So Is Brian Joubert Now Going To Complain About.... | Page 9 | Golden Skate

So Is Brian Joubert Now Going To Complain About....

Joubert skated with the sails of the Santa Maria in 2003GP and 2004 Worlds and poorly for whatever reason. Plushenko was tending to his weak knee and withdrew and in all places, Moscow. The gold medal was up for grabs and Stephane grabbed it with the two beautifully landed quads. He repeated it again in 2005 Worlds in Calgary over a much improved Joubert. However, the knee problem persisted and continued to prevent his standard of competitive skating. He did introduce his Flamenco number and the PCs shot up despite his faulty 3A.

I would love to see him show up at Vancouver and steal the gold from all his adversaries

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Joubert skated with the sails of the Santa Maria in 2003GP and 2004 Worlds and poorly for whatever reason. Plushenko was tending to his weak knee and withdrew and in all places, Moscow. The gold medal was up for grabs and Stephane grabbed it with the two beautifully landed quads. He repeated it again in 2005 Worlds in Calgary over a much improved Joubert. However, the knee problem persisted and continued to prevent his standard of competitive skating. He did introduce his Flamenco number and the PCs shot up despite his faulty 3A.
Just for the skate of accuracy - you are off by one year. In 2004, Stephane just missed out on the podium while Joubert skated very well - his Matrix LP, not 1492 - and finished 2nd behind Plush. Stephane's titles were in 2005 (classic splatfest) and 2006 (great competition). BTW, had 2006 Worlds been skated under the current format, it would have been won by Joubert. From all this, Brian learned his lesson: The Matrix is his friend ;).

I would love for Vancouver to feature stronger skating than Torino 2006. That one was an underwhelming event in everything but the pairs.

Just for the skate of accuracy - you are off by one year. In 2004, Stephane just missed out on the podium while Joubert skated very well - his Matrix LP, not 1492 - and finished 2nd behind Plush. Stephane's titles were in 2005 (classic splatfest) and 2006 (great competition). BTW, had 2006 Worlds been skated under the current format, it would have been won by Joubert. From all this, Brian learned his lesson: The Matrix is his friend ;).

I would love for Vancouver to feature stronger skating than Torino 2006. That one was an underwhelming event in everything but the pairs.
Thanks for correcting my errors on the years. But what year in SA did I see the Colombus program? which would bring Joubert to the 2005 Worlds with Plush out and Joubert expecting a win?
But your BTW 2006 Worlds was skated under the CoP, and Lambiel won it. I was there, and he did land a 3A although Scott Davis gave him a UR. Joubert was bouncing back in 2006 after his nadir season before. However, your opinion is an opinion to which you are entitled. I think Joubert will find his gold medal in Vancouver, but that is just my opinion. TT should know what to give him. She's had him since before Johnny went to her.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Thanks for correcting my errors on the years. But what year in SA did I see the Colombus program? which would bring Joubert to the 2005 Worlds with Plush out and Joubert expecting a win?
But your BTW 2006 Worlds was skated under the CoP, and Lambiel won it. I was there, and he did land a 3A although Scott Davis gave him a UR. Joubert was bouncing back in 2006 after his nadir season before. However, your opinion is an opinion to which you are entitled. I think Joubert will find his gold medal in Vancouver, but that is just my opinion. TT should know what to give him. She's had him since before Johnny went to her.
You might have seen 1492 in autumn 2004, at the start of the 2004-5 season. Joubert later had a different costume designed, which was used at 2005 Worlds.

Re 2006 Worlds, I wrote current format, not current judging system. 2006 Worlds were the last with a qualifying round (though I'm hearing that those might come back). Lambiel had a big lead over Joubert out of the QR. Brian then won the SP by a sizable margin, and was just a couple of points (IIRC) behind Stephane in the LP. Had there been no QR, Joubert's lead from the SP would have been enough. But it doesn't really matter - that was the format, Stephane was the winner, and Brian, I think, got his confidence back.

AFAIK, Brian skated SA in 2004 and 2005. He skated to the Columbus thing in 2004 and went on to 2005 Worlds where he repeated his less than stellar programs, and if I remember correctly came out 6th

However, later in 2005, he skated SA again and did not use Columbus. He came out 3rd. But he got a silver in 2006 Worlds.

And in 2006 he began his comeback, although he is not remembered for his 2006 Olys.

Even his 2007 Worlds, he won on the SP only. He was won over by both Daisuke and Stephan.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
AFAIK, Brian skated SA in 2004 and 2005. He skated to the Columbus thing in 2004 and went on to 2005 Worlds where he repeated his less than stellar programs, and if I remember correctly came out 6th

However, later in 2005, he skated SA again and did not use Columbus. He came out 3rd. But he got a silver in 2006 Worlds.

And in 2006 he began his comeback, although he is not remembered for his 2006 Olys.

Even his 2007 Worlds, he won on the SP only. He was won over by both Daisuke and Stephan.
OK, my memory is kind of hazy here, but I'll try: for the 2004-5 season, Joubert had Blue Men Group music for his SP. This was actually a pretty good program for him (hideous outfit notwithstanding) - at Euros he was first on the SP ahead of Plush, and finished just behind him overall, while at Worlds he was just behind Lambiel before totally blowing the LP and ending up 6th.

In 2005-6, Brian used Lord of the Dance for his LP for the entire season except Worlds. This was a big mistake, the program was all wrong for him. His mother told him to go back to The Matrix prior to Olys, he opted not to and we saw how that turned out (6th). By Worlds he'd taken her advice and was looking much better.

My impression has been that Brian tends to win/do well in many events on the strength of his SP, and that he is more of a late-season skater. He doesn't always do well in GPs but usually sorts himself out in time for Nationals and Euros.

My impression of Brian is that he does not skate up to his potential. His gala performances are all relaxed, some amusing, others au courrant, and all enjoyable.

His competitive programs have roller coaster results When I combine the galas to his best competitive performances, I say he should win the Olys. I think at his best, he is overall better (competitively speaking) than Johnny, Evan, Dai, Nobunari, Chan,, Tomas, and even Plush if he comes back. But will he win the Olys? I dunno.

If Michal skates, I will be rooting for him. Nothing like a skater who can dance on the ice, for me.

jennylovskt

Medalist
His (Brian Joubert) competitive programs have roller coaster results When I combine the galas to his best competitive performances, I say he should win the Olys. I think at his best, he is overall better (competitively speaking) than Johnny, Evan, Dai, Nobunari, Chan,, Tomas, and even Plush if he comes back.

I agree with this assessment but to me, to be precise, maybe or maybe not exceeding Plushenko. Brian hasn't fully shown his artistic potential in his competitive programs. His Worlds Ex. program had me. Looking forward to seeing Tatiana Tarasova brings out the best of Joubert next season.

Last edited: