Skaters on Team Japan | Page 116 | Golden Skate

Skaters on Team Japan

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I didn't notice Sui Takeuchi. Great that you notice her. She's interesting. There are now a few juniors who attempt the 3A. Rika Kihira, Riko Takino, Yuhana Yokoi, her sister, and other girl whose i forgot the name. Would be great if all these girls could succeed next week at juniors nats

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
I didn't notice Sui Takeuchi. Great that you notice her. She's interesting. There are now a few juniors who attempt the 3A. Rika Kihira, Riko Takino, Yuhana Yokoi, her sister, and other girl whose i forgot the name. Would be great if all these girls could succeed next week at juniors nats

Sui has been seen in Mao's practice video from this summer (after Mao's retirement and before 'The Ice'). So when Mao was practicing in Nagoya, Sui was spotted at the same rink (and maybe Mao-chan gave her some tips about jumping 3A?) But actually Sui has been challenging 3A for a while, IIRC. Yes, it's pretty much these girls trying 3A in competitions: Rika, Riko, Yuhana, Kinayu (Yuhana's younger sister) and the other girl is Ayaka Hosoda (senior trained under Hamada & Tamura, Ayaka was planning to retire after last season. But since she's gained the 3A jump, she decided to keep on with the competition). So far I think only Rika has been landing the jump successfully in international competitions. Others who tried 3A out had either underrotation or fall. Ayaka may have the jump rotated in one or two competitions, but too bad always with falls)

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
The YouTube user only uploaded Sota's program, so far as I can tell... Still, I applied my very best searching skills to the matter and found... one minute about Rika Kihira in a news segment: https://youtu.be/i48SMDUvGJ4?t=112. It's only (well, I say only... but :eek: wow, I almost can't believe my eyes) the jumps (3A-3T and 3A) in real time and in slo-mo and I think the commentators are singing her praises (I only know a little Japanese).
Sorry I couldn't be more help, seems we might have to wait for the next competition for more videos!

ETA:
There are links for Kaori Sakamoto's FS (link), Yuka Nagai's FS (link), Western Sectionals Senior Ladies' Digest (link) and Eastern Sectionals Senior Ladies' Digest (link), all with Japanese commentary, if anyone is interested.

Thanks for the videos to Eastern and Western sectionals...it's sad that Miyabi will miss out on National this year :sad4:

cleo2070

Final Flight
Glad people have found the links interesting! All credit to the uploader, VV MM, of course, I only fished them out of the depth of YouTube :)

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Rika and Nana are amazing. Just discovered them. Placing bets on them as the two future stars, and healthy rivalry. What breaths of fresh air to watch, good on them for keeping the artistry alive while upping the tech of the sport. The fact Rika can seemingly effortlessly do these clean 3As says a lot about her technique. :love:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Several Team Japan skaters will receive a Tv Asahi "Big Sports Special Award":

Yuzuru Hanyu
Shoma Uno
Mai Mihara
Wakaba Higuchi
Sumire Suto & Francis Boudreau Audet
Kana Muramoto & Chris Reed

Mao Asada will receive a TV Asahi "Big Sports Special Achievement Award"

https://twitter.com/oro1_/status/932863603635494913

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Since it's still November 22 here: Happy 23rd birthday, Tanaka Keiji! Many happy returns! :cool: I wanted to post a fanfest for him today, but haven't gotten to it yet. -_-

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
Sorry for a small OT but does anyone know if it is possible to buy a JSF team jacket anywhere (I mean the black one) ? I've googled it for a thousand times but cannot seem to find anything :(

Kara

Final Flight
I've always thought the top of it looked like a garbage bag to be honest lol. I've seen a puffy version on yahoo auctions though I'm unsure if it's official or not.

yude

Record Breaker
Nice column about a junior skater, Shingo Nishiyama.

https://www.daily.co.jp/opinion-d/2017/12/03/0010785020.shtml

There is a figure skater who crossed the sea pursuing the back of his admiration. A first grade high school student, Shingo Nishiyama. In January of this year, he moved his practice base to "Cricket Club" in Toronto, Canada.

The Cricket Club is a sports club where the world champion, Yuzuru Hanyu (ANA), has based on. It is also the rink the former world champion, Javier Fernandez (Spain) has been training. Nishiyama has been taught by the coaches as Brian Orser and Tracy Wilson who raised many top skaters like Hanyu, Fernandez, Yuna Kim, the gold medalist in the Vancouver Olympics.

Almost a year after crossing the ocean. Currently he has been gaining practices while he is living with a host family. "I think my language is gradually getting better, it might get smoother a little bit later.", Nishiyama said. "Since I have to do various things by myself, I feel now I was lucky before (supported by my family).", he laughed. He has a lot of anxiety, but his face showed more fulfilling color than that.

The skater he has been longing for since he was little is Yuzuru Hanyu. There was also a recommendation of a coach, Yutaka Higuchi, who gives him the guidance, and "I asked him, I want to go! I want to go!". He decided to transfer to Canada. Hanyu is just in the front of his sight. "I want to be like Hanyu-kun, I have been watching him all the time." Touching the ice before he enters the rink. Such the way he skates and his gestures, is it my imagination that something "Hanyu-ish" is oozing out...? He also asks Yuzuru questions in the interval of the practice.

In Japanese junor nationals, he ranked in the 8th in short program and 7th in free skating, finished in 9th overall. Although there were mistakes in the jump and it resulted in regret, he received the highest level(4) in the spin in both SP and FS and showed his potential. From the coaches, he has been told "You have good skating skills, let's improve it more. You have also the jumps you are able to do".

Crossing the ocean does not always mean that we will grow. However, I think to determine something has a big meaning. I hope he will show us skating that can only be done by Nishiyama, after chasing the back of his admiration.

(Daily Sports · Saki Kunishima)

This is the video of Shingo when he was 11, I remember this boy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=g_vLMQqjg84

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Long time no post. And since it's already the 12th in Japan, I wish Hino Ryuju a very happy 23rd birthday. Good luck in whatever he does this year, firm health, and I'm hoping to see him in competitions for a while yet. ^ ^

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Team Japan for winning three spots each for the ladies and men for Worlds next year.

Wakaba's skate resonated the most with me as she rose from her disappointment from not making it to the Olympics. While the JSF has been criticized for seemingly not pushing for her, I think it also deserves credit for selecting her for Worlds despite her finishing off podium at Nationals. And Wakaba delivered, showing competitive nerve. I really think she can be a World champion. She offers something unique and special: powerful skating and jumps and an emotional, open style belying stereotyping of the Japanese as contained and inscrutable.

Satoko's skating as always was beautiful. I attribute her late fall in the free to her injury which caused a late start to her season. I think of her skating as I do Jane Austen's writing when it comes to literature: polished, nuanced, elegant, delightful.

For me, this Worlds is a defining moment of Shoma's career. Boyish good looks notwithstanding, it was a man out there who fought through injury and initial mistakes to win silver and help preserve three spots for Japan, knowing the lion's share of responsibility is his. What heart! Props to Kazuki for a fantastic Worlds debut finishing fifth with a career best FS and to Keiji who improved on his placement at PyeongChang.

Sun is indeed rising for Team Japan!

bluelutz

On the Ice
This has been posted on the Japanese Ladies thread, but I like to post here as well.:p

Prospect for Junior Ladies for Next season.

Mako Yamshita is definitely going to the senior ranks, and very possibly Rika Kihira as well (though nobody can say 100% sure for Rika since she did not earn any spot on her own). They were two leading junior ladies for Japan. So who are going to compete for the next season's JGPS.

There will be seven events, and Japan got two spots each, 2X7=14 spots.
Usually seven girls are going to be named with a few of substitutes, and if they are placed 4th or higher, they will get the second spot.
Last year, the first five of Kihira, Yamashita, Takino, Araki, Matsuoka, Iwano & Yokoi got the second spots, and Kasakake & Matsubara got one spot out of the sub list. Seven medals were won by them, and Kihira made it to the final.
Besides Kihira & Yamashita, all other girls are predicted to stay on the Junior ranks even though Yokoi will be the final eligible age for the junior.

Who will be the new comers from the novice ranks?
Top 6 of the Novice Nationals were 1) Hana Yoshida 2)Rika Tejima 3)Kinayu Yokoi (Yuhana's sister) 4)Nonoka Ise 5) Mana Kawabe 6)Mone Chiba, and unfortunately Yoshida and Tejima will not be age eligible for the next season, and none of the girls 3) to 6) are good enough to be sent to JGB unless they will make a big progress before the early summer. Especially Flip will be the required solo jump for the junior ladies next season, which means that most of top juniors will perform 3Lz+3T/3Lz+3L or 3L+3T/3L+3T for their SP, and none of them, besides Yoshida and Tejima are capable of doing them.
it is a bit sad especially as we know several amazingly talented Russian girls will come to the junior ranks in addition to the ones they have already.
On the other hand, Yoshida is very talented, and she beated Alysa Liu who is same age & the top hope for U.S. at the recent competition.

So who will fill the spots vacated by Kihira and Yamashita?
I think one of them will be Sui Takeuchi, who became the surprising winner of the recent National high school competition with 3A+3T combo and the big score. She is supposed to be on the third year of the junior ranks, but decided to go to the senior ranks domestically this season probably because she thought that she rather compete at the senior if she was not good enough to be sent to JGP. Though I am not sure that she likes to go back the junior ranks or not, I really hope she will take the opportunity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWBWsVGAmu8

The next in line is Tomoe Kawabata, who finished 6th at the Junior Nationals, and got everything to be a great skater. She is a good looking expressive girl with big impressive jumps. However, she is still inconsistent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YdZh-f3iUE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8AljvjA_8w&t=293s

Then Rinka Watanabe (5th at the JN) who is at least more consistent, but basically she is still a tiny girl with a very juniorish style though she has made a big progress since a couple of years ago, last year she was injured. So let's hope that she will make even more progress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFnB9unJAwc

Then Saya Suzuki (9th at the JN) who was great during the last season, but struggled this season due to the injuries, and Wakana Naganawa (10 th at the JN) who is somewhat similar to her club mate Mako with big jumps, but unfortunately she does not have Mako's consistency just yet. Also one more to be mentioned is Sora Maeno who was the surprisingly 3rd place finisher at the National middle school competition after Mako and Rinka.

This is Saya Suzuki's performance from the last season's senior Nationals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbezHjTdlvc

And personally I am hoping for Yuna Aoki's redemption. Two years and half ago, she made a JGP debut with so much expectation from fans and the federation since she was the Novice champ over Marin, but since then nothing but struggle for her because of injuries and inability to perform +3T. The next season, she can use her 3Lz+3L for her SP, and it will be a big chance for her. At the recent National High school competition, she did a good job.

The very first one is Yuna Aoki, then followed by Yuna Shiraiwa, Rino Kasakake, Kokoro Iwamoto, Nana Araki & Sui Takeuchi at the National high school competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6fMUcfwkJs

The next year's Japanese junior ladies are not going to beat Russians, but still very decent team and will compete for the third spot on the podium with two or three Korean ladies.

And this is Hana Yoshida, remember her name. This girl is NOT going to be age eligible for the junior ranks for the next season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xup5pH7rvLc

Her name on the video is spelled "Hanna" and I assume that the uploader, her father prefers that way because it sounds like Westerner's name and probably that sounds cool to him

This one is Mana Kawabe, who is coming to the junior ranks, but she needs a little more technical contents to be sent to JGP though I do like her expressive style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjK8B-Ecd3I

Then Mone Chiba who shares the coach with Shun Sato who will probably get the mens JGP spot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvgFRf_uus0

Lastly I like to mention the novice champ of the last season, Rion Sumiyoshi.
She was on the list of sub for JGP, but never sent to one, and the rest of the season was nothing but struggle for her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8Ovab50dZ8

She has long beautiful rims and the tender elegant style, I really hope she can solve her issues and make some improvement till then.

Hmm, probably I should make the same one for junior boys:rolleye:

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
14 year old Yuma Kagiyama landed his first successful 3A in competition at Lily Cup, Kanagawa last weekend. He skated a clean program scoring a FS personal best of 130.98. He's generally a consistent skater and though I haven't had the opportunity to see him skate much, he seems to be expressive and musical. He's also been working on the 4S.
Kagiyama uploaded a clip of his smooth and easy looking 3A to Instagram (clip in third frame of post).
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bhl7h5Zjj3REYPwB44iJRq5N8ymrwx8G4NJc4M0/

Who are Novice Skaters to watch out for in Team Japan at the moment?? Like real Jewel Talent ones

Though there are others who show potential, as bluelutz has mentioned, Hana Yoshida and Kao Miura (turning Junior next season) are the current standouts.

Miura is a fiery, aggressive skater with cat like reflexes. He's been attempting the 3A in competition since early last season. Like Kagiyama, Miura also participated in Lily Cup last weekend. Though he fell on his 3A, it was the first of his attempts in competition to be deemed fully rotated. Also, regardless of the fall he managed to score 110.91, his FS personal best. I'm predicting Miura will land a successful 3A before the start of next season.

I was going to link Lily Cup results/judges scores but seems JSF site is currently down.

EDIT: Liliy Cup Kanagawa, Junior Men's Judges scores. (Yuma Kagiyama 1st, Kao Miura 2nd)
https://www.jsfresults.com/local/2017-2018/fs/14/03/data0305.pdf

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Re. Japanese Jr. men discussion above - I've been getting from twitter these couple of days that Sato Shun is going to relocate from Sendai to Saitama (main reason is due to relocation of family member). If that's the case, it will be adding some competitions to the juniors in Kanto regional/eastern section for the upcoming season.