react, will they hold Machida personally responsible for this as it has been seen in some articles since he announced his retirement? Will they let all the pressure fall on Hanyu and the upcoming skaters to carry Japanese figure skating? Will they blame it on Mura and Kozuka for the apparent weakening in what is Japan's strongest figure skating field?
But hey, good thing about being low after the SP is that you have nothing to lose in the FS, so they may skate boldly and give us a surprise! Good luck to the 3 guys tomorrow!

I only remember one article judging Machida for his decision (Japan Times, from the same guy with the crazy Gracie Gold conspiracy theory). Do you have source of others?

But I don´t think is his fault. Both Takas have had pleanty of time for practice and prepare. Sadly it seem like Mura picked too early (GPs) and Kozuka is only skating great programs in Nationals.

Great luck and best wishes for all the Japanese skaters tomorrow.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
If both Mura and Kozuka withdraw from the free skate, and Hanyu finishes first or second... would that mean Japan keep 3 spots...?! :-D

Well, I am optimistic. I think at least one of Kozuka and Mura will redeem themselves tomorrow, finish in the top what, 12? 13? that they need? And with a good placement from Hanyu, Japan can keep their 3 spots for men...

Last edited:

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
If both Mura and Kozuka withdraw from the free skate, and Hanyu finishes first or second... would that mean Japan keep 3 spots...?! :-D

Well, I am optimistic. I think at least one of Kozuka and Mura will redeem themselves tomorrow, finish in the top what, 12? 13? And with a good placement from Hanyu, Japan can keep their 3 spots for men...
:hopelessness:

cruzceleste

Record Breaker

Well, I am optimistic. I think at least one of Kozuka and Mura will redeem themselves tomorrow, finish in the top what, 12? 13? that they need? And with a good placement from Hanyu, Japan can keep their 3 spots for men...

:slink::drama:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
I only remember one article judging Machida for his decision (Japan Times, from the same guy with the crazy Gracie Gold conspiracy theory). Do you have source of others?

But I don´t think is his fault. Both Takas have had pleanty of time for practice and prepare. Sadly it seem like Mura picked too early (GPs) and Kozuka is only skating great programs in Nationals.

Great luck and best wishes for all the Japanese skaters tomorrow.

That was actually the article I was talking about, a mistake while writing. Sorry about that :slink:
Yeah I've never thought it was Machida's fault, it's his life, he can do whatever he wants, retirement included. He has already done a lot for figure skating in Japan for the past years. Mura has unfortunately been going down on the level of his performances since the season began. And yeah, Kozuka's competition is Nats :cry:

ioanna

Record Breaker

I've seen a couple more Russian articles judging him for retiring.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
So... Hanyu got 2nd place at Worlds, and Kozuka got 12th place.

2 + 12 = 14

That's enough for Japan to keep 3 places for next year, isn't it?

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
So... Hanyu got 2nd place at Worlds, and Kozuka got 12th place.

2 + 12 = 14

That's enough for Japan to keep 3 places for next year, isn't it?

They needed 13......:hopelessness: The stars were not aligned for Japan tonight.

I'm going to slap someone if the media blames Hanyu for not getting 1st

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
No. Should have been 13.
Oh no, you're right. I thought it was 14, but it has to be less than 14

Oh, I hope the media etc are not unkind to the Japanese men about this, especially Kozuka and Mura.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Oh no, you're right. I thought it was 14, but it has to be less than 14
Oh, I hope the media etc are not unkind to the Japanese men about this, especially Kozuka and Mura.
I am afraid that hope is in vain... :cry:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
whats the criteria when countries with 3 spots doesnt have enough eligible skater so they give their spot to another? how is that spot being given ?

Eclair

Medalist
Is there already an media reaction to Japan loosing it's 3rd men's spot? I would hate to see them blaming the skaters :( I'm really heartbroken and actually shed a tear at kozuka's FS. So sad, that Kovtun und Voronov got higher PCS than him in the sp. Otherwise it would be looking different now :cry:

firal

Record Breaker
They should focus on the positive. Ladies got 3! And they were worried before! But of course the media doesn't do that...

Meoima

Match Penalty
Oh god. Yuzuru does not deserve the blame at all IMO. He performed well and did his job. It was Kozuka and Mura who didn't do their jobs (unsurprisingly, especially Kozuka). :unsure:
A Japanese poster told me this article doesn't blame him. Maybe Google translate is tricky this time.
But there are some articles putting the blame on the men team, as my friend told me. I hope those are just some gossip webs.
Finger crossed.:drama:

Last edited: