So-Youn Park | Page 55 | Golden Skate

So-Youn Park

s_parks

Record Breaker
I assume so youn is training mostly in korea? I know it'd be quite costly, but I really wish she'd find a different coach. Aside from her mental block, I don't think training under Chi, and mostly in korea no less, is helping at all. She teaches good basic jump technique, but consistency and rotations are suspect, and she offers very little in improving pcs. Maybe Lee kyu hyun, ye lim's coach, might be an option? Ye lim may not exactly be the best 13 year old on the junior circuit but there was a big improvement in her jump technique and ss (if you compare her 2015 and 2016 nationals skates) after she switched to Lee. It would at least give so youn a fresh perspective, if she can't train regularly overseas.

petitebrie

On the Ice
So Youn is listed for both Lombardia Sept 8–11 and Nebelhorn Sept 22–24, I'm guessing she might be staying/training somewhere in Europe in between the two competitions? (In either case the jet lag isn't that bad from Korea to Europe, it tends to be worse the other way around, but it's still a long and tiring journey.)

clippers8200

On the Ice
So Youn is listed for both Lombardia Sept 8–11 and Nebelhorn Sept 22–24, I'm guessing she might be staying/training somewhere in Europe in between the two competitions? (In either case the jet lag isn't that bad from Korea to Europe, it tends to be worse the other way around, but it's still a long and tiring journey.)

Yeah. I just got back from Seoul last night and the struggle is real. Hope this gets her adequately prepped for the Grand Prix! I really like her programs this year.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
From ISU bio music is:

SP: Man with the Golden Arm (soundtrack) (choreo by Cindy Stewart)
FP: Aranjuez Mon Amour performed by Nana Mouskouri (choreo by David Wilson)

Nebelhorn Trophy went better than Lombardia Trophy :) Still things to improve of course. Like eliminating falls :drama: Her overall score was 161.95
SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ciu-bAiNTaw 55.71
FP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG9CZc-I7ME 106.24

I hope she will keep a tendency and do better with next competitions :hap10:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Seems like huge improvement since Asian Trophy. Hope she can keep moving in a positive direction. Looking forward to seeing her at Skate America.

clippers8200

On the Ice
Yeah, her speed looks a lot better, and her spins are so so much better from last season. Finally stabilized her camel spin. Now for the jumps :p

randomfan

Record Breaker
Does anyone know why her GOEs are so low lately? For example the 3Lo in the SP might have had an iffy landing but it didn't deserve anywhere near -1.20 GOE. I saw the protocols before seeing the performance, and I thought she put her hand down or something but no, the jump seemed ok...:confused:

Edit: Watched the video again...maybe there was a problem with the preceding steps?

Last edited:

seabm7

Final Flight
Does anyone know why her GOEs are so low lately? For example the 3Lo in the SP might have had an iffy landing but it didn't deserve anywhere near -1.20 GOE. I saw the protocols before seeing the performance, and I thought she put her hand down or something but no, the jump seemed ok...:confused:

Edit: Watched the video again...maybe there was a problem with the preceding steps?

That's what people are guessing: The distance between the required steps and the loop jump was too long.

clippers8200

On the Ice
SoYoun skated well at SA - relatively clean except for a < on her 3Lo. Also the highest PCS she's gotten on her SP ever internationally...I think? Her 3-3 looks way more consistent, I think she should put it back in her FS in lieu of a second 2A-3T.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
SoYoun skated well at SA - relatively clean except for a < on her 3Lo. Also the highest PCS she's gotten on her SP ever internationally...I think? Her 3-3 looks way more consistent, I think she should put it back in her FS in lieu of a second 2A-3T.

She did a good job and looked lovely out there!

clippers8200

On the Ice
Looks like Soyoun had a pretty clean practice according to practice reports. And it looks like she changed her second 2A-3T jumping pass to a 3Lo-2T. Interesting how her weakest jump is now being used twice!

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Good job to Soyoun for not giving up in the second half. I'm assuming she's also needing the time to get used her layout. I'm really surprised that she's using that 3-1lo-3s combo! She's never done it before in competition...

clippers8200

On the Ice
Good job to Soyoun for not giving up in the second half. I'm assuming she's also needing the time to get used her layout. I'm really surprised that she's using that 3-1lo-3s combo! She's never done it before in competition...

Do you think she's going for a 2S or a 3S at the end of that combo? Because she already has two other 3S in the program, so wouldn't she be Zayaking?

sallycinnamon

Medalist
I love So Youn's program of this season so much, especially the long program. She skates beautifully and with so much maturity; it is just a great experience to watch her skating. I think she has a very good technical basis, although there are always some mistakes in her programs. I don't know what is the reason for this, although she is mentally quite a strong competitor - even yesterday after a weaker middle part of her LP she finished the program splendidly. Not many skaters are able to come back into the program after missing one or two elements. She maybe should need extra motivation? I don't know. Wish she could afford to spend a couple of seasons abroad in a competitive field, it would make her even more consistent and a better skater.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Do you think she's going for a 2S or a 3S at the end of that combo? Because she already has two other 3S in the program, so wouldn't she be Zayaking?

I think she was originally meant to triple everything in that Lo-1/2lo-S combo. Since she doubled everything, she probably did that 3S-2T to salvage some points. Which I think is good thinking but ugh I would've love for her to do a gutsy tacking of a 3T instead.

You did mention that she was trying to do a 3Lo-2T instead so I'm assuming that Chi is utilizing her newfound stability on the loop and salchow to do the former

SOOOO for reference if she keeps this layout

3Lz
2A-3T
3F
-------
3Lo-1/2lo-3S
3S
3Lo-2T
2A

I would love for her to omit the flip but she would be stuck with a version of Yuna's layout

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
I love So Youn's program of this season so much, especially the long program. She skates beautifully and with so much maturity; it is just a great experience to watch her skating. I think she has a very good technical basis, although there are always some mistakes in her programs. I don't know what is the reason for this, although she is mentally quite a strong competitor - even yesterday after a weaker middle part of her LP she finished the program splendidly. Not many skaters are able to come back into the program after missing one or two elements. She maybe should need extra motivation? I don't know. Wish she could afford to spend a couple of seasons abroad in a competitive field, it would make her even more consistent and a better skater.

I feel exactly the same way as you. IMO, I think she deserves higher Performance, Composition and Interpretation scores at the least in comparison to how certain skaters above her score skated (not gonna name any names but ya know who..)

With that said I do think her problem isn't also about motivation. It may also have rooted from the pressure that surrounds her (ie. KSU and also live up to her name especially from 2014 WC). Thankfully enough that she has Dabin and Nahyun to divide that so I hope she isn't too hard with herself in the next couple of months.